McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I literally know almost nothing about McCulloch Chainsaws...I think the 7-10 is early 70's and the 700 is late 70's? Either way, they both run with a shot of fuel down the carb...so, that's promising.

dlpWhJl.jpg

TGlQt9O.jpg

LwROOi9.jpg

pepq4wG.jpg

Can you still get air filters for these? These are pretty rough, would love to get some new ones if available...I haven't had time to look around the internet.

I literally know almost nothing about McCulloch Chainsaws...I think the 7-10 is early 70's and the 700 is late 70's? Either way, they both run with a shot of fuel down the carb...so, that's promising.

dlpWhJl.jpg

TGlQt9O.jpg

LwROOi9.jpg

pepq4wG.jpg

Can you still get air filters for these? These are pretty rough, would love to get some new ones if available...I haven't had time to look around the internet.
Air filters are available even on Amazon.

They both look very good. As stated air filters are readily available. The pm700 is likely from the later 80's. The gray oil tank is a later color scheme. Its heavier than the 7-10. Both are great saws that can cut with most modern saws....they just rattle more.Screenshot_20210420-065707_eBay.jpg
Heres a filter on ebay along with a few part numbers for you to look for.

Yep. Earlier 7-10 with fairlead on the starter and later PM700. Coupla nice examples. Leaks are common at the tank seam and at the fuel line opening to the tank, so don't be surprised if you encounter either or both. Various solutions are available for each..., some better than others. Sawzilla sells a Viton tank gasket that comes highly recommended. Some make their own. Some just apply a generous amount of MotosealGrey to the seam and cross their fingers. Fuel lines are a crap shoot from aftermarket sources with many folks fashioning their own using a grommet and off the shelf fuel line among other methods and solutions, including molded Stihl lines.

Yep. Earlier 7-10 with fairlead on the starter and later PM700. Coupla nice examples. Leaks are common at the tank seam and at the fuel line opening to the tank, so don't be surprised if you encounter either or both. Various solutions are available for each..., some better than others. Sawzilla sells a Viton tank gasket that comes highly recommended. Some make their own. Some just apply a generous amount of MotosealGrey to the seam and cross their fingers. Fuel lines are a crap shoot from aftermarket sources with many folks fashioning their own using a grommet and off the shelf fuel line among other methods and solutions, including molded Stihl lines.
Thanks! Definitely the type of information I was looking for.

Stihl molded lines is an interesting solution!

Your 7-10 is from the middle of the run. Early saws (1970) had the lever type DSP, mid range saws (1972-'74) had the pop up compression release and no throttle safety release, later saws (1975-'76) had the pop up compression release and the throttle safety release. It is interesting to note that both the 5-10 and the 6-10 continued in production until beyond the time the 7-10 was introduced. The 5-10 was still being built in 1971 and the 6-10 in 1972.

Mark

Your 7-10 is from the middle of the run. Early saws (1970) had the lever type DSP, mid range saws (1972-'74) had the pop up compression release and no throttle safety release, later saws (1975-'76) had the pop up compression release and the throttle safety release.
Good points. And when did they actually introduce the chain brake (if original equipment on this particular saw)? I don't see one listed until what I believe may be the last 7-10 IPL (at least in my collection) dated 1976. It's not shown in my '74 version.

Perhaps there's still a tag in the airbox?

Good points. And when did they actually introduce the chain brake (if original equipment on this particular saw)? I don't see one listed until what I believe may be the last 7-10 IPL (at least in my collection) dated 1976. It's not shown in my '74 version.

Perhaps there's still a tag in the airbox?

There is a tag...I'll get a picture of it. Noticed it when I was trying to fire them up.

That tag presents some curious contradictions and could technically put that saw anywhere between 1971 and 1975 according to at least a couple of different McCulloch publications -- which most of us have come to realize can be rather wide-ranging in their varying degrees of accuracy -- and is part of what makes researching McCullochs so much fun!

This, of course, depends on how original the saw has remained throughout its life and/or what parts were available off the shelf during its production. The chain brake is clearly out of context for an '11' prefix serial number, (particularly such a low one), which would conceivably date the saw as early as 1971, or at least put the tank/airbox in that era. Another feature dating the tank are the bosses for attaching the lever style DSP assembly. There is also a cutout for one in the cylinder shroud along with an early style muffler exactly like my very early '10' prefix 7-10 -- (which I will always contend is just a left-hand start 6-10A). LOL

Another curious aspect of the '11' prefix in this instance is its association with the 'D' suffix in the model number, which in at least one publication wasn't assigned until the '12' prefix was introduced -- which is obviously incorrect.

