McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guessing it is some sort of inspection or proof mark, I have seen similar markings on a few of the saws I own. I have also seen that spot used to indicate when a block was bored oversize.

This is a 1-80 with a J in that spot.

IMG_4738.JPG

This is a 1-86 bored 0.030" oversize

DSC02570.JPG

By the way, that spot was originally provided as the "sump" for the Lubri-Mac system the directed "crankcase residue and heavy condensate" from the crankcase to the chain to provide lubrication. The earliest front tank saws did not have any separate manual chain oiler but that was soon changed. You can see a number of the older saws with the modified fuel tank to add a manually operated chain oiler. There was a passageway in the crankcase that eventually lead to the bar pad to channel the crankcase residue to the bar & chain.

IMAG2494.jpg

You will see many of the older saws with the manual oiler added to the front of the fuel tank like this 1-40 in the background. The D-30 in the foreground has the original fuel tank and no manual oiler or separate oil tank.

McCulloch D-30 and 1-40 001.jpg

Mark

DSC00498.JPG

That was just the top layer...bottom layer

DSC00503.JPG

Had to put the parts & such in the truck.

DSC00586.JPG

Back of the Ranger was full so I had to use the space in the cab as well.

DSC00589.JPG

That was a good day.

DSC01490.JPG

And years later my wife will still make a road trip with me. Just the ones on the benches this time.

20171007_142127.jpg

Mark

View attachment 620551

That was just the top layer...bottom layer

View attachment 620552

Had to put the parts & such in the truck.

View attachment 620553

Back of the Ranger was full so I had to use the space in the cab as well.

View attachment 620554

That was a good day.

View attachment 620556

And years later my wife will still make a road trip with me. Just the ones on the benches this time.

View attachment 620559

Mark
Where ever did you happen to stumble across such a gold mine.. I would be inclined to build a whole new shop around those.. My wife doesn't see much of me now, but with that many toys, it would only be at dinner...and then only every other day.. What a treat to see all the old MACs. I'll be in touch for parts, that's for sure.. Now ya got me going..

Does anyone have production #'s on all the 10 series saws? Someone is trying to tell me that the 070/090 stihl were produced in bigger #'s than the 10 series.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All you guys looking for 82 cc MACs.....

Wasn't familiar with Bill G until now. Wow. That's a bunch o' saws. There's a collector near me with over six thousand saws. Yeah.., six thousand.

Even though I've been looking for a decent PM850 for a long time, my disposable income in retirement isn't what it used to be. Wish I could help Bill out by buying one from him. I do still have a road trip or two left in me, tho. Hmmm...

Otherwise, Merry Christmas and Best of the Season to everyone.

Merry Christmas all

Enjoying the day with a full heart.
Thinking of how to fix my sp80 that now is an overpriced basket of parts haha. Thinking of how to get it fixed. Nikasil or liner? Wait to find a piston or make one? Mind is rolling eith ideas but mostly aggrivated that someone ran this gorgeous saw into the ground by ignoring air filtration. Grrrrrrr
All fun anyhoo

Latest posts

Back