McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's indeed the way to do it. It looks complicated and a lot of work but actually it isn't really. Mine had a ton of oily sawdust in it so the engine did not come out easily. I also had to take out the idle screw otherwise the engine would not slide out. You also have to remove the coil and the flywheel to get the carb out. I have respect for the guy who engineered this saw...;)

Personally,I think the SOB that enigneered that thing should have his butt whooped. Way to much BS to get to a carb.

I have had a few of them, and have gave them away with the instructions that I never want to see them again.

In fact the fellow that got the Macs from that I posted earlier in this thread tried to get me to take two of them from him for free. I told him I wanted no part of them and he laughed and said "I don't blame you".

Just my take on em, if you like them then great.

Pro Mac 555

I have a Pro Mac 555 that my father gave me new in 1978. It has been well cared for and cut lots of wood. Looks good and runs as well as it ever did. Only repair, recently resealed the gas tank.

I been thinking of this thread for so long...

Mcculloch chainsaws............
I guess my love for them is frm the memory of my Dad...He had this one of the first I remember and was a rh start,but just cant remember what model it was,,and I was a child and would stand on the handle and start it for him,,but I remember his pro mac 55 so well...He bought that saw when I was 12 years old...The comp release was sh*t then ......I dont know why,,,I have the most moderen saws you can have now,,,with my 210,,440 Stihl,,,but when I pull out my old Macs...I always will remeber with the sound it makes,,and always think of the times I have had with him in the woods.....I enjoy cuttin with them as much as my Stihls...
I hope you all know the most important thing there is too,is spending time with your kids in the woods,,and sharing what the good Lord gave us,,and teach them..

I have to agree with ModifiedMark - The engineering on these saws made them throw-away disposables. If you can do your own fixing, o.k., but for someone to take one to a shop & get charged the hourly rate for a simple carb rebuild, they just aren't worth it. For 99.00 ? You could get a new one. Not just the little Macs, but the small Homelites too - Poor engineering in my opinion.

My Mac110 will be 30 years old in a couple of months. It has never had the carb rebuilt, but it starts and runs like the day it was new. Engineering exists to serve many purposes. That design made McCulloch a lot of money, and put a saw in peoples hands for an easy to reach price. I paid $69.99 brand new.

Last night I picked up a MiniMac 35 and a Mac 110 from an add on craigslist. $25 for the pair.

They had been sitting for years with all the fluids drained. I think I'll have to tear apart the carbs to get them working. They start if I dump some fuel directly into the carb. The 110 is also missing the piece of plastic that covers the intake.

Still seems like a good way to spend $25

My Mac110 will be 30 years old in a couple of months. It has never had the carb rebuilt, but it starts and runs like the day it was new. Engineering exists to serve many purposes. That design made McCulloch a lot of money, and put a saw in peoples hands for an easy to reach price. I paid $69.99 brand new.

I think you got your moneys worth!

Last night I picked up a Mini Mac 35 and a Mac 110 from an add on craigslist. $25 for the pair.

They had been sitting for years with all the fluids drained. I think I'll have to tear apart the carbs to get them working. They start if I dump some fuel directly into the carb. The 110 is also missing the piece of plastic that covers the intake.

Still seems like a good way to spend $25
I think you did all right for $25.00. If you need a plastic cover for your intake, to hold in your air filter, I have a few spare covers here, that I salvaged from a few saws I parted out for myself. let me know if you need one, and I also can spare an Air Filter as well if you need one. Bruce.

In order of motor size I have a mac125 (123cc), model 73 (120cc gear drive), pm1000 (100cc), super44A (87cc), 1-53 (80cc), 250 (80cc), G-70 (72cc), pm610 (60cc) and an early 10-10A (50+cc). All of them get used in rotation then cleaned and displayed until the next go-round. The 73 is a beast with a long bar once you dig the spikes in and push. The 125 is a legend and deserves it. The pm 1000 cuts about like a 660 with a 32" bar on it (maybe a little more guts). the super 44A is heavy but surprisingly quick. The 1-53 and 250 cut about the same and share a bar. The 10-10 is one of the strongest saws in this size segment that I have ever used. Oh yeah..... I almost forgot about the little mini mac 6 top handle.
hoss.
According to my 9Th Edition Chain Saw Service Manual, the Mac 10-10 Automatic, is a 54cc Chain Saw. According to The Application Guide for Oregon Guide Bars, and Chains, it has enough power to run a 28" bar.
I have a 24" Bar here for my Pro Mac 700, I thought that some day I might put it on for a few cuts, to see how she handles it. I've had it on my Pro Mac 60 once in the Bush, because I couldn't get the Pro Mac 700 to start.
Later I found out that the gap for the flywheel, and the Electronic Ignition where not set right. Once I got it set right, never had a problem getting it started, and I have always checked and set the gap on every saw, since then, and I check the gap as part of my service routine. Bruce