I'm certainly not questioning Mark's observations. As a matter of fact, his pointing out the continuing production of the 5-10 and 6-10 could actually account for the peculiarity in parts vs. tag on this particular 7-10 if it were indeed a '72 or later saw and there were simply leftover 5-10/6-10 parts sitting on the shelf (needing used in true Henry Ford style) to meet a particular 7-10 production deadline. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time it was done.

One other item mentioned recently in another thread that may provide a ballpark clue to dating the saw is the carburetor. Several were used and many had date stamps. Hardly a definitive way to date anything but the carb itself, but could help with getting in the vicinity of when the saw was produced.

Regardless of any of the above, those are two very cool saws and you are certainly in the right place for showing them off and getting help with them if needed.

That tag presents some curious contradictions and could technically put that saw anywhere between 1971 and 1975 according to at least a couple of different McCulloch publications -- which most of us have come to realize can be rather wide-ranging in their varying degrees of accuracy -- and is part of what makes researching McCullochs so much fun!

This, of course, depends on how original the saw has remained throughout its life and/or what parts were available off the shelf during its production. The chain brake is clearly out of context for an '11' prefix serial number, (particularly such a low one), which would conceivably date the saw as early as 1971, or at least put the tank/airbox in that era. Another feature dating the tank are the bosses for attaching the lever style DSP assembly. There is also a cutout for one in the cylinder shroud along with an early style muffler exactly like my very early '10' prefix 7-10 -- (which I will always contend is just a left-hand start 6-10A). LOL

Another curious aspect of the '11' prefix in this instance is its association with the 'D' suffix in the model number, which in at least one publication wasn't assigned until the '12' prefix was introduced -- which is obviously incorrect.

I'm certainly not questioning Mark's observations. As a matter of fact, his pointing out the continuing production of the 5-10 and 6-10 could actually account for the peculiarity in parts vs. tag on this particular 7-10 if it were indeed a '72 or later saw and there were simply leftover 5-10/6-10 parts sitting on the shelf (needing used in true Henry Ford style) to meet a particular 7-10 production deadline. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time it was done.

One other item mentioned recently in another thread that may provide a ballpark clue to dating the saw is the carburetor. Several were used and many had date stamps. Hardly a definitive way to date anything but the carb itself, but could help with getting in the vicinity of when the saw was produced.

Regardless of any of the above, those are two very cool saws and you are certainly in the right place for showing them off and getting help with them if needed.
This stuff is always fun to sift through. Thank you for your take.

Talked to the previous owner, he bought it from his step brother who is a tree guy and likes to tinker with saws. He said it's more than likely that he put this saw together with parts saws he picked up for free off craigslist.

Don't use any sealer on the oil tank gasket, you often need to go back in to adjust the automatic oil pump so any sealer highly complicates the task. eBay seller gotfishon makes a nice reproduction oil tank gasket from relatively thick material that seals well with just the screw as long as the mating surfaces are clean and smooth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCULLOCH-...821196&hash=item26383db69b:g:lMAAAOSwZJRei5ps
You can find NOS pumps on eBay from time to time but most of the time all that is needed is to replace the gasket (hard rubber seal) between the tank and the automatic pump and make sure the clip is in place. Some of the early saws had three screws that secured the automatic oil pump in place, those used a thinner gasket from more conventional gasket material. If you take the manual pump off the top of the oil tank do not lose the small disk (some are phenolic, some are aluminum) that make one check valve. There is a fairly comprehensive thread on the 10 Series oiler to help you check things out before you put it all back together.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mcculloch-10-series-oiler.249620/
Mark
Mission control, I think we have a problem here. On the inside of my oil tank, is a piece of gasket, and no pump. I saw the manual pump and figured that's all this saw had. I'm used to manual only. Oh well. When I go back to my old saw guy, maybe this week end, I'll check what ever Macs he has left.

@heimannm, Mark, if he has a cs 400 do you want it. I'm down to pretty much parts saws, I think he'll give it to me for 10 bucks, if it has a good P/C.

I'll keep an eye on ebay, they have some stuff now.

North East Tennessee MAC Report

It seems winter is trying to return to North East Tennessee with clouds and wind. However, weather didn't interfere with a few minutes of falling this evening. The 800 took down two MAC worthy trees in short order.

First a White Oak:
IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6304.JPG

Then a Red Oak.
IMG_6306.JPG

Yes, I put it down on the saw log pile. No where else to put it and it looks like it will be a while before we can sell the logs.
IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6309.JPG

Be Safe,
Ron

Thanks Joe, photos would be nice. Shipping will probably make it less attractive but at least we can investigate.

Mark
If he has one I can pull it apart and send the P/C. He’s about two hours from me. I just checked my cell and I lost him in my contacts when my phone crashed last week. So, I can’t call him.

Back