McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After soap and water I normally give it a rinse with acetone then allow it to dry completely before the Red Kote.
You would use acetone on a previous layer of Red-Kote before applying a second coat? Seems like it would dissolve what was already there and just turn it to goo.

I think a quick rinse with acetone and a thorough drying would not be a problem. Don't leave any liquid acetone soaking in the tank or it will dissolve the Red Kote even if it is completely cured. I tried soaking a BP-1 diaphragm in acetone in an old Red Kote can that had cured for many months and the acetone did indeed dissolve the Red Kote and turn it to goo over several weeks.

Mark

I have the opportunity to buy a Mac 15 in really good shape & it runs.It's missing an assortment of screws,nuts,& bolts,oiler button,air filter,& maybe other odds n ends.Wondering what it'd be worth?It also has the PO's SSN scratched into it.

Well,things here just go from bad to worse.The DE80 OPL is screwed up & doesn't work,so that saw is crap.Then today I was working on trying to get the boot back on the SP125,what a giant PITA! I ended up taking the tank handle off again & fgound a nice crack in the boot.Chances are that saw will never run again.I might as well part it out,unless someone has a source for a new boot,part # 69889.I'm 0 for 7 on the last 7 saws I worked on,thoroughly disgusted.

I just bought the 2 for $60.I only saw one other for $39.If I install it properly I'll have an extra one ,so maybe I can help someone out.I know Aaron Rybicki was looking for a boot a couple of yrs.ago.
Sorry Poge,I guess this 125 may live to cut again after all.Now if I could just get that damn OPL to work right on the DE80 I'd be a happy camper.

The same pic I posted the other day. It illustrates the lever and spring orientation of both the trigger and OPL pretty well. If you had trouble with the throttle rod in the first place, you may want to start there and go backward to the OPL..., or the other way around if the OPL was fine before you had issues with the throttle rod.

DE80 Tank.jpg

The spring that's supposed to lock under the OPL itself is sticking up on the side of the OPL.I've pushed it down & locked it in place under the OPL,but it keeps popping up on the side.I think it's bent out of shape.I didn't have any trouble hooking up the throttle rod at all.

Poge,#24 is the spring that keeps popping up on the side of the OPL & sticks right up on the right side of it.I push it back down & get it to hook on the underside of the OPl,but it doesn't stay in place.

Now I found out that I most likely have a broken recoil spring.How do I get the bolt out of the pulley?Is it a left hand thread?

This is a broken throttle linkage on a 5-10G with a bullfrog carb. Can anyone help me find this part? If I can’t find it, or for future reference, what material is a suitable replacement that will bent and be rigid enough?
5A76B96D-CD07-4E37-84F5-171A0F39D2DC.jpeg
AD45CD88-88ED-43ED-B195-10ACCDBD05D1.jpeg

I have used some stainless steel TIG filler to fabricate replacement throttle and choke linkages. I think I was using 3/32" diameter material but I could be wrong about that. I bought a fairly expensive set of wire forming pliers from Micro Mark that seem to work pretty well.

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/mic...vbKh3xVwK6xUOVk3VSFb2C01NeJMflZhoC9wcQAvD_BwE
Mark
That's a great tip.That set of pliers is exactly what I need.Have had mixed results (workable to poor) using different sized needle nosed with some patience in the past.
Will buy them in a month or two after getting caught up elsewhere first.A couple unfinished projects need some linkage repair/replacement.I know of this hot saw builder in Nor Cal who has used common stainless steel leftover bicycle spokes.I forget the diameter,havent been on a bike in 40 yrs,but have some odd junk bike parts a former neighbor gave me a couple years back.

Thanks for the info Vinny! I was able to get the bolt loose that held the pulley on the spindle on the DE80 recoil.It's confirmed - it has a broken spring.At first I couldn't find the break,but after looking it over carefully it was on the outermost loop.It must've broke right after I put it on the saw,or it might've even been broken prior to me putting it on the saw.It could've very well been damaged in the accident that retired the saw early.When a saw goes flying off a truck or trailer going 50-60 mph there's gonna be a lot of damage done.

Latest posts

Back