McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm just one of the many attachments offered for the Mac 33 series of chainsaws it's nice to see it coupled up to a Super 33 but these saws were 56cc in later years Stihl used the 08s in a similier configeration at least they offered plenty of power although they were heavy they were meant for mainly commercial use or professionally years later the Japanese flooded the world with brushcutters and whipper snippers but what got the whipper snipper better accepted was the auto feed heads in place of the old two whisker type.

Mc Bob.

I wanted to get this bush cutter checked out today but alas, life got in the way. (again)

If I decide to mess with it I'm sure I will need some guidence from you Mac experts.

If I decide to part with it I will let it be known also.

Well... since Bruce started this thread about Mac's, we won't get off into the Lombard's here... they're another of the old saw makers... some really clunky antique saws when you get into their 1940-1950's models. I just used Lombards as an example of counter-weights for the brushcutter... there's a few Old Mac chainsaws which weigh more than the whole rig... without even getting into the 2-mans.

I rummaged around in my Mac's today and found some models I left off my earlier list:

Pro Mac 55
Super Mac 55A
Power Mac 310
Power Mac 320
Power Mac 330
Power Mac 340 (2)
Pro Mac 700

Bruce, I think McBob is The Man on the high-cc Mac's... tho Al Smith and some others know the racing end of the Mac's really well, too. Probably Wayne Sutton in Amboy WA has the most Mac's under one roof... unless the House-o-Saws or Bryce at cheapsteelparts has as many...

Mark, I'll rummage around in my Mac literature and see if I can find some sales flyers on that brushcutter.
I found an article that stated McCulloch had 29 firsts over the years that were important innovations to the chainsaw market since 1948, for other saw maker to follow. Since the 1980's it looks like things have kind of went down hill ever since.
Since I posted this thread, I never knew of models beyond, until I seen you guys post to my thread. Thanks for all your help, and knowledge of your McCulloch Equipment, and posting your pictures. I'm sure that there will be more posting to this thread as well. Thanks again. Bruce. Its been a pleasure sharing with you, and a pleasure of you sharing of such well designed machines and as well handled machines as Bob McCulloch intended for us to use from generation to generation.

I found an article that stated McCulloch had 29 firsts over the years that were important innovations to the chainsaw market since 1948, for other saw maker to follow. Since the 1980's it looks like things have kind of went down hill ever since.

Well that was about the time Mac started adding all those none McCulloch's into their lineup ( Titans, plastic Mac's, Dolmars, Partners, their last great series of saw was the 600 series ) by this time the big reed valve engines were finished off.

Mc Bob.

I don't have any Mac saws but I have the chance to pick up a couple Mini Macs. I don't know much about them but thought they might be a fun project. Are thet worth getting? I know they're not very big saws but I can probably get them both for 50-60$
Apparently they both run if primed..

Thanks

I don't have any Mac saws but I have the chance to pick up a couple Mini Macs. I don't know much about them but thought they might be a fun project. Are thet worth getting? I know they're not very big saws but I can probably get them both for 50-60$
Apparently they both run if primed..

Thanks
Thats a good price. I use Mini Macs all the time, here for limbing. Nice and light saws for that type of work. I cut up to
4" to 6" stuff with mine, then I go to a bigger saw after the bruch is removed. I also use them with a marking stick, to cut at desired lengths. I place the marking stick down, and before the chain touches, I grab with both hands, and cut about 1/4" deep, and move my stick for the next mark, on down the line. Takes the guess work out of it, for cutting with the bigger saws. Bruce.

:yourock:

I'd appreciate an IPL on the MAC 110. I'm trying to fix my father-in-law's saw, it needs a new chain at the least. Thanks!

[email protected]

i will get one ready to send your way it may be probily on tommmorrow since i just got back in the door not to long ago and am really tired so i will get that on the way sometime tommorrow

thanks
calvin

No chance on any of yall having a carb for a Pro Mac 700 eh? I found one on fleabay, but I keep getting out bid. So needless to day, I don't want to take a hammer to my computer because I'm pissed.

