McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bruce, looking at your location signature, I'd say I live 1/2hr. from you.
In fact on Saturday my daughter is playing in a soccer tournament in Kinkora

Small world!!

Here's a 1-71 or 1-72 that I got running for a friend.

IMG_0010small.jpg

IMG_0106small.jpg

I must have about 25. From minimacs to 7-55. 3-25's. 47's, 33's, 15's, 250's, super55a, 110, 310. 410, and of course my 250 with the mc92 in it. I don't use them for firewood. I used to use a 1-71, but they're just too loud, and vibrate too much. I race the mc92 and one of the 250's. One of the 47's runs really well, I run that at our steam and gas show along with the 7-55. Here's a link to my 250 racing. It has a 9t/.375 sprocket and square ground chain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GJL3scFmwk
Scott

I know all about the noise, you can't fix that, only with ear muffs, but you can fix the vibration problem. I went into a bicycle repair shop, and bought some handlebar tap/ foam, from Shammano and wrapped the handlebar with it. The tape/foam eliminates the vibration really nice, and your knuckles don't lock up either. Makes the handlebar thicker, and more comfortable to hold onto.
Bruce.

Maybe I can help

Bruce,

If you know the Part Number for the bar plates I may be able to help you out. I have stock of new and old parts for some of the older equipment.

I also have quite a few parts lists (IPL's) on the computer if you want to give me a model. Just PM with your e-mail address and I can send the list(s) along.

I will be traveling and out of the country from 6-14 July and don't know it I will have access to my e-mail during the trip (Egypt and U.A.E.) but glad to help if I can.

Mark

Bruce,

If you know the Part Number for the bar plates I may be able to help you out. I have stock of new and old parts for some of the older equipment.

I also have quite a few parts lists (IPL's) on the computer if you want to give me a model. Just PM with your e-mail address and I can send the list(s) along.

I will be traveling and out of the country from 6-14 July and don't know it I will have access to my e-mail during the trip (Egypt and U.A.E.) but glad to help if I can.

Mark
Hi Mark.
the part number for the bar plates is 64325. My email address is [email protected]. The ipls that I am looking for is for Mac 1-10, Mini Mac 30. That would help me out a lot. Thanks for now. Bruce.

I once tried pipe insulation that you would use to insulate plumbing, it was far too thick. The bicycle foam must be thiner. After getting a 7900, it would be hard to go back to the old macs for firewood duty.
Scott

I once tried pipe insulation that you would use to insulate plumbing, it was far too thick. The bicycle foam must be thinner. After getting a 7900, it would be hard to go back to the old macs for firewood duty.
Scott

Yes, and it works great as well. I happened to find an old package and it is from Shimano, Soft and durable cork tape, Gel insert to absorb shock and vibrations, Swear resistant, and non slipping when wet. If you have hand troubles, this works great. I use it on all my saws. I can't stand running a saw without it for very long, until my left hand starts to ache. Bruce.

3/4" heater hose works good too, can be a real s.o.b. to push on, a lot of silicone helps, or some other thing to make it slide. I did a Homelite the other day, it makes some difference having it on there.

3/4" heater hose works good too, can be a real s.o.b. to push on, a lot of silicone helps, or some other thing to make it slide. I did a Homelite the other day, it makes some difference having it on there.
Yes but be careful. Heater hose can get slippery when wet, or if oil happens to spill on it. I've tried heater hose before, but it is not as good as the Cork Tape. I've never had a problem using Shimano Cork Tape. It is designed for handle bars, and is a lot safer to use. Bruce.

In my small saw collection I have a Mini Mac 6 and a PM610. The Mini was hanging around in the case on a shelf for 6-8 years, not running. Was my grandfather's, then my dad's, then mine cause they couldn't get it running and figured I'd want to play with it. Didn't have any interest till I rebuilt my Husky 61 (main firewood saw, only other saw at the time). Pulled the old Mac out of the case, got it apart, got another for parts, and got her fixxed up! What a cool li'l thing! I was hooked and looking for the next one! Now I have 5 Huskies, the 2 Macs, half a dozen old Homies etc.
The Mini has 1/4pitch chain, I got a 16in NOS Mac 1/4in bar for her, but nobody seems to be able tell me how many links I need for that bar. Maybe you guys might know? And the best place to get 1/4 chain?
The 610 I got from a farmer that I buy wood from. He cleaned out the unused saws from under the workbench and I tuned an old Olympic up for the saws. I mostly got old Homies in the bunch, but the deal-clincher was the PM610. With a carb kit, I got the ol' girl going and if the bar wasnt shot, I think I'd be taking her to the woods. My friend said that a big maple blew down in his woods, this last storm...

