McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well geuss ya wouldn't really unless you were looking I spose does the other 10-10 pull that big bar ok?

Fair enough Vinny I get that and there light too. I don't mind the brake I love the short brake cover but only have just the one although after burning myself I understand why they made the long version lol.

I like to know if the short brake cover ever came with the older mac logo.

Could be a pm555 a 10-10s a 7-10 or a pm700 a picture up close of the decomp area would help. Also does it have points or electronic? Your going to need to pull off the starter to clean it anyway
Any of those models are worth the asking price all day.

That bar wasnt on that saw long, just didnt have the pull in hardwood. I put a 20" back on it and it's much happier.

Yea it's no regular 10-10 go n pick it up lol 57cc minimum.

Yeah was thinking 28 was a tad long especially when you have big macs for that sort of wood anyway. I run 16 on my 10-10 it's a fairly low hour one too and 20 inch seems about it really

Can someone tell me about this saw
301627d3fb343bdebac071c43c5e2342.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I picked up a 60 looks just like that one.
Decomp it black though .

Well guys - I gave the better part of the day to Kevin's 7-10 again today. Decided to dunk it in water and look for leaks, in addition to some burping through the automatic oil pump there was a tiny pin hole leak at the crankcase seam near the flywheel side seal. Took it all apart (again) including splitting the crankcase, did my best to clean everything up, and resealed the case using Dirko HT. After an appropriate time for the Dirko to cure, I checked it again under water and only the bit of air leaking was through the oiler.

While putting it back together I noticed I had been using the wrong gasket between the insulator and the fuel tank that did not fully surround the impulse passage. So, I put it back together again with the gaskets in the proper orientation. It still did not run correctly but now it would not rev up properly so I removed the carburetor (again) and found the gasket between the carburetor and the insulator was damaged (I can't imagine how that could have happened, it's only been apart and together about two dozen times) so I replace both of the gaskets, put oil in the bar oil tank to help seal the pump shaft/piston and added a bar and chain. It will idle now, acceleration is not as snappy as my good 7-10 and I haven't had a chance to try it in wood but is seems we have made some progress.

I am not calling it a victory yet, but it does seem to have made some improvements.

Just to illustrate the gaskets between the insulator and fuel tank...

What I had

20190429_171808.jpg

See?

20190429_171814.jpg

The correct one

20190429_171716.jpg

Mark

Thought I'd share a small repair of a 10 series sawdust screen. As you all know it's hard to get them so getting creative can save them if you have a couple broken ones. Anyway here it is I forgot to grab a picture before but you guys know what they get like after years of abuse.20190305_193748.jpga new section I cut from another busted up one. The one I fixed had two broken out sections but the outside "rails" I'll call them were ok so I trimmed out all the stubby bits and used small little cable ties to hold the new section in20190303_203933.jpg20190303_203938.jpg I then used some hot glue from the inside and seems to hold up well so far the bigger section is facing forward and this is my favorite saw at the moment so getting used every weekend and is the limbing saw too lol so it seems to hold up to sticks n crap ok20190430_150740.jpg 20190430_150846.jpg
Mite get into welding them with a soldering iron next time but hot glue is easy and risk free.

Well guys - I gave the better part of the day to Kevin's 7-10 again today. Decided to dunk it in water and look for leaks, in addition to some burping through the automatic oil pump there was a tiny pin hole leak at the crankcase seam near the flywheel side seal. Took it all apart (again) including splitting the crankcase, did my best to clean everything up, and resealed the case using Dirko HT. After an appropriate time for the Dirko to cure, I checked it again under water and only the bit of air leaking was through the oiler.

While putting it back together I noticed I had been using the wrong gasket between the insulator and the fuel tank that did not fully surround the impulse passage. So, I put it back together again with the gaskets in the proper orientation. It still did not run correctly but now it would not rev up properly so I removed the carburetor (again) and found the gasket between the carburetor and the insulator was damaged (I can't imagine how that could have happened, it's only been apart and together about two dozen times) so I replace both of the gaskets, put oil in the bar oil tank to help seal the pump shaft/piston and added a bar and chain. It will idle now, acceleration is not as snappy as my good 7-10 and I haven't had a chance to try it in wood but is seems we have made some progress.