No chance on any of yall having a carb for a Pro Mac 700 eh? I found one on fleabay, but I keep getting out bid. So needless to day, I don't want to take a hammer to my computer because I'm pissed.
If you have the number, and type of your Carburetor, you can get a replacement Carburetor Repair Kit, on the Buy It Now to match your Carburetor.
I found a guy there, not too bad in price, for buying, and shipping. I ordered 4 for my Mini Macs, and 4 for my other Saws, priced from $8.99, to $11.50. My Pro Mac 700 has a Walbro SDC Carburetor on it.
Probably yours has as well. I also noticed a brand new carburetor as well in the Buy It Now section, and you won't have to worry about being out bid. If you are mechanically Inclined at all, get yourself a Carburetor Repair Kit. That way you know what you have, when you are done.
I have a few spare Walbro SDC Carburetors here, but I have no idea, how the Diaprams are like, or what kind of shape they are in, or nothing like that I recommend, you rebuilding yours as well.
Bruce.

Especially for our canadian friends on AS, I fixed up this little feller today.
It's quite a thrifty Mac I must say, but why thy called this model 'canadian', is still a mystery to me ...:poke: :hmm3grin2orange:

canadianasmall.jpg

canadiancsmall.jpg

How do you get to the carb on these saws? I have one and it needs a carb cleaning!

You have to remove the whole engine to get at the carburetor. You have ti remove all the bolts, even the filter, and the starter mechanisms, the both front and top handle. There is even a bolt inside the filter shroud that has to be removed.
The choke lever has to be removed, and without removing the spark plug, and turning in the needle valves, slide the whole engine out through the front of the saw.
There is a slot in the bottom of the saw, you might have to take a screw driver, and push up on the fuel, and bar oil tank.
Pay attention to how the bar oil pump is put together, because there is a "T" that comes out of the oil tank, that is between the pump, and the oil tank.
If you get stuck, dont hesitate to ask. Somebody will gladly help you out. Bruce.

Especially for our Canadian friends on AS, I fixed up this little feller today.
It's quite a thrifty Mac I must say, but why thy called this model 'Canadian', is still a mystery to me ...:poke: :hmm3grin2orange:

canadianasmall.jpg

canadiancsmall.jpg
They probably call it Canadian, because McCulloch had a plant that built Chain Saws up here in Ontario, for a while. Mississauga to be exact. For a while the Mac 10-10 was called Light Weight for a while too. I asked another Member of As about the Mac 10-10 Light Weight, and he said it was an Advertisement thing. So that is what I think, what happened in this case with your Saw. Bruce.

You have to remove the whole engine to get at the carburetor. You have ti remove all the bolts, even the filter, and the starter mechanisms, the both front and top handle. There is even a bolt inside the filter shroud that has to be removed.
The choke lever has to be removed, and without removing the spark plug, and turning in the needle valves, slide the whole engine out through the front of the saw.
There is a slot in the bottom of the saw, you might have to take a screw driver, and push up on the fuel, and bar oil tank.
Pay attention to how the bar oil pump is put together, because there is a "T" that comes out of the oil tank, that is between the pump, and the oil tank.
Bruce.

That's indeed the way to do it. It looks complicated and a lot of work but actually it isn't really. Mine had a ton of oily sawdust in it so the engine did not come out easily. I also had to take out the idle screw otherwise the engine would not slide out. You also have to remove the coil and the flywheel to get the carb out. I have respect for the guy who engineered this saw...;)

Last edited:
That's indeed the way to do it. It looks complicated and a lot of work but actually it isn't really. Mine had a ton of oily sawdust in it so the engine did not come out easily. I also had to take out the idle screw otherwise the engine would not slide out. You also have to remove the coil and the flywheel to get the carb out. I have respect for the guy who engineered this saw...;)
If I remember correctly, there was a Homelite Modle that came apart basisly the same way as the Mini Mac. That was when I was in High School, 20 some odd years ago. Don't hold me to that, it was a long time ago.
I agree with you. Who ever engineered this saw, sure knew what he was doing. These saws are really nice to work with too. Bruce.

Back