In my small saw collection I have a Mini Mac 6 and a PM610. The Mini was hanging around in the case on a shelf for 6-8 years, not running. Was my grandfather's, then my dad's, then mine cause they couldn't get it running and figured I'd want to play with it. Didn't have any interest till I rebuilt my Husky 61 (main firewood saw, only other saw at the time). Pulled the old Mac out of the case, got it apart, got another for parts, and got her fixxed up! What a cool li'l thing! I was hooked and looking for the next one! Now I have 5 Huskies, the 2 Macs, half a dozen old Homies etc.
The Mini has 1/4pitch chain, I got a 16in NOS Mac 1/4in bar for her, but nobody seems to be able tell me how many links I need for that bar. Maybe you guys might know? And the best place to get 1/4 chain?
The 610 I got from a farmer that I buy wood from. He cleaned out the unused saws from under the workbench and I tuned an old Olympic up for the saws. I mostly got old Homies in the bunch, but the deal-clincher was the PM610. With a carb kit, I got the ol' girl going and if the bar wasnt shot, I think I'd be taking her to the woods. My friend said that a big maple blew down in his woods, this last storm...

All you need to do is count your drive links on your chain. For a 1/4' chain you should have 68 drive links. A 12"-1/4" has 62 drive links. Bruce.

I have come across a Mac owners manual that looks to be mid 70's vintage. It seems to be a one size fits all manual for a whole bunch of saws, no specific model numbers are even mentioned in it. Does anyone else have one of these manuals? I am bummed the saw didn't come with it tho :(

Thanks for that info, Bruce
Jason

No Problem. Glad to help. There are a lot of guys here on this thread that have lots of McCulloch Saws, that you will find. lawnmowertech37, and heimannm are good guys to ask questions, if I can't help you. If you start at the beginning of this thread at page 1, you will also see lots of other guys here to. Don't ever hesitate to ask any questions OK. Somebody will surly be glad to help. Bruce.

Bruce, looking at your location signature, I'd say I live 1/2hr. from you.
In fact on Saturday my daughter is playing in a soccer tournament in Kinkora

Small world!!

Here's a 1-71 or 1-72 that I got running for a friend.

IMG_0010small.jpg

IMG_0106small.jpg
Kinkora is 3 3/4 miles West on line 42 of me. I'm 1 1/4 miles east of Wartburg. I met another guy in the Pioneer Fourm, that lives in Sebringville, goes by pioneerguy. You just never know where people are until you start posting. I sharpen chains here with a bench grinder between $2.00, and $4.00
per chain. If you need chains sharpened that is. Did your daughter's team win yesterday? Bruce.

Old Mac's Saws

Well.... guess I'd better check in here...

1225A complete and running
5-49 (2) both complete and running
3-25 (14)
4-30 (2)
4-30A
47 (3)
33 (3)
33A
35 (2)
35A
S-33 (3) one with Mac brushcutter moose-leg-loper attachment
D-33 LeSabre
49 (rare saw!)
S-44
S-55
77 (rare saw!)
7-55 complete and running need rubber handle grips
1-40 (4)
D-30 (3)
D-36 (5)
1-41 (3)
1-43
1-51
99 (with auger attachment and 3 augers)
250 (3)
S-250
MAC 15 (2)
1-10
2-10
3-10E with brand new electric starter box and battery
6-10
7-10A
10-10 (8 or 12)
PM6 (2)
MM6
G-70
PM555
SP81
EB 2.0
EB 2.1
EB 3.7
PM605
PM610 (7)
Silver Eagle
EM300S

... might have over-looked a few...

... still looking for a good 73... 39...

:cheers:

Last edited:
Well.... guess I'd better check in here...

5-49 (2) both complete and running
3-25 (14)
4-30 (2)
4-30A
47 (3)
33 (3)
35 (2)
35A
S-33
D-33 LeSabre
49 (rare saw!)
S-44
S-55
7-55 complete and running need rubber handle grips
1-40 (4)
D-30 (3)
D-36 (5)
1-41 (3)
1-43
1-51
99 (with auger attachment and 3 augers)
250 (3)
S-250
MAC 15 (2)
1-10
2-10
6-10
7-10A
10-10 (8 or 12)
PM6 (2)
MM6
G-70
PM555
SP81
EB 2.0
EB 2.1
EB 3.7
PM605
PM610 (7)
Silver Eagle
EM300S
and an O&R Meier Line

... might have over-looked a few...

... still looking for a good 12-25A... 73... 77... 39...

:cheers:
For your handlebars of your chainsaws, I use Cork Tape from Shimano. It's used for handle bars of bicycles, and works pretty good. It has a gel insert that absorbs the shocks, and vibrations. It's also sweat resistant, and is non slippery when wet. I have it on 5 of my saws, and will be putting it on 3 more saws soon. Bruce.

Back