McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some McCullochs I picked up from Ric.

001.jpg

002.jpg

009.jpg

McCulloch Chain saw

Hey, I see that 1-63. I have a 1-62 and need a crankshaft and a few other pieces. I learned from Stinkbait that Crankshaft from 1-60,-61,-63, and MC-5 Kart engine have the same p/n. But there is no cross reference to see what other saws have the same crank. I very vaguely remember from the past that the MC 5 had a ballbearing on one side and a needle on the other side of the crank.
Does anyone know of more options for a crankshaft? These saws are 80cc.

I am about to buy a new piston and rings for my SP81. On the IPL it list 3 different pistons, "A", "B", and "C". The IPL says that there is a corresponding letter on the cylinder to let you know which piston to get. My question is where is this letter stamped on the cylinder? I have disassembled the saw all the way down to the engine and can't find the letter "A", "B", or "C" anywhere. Someone please help!

McCulloch saws

Those are 3 nice saws and the doggies are OK too. You got green grass!
I have snow.

I gotta mow that grass today, third time this year. Spring has been spotty, the plants haven't cared.
I filled two spots on my 87cc McCulloch list, the 4-30 and 1-70. The 797 needs recoil work, the 1-63 fired when primed, P&Cs look great, I also picked a 1-70 and 795 parts saws with good motors.
willysmn, I have a crank from a 1-50, it's the same motor as the 1-60, it might work, the 1-63 has a motor with nondetatchable head.
I spent maybe two hours with Ric, the extent of what he has is boggling, if I had the bucks.............

Mac cranks

Thanks for info, RandyMac. I'll talk to you about the crank. Back in the Go Kart days, there was a 7 cu in Mac with a non detachable head, but the others had head gaskets, MC-5,-6,-10,-20 and were 100cc or smaller. The -5 was the smallest and wasn't much until it was stroked and a thin ring piston added. Same for the -10.

Hey Randy, all those saws were runners at one time :D

My best buddy gave me that 797 around 95 and it sat in my carport flower bed for a few years.

It wasnt till about 2 years ago when I discovered what it was in regard to the chainsaw addicts.

It had a 14" bar on it when I got it and he told me that to get it started
he would dump gas in the muffler cause the choke, (primer) did not work.

my buddy is suppose to be up here to help with my move soon so I hope you can get it up and running and some nice pics to show him. :)

Mac gear reduction saws

I don't understand the need for the gear reduction on these older Macs. It would give more torque but at a slower chain speed. What were the designers thinking?

The early saw engines didn't have the power we have today. The gear drive allowed them to pull enough chain while still having a light enough engine.

We're talking here about engines that made best power in the 5Krpm range....

They actually cut reasonably well...

J

The early saw engines didn't have the power we have today. The gear drive allowed them to pull enough chain while still having a light enough engine.

We're talking here about engines that made best power in the 5Krpm range....

They actually cut reasonably well...

J

There are the old geardrives that needed gear reduction, then there are the more modern geardrives like the XP Homelites and McCulloch 890 series, they were used with long bars, in the biggest of timber. There is nothing slow about the motors, you are just going to have to try one.

just seen this old post. my dad has a mac 10-10 (if i remember correctly) has been using it for as long as i remember, and that was when i was somewhere around 6 or 8 maybe (am 37 now :monkey:) i think he bought it used. it needs a new muffler, otherwise i don't think he has even replaced the spark plug in it. it don't sit on the shelf either. it has cut a lot of of wood and is still real strong. i hope i inherit it someday.
aaron

He's travelling in europe. As a matter of fact, he'll be visiting me tomorrow. I've a few projects laying around he can work on all saturday. :greenchainsaw:

Good. I was wondering if we needed to send out a search party. Hope yall have fun.

I've put on a few miles this week. This morning I am in Frankfurt, heading to the train station after a bit to go over to Belgium for the weekend with Belgian. Roland has promised something interesting for tomorrow, like going through a rusted old chain link by link to free it up. Should be a good way to spend a day.

Meanwhile back at home, my wife still has to go around the line up of new old saws on the floor in my workshop.

attachment.php

Thanks for asking...

Mark

I've put on a few miles this week. This morning I am in Frankfurt, heading to the train station after a bit to go over to Belgium for the weekend with Belgian. Roland has promised something interesting for tomorrow, like going through a rusted old chain link by link to free it up. Should be a good way to spend a day.

Meanwhile back at home, my wife still has to go around the line up of new old saws on the floor in my workshop.

attachment.php

Thanks for asking...

Mark
"Daunting" is my first thought when I see that photo, where do you start :)

Back