Here are some photo's

Bruce suggested I add a few photo's. Most of these appear in other threads but here they are a bit more organized.

attachment.php

Model 47, may be the oldest McCulloch I own

attachment.php

D44, another old one

attachment.php

1-40 and D-30 (center pull starter)

attachment.php

McCulloch 35A, I don't know why they thought turning the power head 90° was a good idea

attachment.php

Mac 15, their first attempt at a low cost "consumer" saw, shared a lot of components with the 200/250/300 saws.

More to follow

Mark

McCulloch gear drive saws

attachment.php

McCulloch 1-85, I love the sound of this saw

attachment.php

The 1-85 with the new sawdust guard

attachment.php

McCulloch 1-62, modified to left hand starter. I added the sawdust guard to this one as well after these photo's were taken.

attachment.php

1-62, starts and runs well, 1/2" pitch chain

I like my Mini Macs. Very handy little saws. I use mine every day in the Bush, for the liming work, and cut stuff up to 6", then I get one of my bigger saws. I have a marking stick, I use for marking to desired lengths. I just touch the chain on the tree, enough to place a mark, about a 1/4" in depth. It takes the guess work out of cutting. Before I used the saw to do this job, I used a hatchet, to chop a mark, where I wanted to cut. It was a tough time some times to see the mark you left with the hatchet.

attachment.php

L-R 1-85, 740, SP125C, SP125C, this was taken before I got the 550

attachment.php

My favorite twins

attachment.php

Oops, My dad (Art), me (Mark), my son (Joshua), my grandson (Grady) Only Grady has not run McCulloch saws...yet.

Mark H.
Nice picture of your Family's Men Mark. Nice to see 4 Generations like this. It's some what an rarity, to see this. In a few years, you'll have another McCulloch Operator there, to help. Bruce.

attachment.php

1-10, Nice runner but equipped with McCulloch .354 chain

attachment.php

McCulloch 300, the one that got me started again

attachment.php

McCulloch 450, 87cc

attachment.php

McCulloch 550, 99cc and a strong runner

attachment.php

McCulloch 740, I think I finally have this one starting and running right

That 740 Mark is one very impresive saw. How many cc'c roughly would it have? Is it direct drive, or gear driven? Bruce.

Went to the bush yesterday, with my 1650 Cockshutt tractor, and hooked onto a big Ash top, and proceed to drag it out of the bush. Got it part way out, and got it hung up. The top was so wide, that when I tried to pull it through, that the big, and thick branches wouldn't bend, or budge.
I had to go behind my barn, where I had put my portable saw,carrier/work bench, I carry with my loader tractor and get my Pro Mac 60.I had to split the top at the butt. the but of this top is almost 20" across, and had to pretty big limbs. The limbs are around 16" across after the but.
I cut one limb of at the butt, and had to cut another limb of up further. I had 3 chains on the tractor, so I was able to bring it out of the bush in 3 sections.
I also had to cut up some other stuff as well, so I used my number 2 Mac 10-10 Automatic. It was using way too much bar oil, so I adjusted it back too far, now I have to open it up again, and adjust it to use a little more bar oil.
I'm on my way out to cut up this top shortly. I don't like dragging tops out right now, because of the dirt in the bark, and dulling chains quicker, but I don't like Poison Oak, and the bad rash I get from it either. Bruce.

McCulloch 740

The 740 is 6.04 In³ or 99 cc, direct drive saw. Just one of the peculiar things about this model is the fact it is equipped with an air vane type governer, along with the McCulloch carburetor.

If I have in fact worked through the carburetor issues, I hope to run this one in Baraboo, WI on the 15th/16th assuming I get back to USA on schedule.

attachment.php

Here is a view of the other side of the 740, the right hand starter actually more difficult for me to operate even though I am right handed. that coupled with the fact this saw can kick a bit during starting makes it a little interesting to get going.

Mark H.

There are very few threads that I have enjoyed reading more than this one. That's why I have never sold any Mac chainsaw that I own, and mine date back to 1977. All of them run. After awhile, they become a part of you. McCulloch is truly the American Heritage of both logging and firewood cutting. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back