I am not calling it a victory yet, but it does seem to have made some improvements.

Just to illustrate the gaskets between the insulator and fuel tank...

What I had

View attachment 733063

See?

View attachment 733066

The correct one

View attachment 733067

Mark
Very nice, I'm glad you are making progress. I appreciate the efforts.
I guess I will stop using motoseal. I resealed that crankcase twice and gave it 48 hours to cure the second time around.

Kevin - I like Dirko as it is so much easier to clean up when you have to do it again...I do have an unopened tube of Threebond 1184 just in case I run out of the Dirko.

Jethro - I have these available when you run out of bits to work with.

20180207_083756.jpg

Not as much open area as the originals but much more durable and they fit very in a very snug fashion.

Mark

Its definately a sellers market right now. I have to admit i just sold that pm800 the other day. I was shocked! The auction started out with a buy it now for 575.00 or starting bid at .99 cents. When it was over the winner paid $1289.99 total!! My wife asked me how many more could we sell? Lol...silly woman. Makes you think about it though.
dang!! some people hate to loose lol..saw a super 33 go for 2500 last year

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Spent all day cutting today started the 1st 7-10 at 8am and here's a short little vid of a few play cookies of the first tree for the day

Run three macs all day and none missed a beat. I remembered to grab a few pictures today not very well thought about but any way..
View attachment 732712
That tree in backround got the chop it was just under 30 inches at the bottom.
View attachment 732713 View attachment 732714That macro above is next hopefully it has like 5 big 20 odd inch trunks and the main one before the split is massive for me and my little 24inch bar.View attachment 732715That's around 80 years old and the others are even bigger lol they grow fast here and they are everywhere these and big pines and blugum trees are our horizon.View attachment 732727 so far we've (3 of us) cut 16 trees out of here probably 20 inch average some way bigger I've cut the majority and has been a nice learning experience.View attachment 732728 View attachment 732730
An old guy who was working on the farm had a real treat seeing all these old macs from 40 years ago. When he was in his 20s cutting firewood he ran them he hadn't seen them for a long long time and also thinks he has some bits n bob's for them in a box somewhere so was cool having a yack about them. He didn't realise people still ran these things especially not young blokes

He was also in amazement at me using an old steel wedge from donkey's years ago too.
nice man!!!

Kevin - I like Dirko as it is so much easier to clean up when you have to do it again...I do have an unopened tube of Threebond 1184 just in case I run out of the Dirko.

Jethro - I have these available when you run out of bits to work with.

View attachment 733166

Not as much open area as the originals but much more durable and they fit very in a very snug fashion.

Mark
How much Mark?

dang man that sucks..i almost stuck my head into one running trying to see if it was oiling felt the teeth run through my hair

Aww hell man very lucky I bet you won't do that again.. was it oiling? I touched a running mower blade once lol was on the ground looking at the carb for a leak and sorta forgot theres blades under there Haha felt like tiny electric shocks and at first thought my brain was trying to figure out how the plug lead was shorting out down there hahaha amazing what goes through your head in micro seconds.20190501_060008.jpg

Aww hell man very lucky I bet you won't do that again.. was it oiling? I touched a running mower blade once lol was on the ground looking at the carb for a leak and sorta forgot theres blades under there Haha felt like tiny electric shocks and at first thought my brain was trying to figure out how the plug lead was shorting out down there hahaha amazing what goes through your head in micro seconds.View attachment 733205
yes it was oiling had put a bar on it i had that was,made to fit only one way had backwards almost scattered my brains all over the yard bacause i keep my hair 1/4 inch long had the saw almost wide open and your right about how much info can run through your brain at one time glad it did to lol looks like your healing up good almost done the mower thing when i was a kid my pops saved me from that one

Aww hell man very lucky I bet you won't do that again.. was it oiling? I touched a running mower blade once lol was on the ground looking at the carb for a leak and sorta forgot theres blades under there Haha felt like tiny electric shocks and at first thought my brain was trying to figure out how the plug lead was shorting out down there hahaha amazing what goes through your head in micro seconds.View attachment 733205

I earned one of those burns on my first horizontal cylinder saw. Makes you jump a bit.

Back