McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a care package today for the 1010, but the 1010 is still in transit. Told my wife I was building more shelves in the garage, so she stayed in NC an extra day. I rearranged every thing. Put the odd ball saws on the short Oak shelf. Put up a new 8/4 live edge Redwood shelf for the Echos. Putting up 2 more 8/4 Redwood shelves tomorrow. I now have enough Macs for their own shelf. I think when I take the 550 down I'm going to see if I can get it running. It starts on a prime. As soon as the 1010 gets home, I'm going to test it out on an Oak log. Now I'm wishing I knew what the 2 big Macs Dad had in the barn were. When he retired and moved, i took all the saws stored in the barn. The 2 Macs dissapeared. I asked where they went? He gave them to his cousins son who raced karts. He said he had mounts to put them on his twin engine kart. Thanks for the flag Ron, it will be installed by the weekend.

Got the PM800 back together today just have to put the clutch on, question when putting on the clutch
is it spacer then dust shield. Thanks

Today was the day. I bought this saw off e bay with a busted up oiler. I didn't check compression wanted to run it first.
Being dry for so long it felt like 300 pounds so primed it with some mix to loosen it up some, fired first pull and started after 5 more pulls
was much easier to pull too. Quit right away but started right back up with some choke. Before starting I adjusted both high and low at 1 1/4 turns.
had to turn idle up just a touch and it ran and idled perfect. Both the manual and auto oiler seem to be working not sure how well yet.
Have to admit I was some what nervous will check compression later on when my buddy is around not as young as I once was will be easier
with more hands. Hope I can pull it over fast enough to get a good reading. Couldn't get my plug wrench on so have to find one
that works are others having that problem or just me. Might be a while before I can put it in some wood but the 800 Lives

Attachments

• 20200126_162353.jpg
    20200126_162353.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
Today was the day. I bought this saw off e bay with a busted up oiler. I didn't check compression wanted to run it first.
Being dry for so long it felt like 300 pounds so primed it with some mix to loosen it up some, fired first pull and started after 5 more pulls
was much easier to pull too. Quit right away but started right back up with some choke. Before starting I adjusted both high and low at 1 1/4 turns.
had to turn idle up just a touch and it ran and idled perfect. Both the manual and auto oiler seem to be working not sure how well yet.
Have to admit I was some what nervous will check compression later on when my buddy is around not as young as I once was will be easier
with more hands. Hope I can pull it over fast enough to get a good reading. Couldn't get my plug wrench on so have to find one
that works are others having that problem or just me. Might be a while before I can put it in some wood but the 800 Lives
I was watching that eBay auction. Really cool to see how the story ended. That saw lives to tell another story.

That a 500vl? Was the saw that brought me to AS and interested in saws as a hobby. Still got it looks just as tidy runs like a top. Not hugely powerful but pulls a 16 real good and smooth as silk
Yes, they are from the right, 750 EVL, 650EVL, 500VL, 345, 305, 300. The 500 starts easy and idles like a charm. My buddy said you had to let it idle for 10 minutes before it would rev up. Sure enough, I tried to rev it and it spit and sputtered. Let is sit a few more minutes and it spit and sputtered. Then just let it idle while I did something else, came back and blipped it a couple times and that bugger revs. It revs so fast you have to pay attention because the torque from the chain spinning makes it rise fast. I could see it hitting you in the chin if you don't have a grip on it. My Vet has a 601 VL some one traded her for services on a pet. It hadn't run in years. I took it home and shot a prime down the carb and it started up and ran great. Cut a pile of wood and gave it back. Next day they couldn't get it started. That was 4-5 years ago. It's her ffarm I've been cutting dead ash on. i'm going to offer her $10 bucks the next time I go cut.

Yes, they are from the right, 750 EVL, 650EVL, 500VL, 345, 305, 300. The 500 starts easy and idles like a charm. My buddy said you had to let it idle for 10 minutes before it would rev up. Sure enough, I tried to rev it and it spit and sputtered. Let is sit a few more minutes and it spit and sputtered. Then just let it idle while I did something else, came back and blipped it a couple times and that bugger revs. It revs so fast you have to pay attention because the torque from the chain spinning makes it rise fast. I could see it hitting you in the chin if you don't have a grip on it. My Vet has a 601 VL some one traded her for services on a pet. It hadn't run in years. I took it home and shot a prime down the carb and it started up and ran great. Cut a pile of wood and gave it back. Next day they couldn't get it started. That was 4-5 years ago. It's her ffarm I've been cutting dead ash on. i'm going to offer her $10 bucks the next time I go cut.

Haha 10 bucks ya jammy bugger:) 15?

What's the 650 go like? Allways wanted to get a bigger 1 but now spare money goes on Mac's and poulans

I just don't remember where the 650 came from. The 750 has a dead module in it. I took the 650 down stairs to see if the modules would switch. No they don't. The 650 has great spark, so I figured I'd go get it running and play with it. Prime nothing. Started taking it apart to pull the muffler and it is about the cleanest saw I've ever seen. No saw dust in the fins, no oil, looks like it The hardly been run. Pulled the muffler and there is a streak running down from the ports to the bottom of the cylinder. I'm thinking some one straight gassed it on the first or second refill.

I just don't remember where the 650 came from. The 750 has a dead module in it. I took the 650 down stairs to see if the modules would switch. No they don't. The 650 has great spark, so I figured I'd go get it running and play with it. Prime nothing. Started taking it apart to pull the muffler and it is about the cleanest saw I've ever seen. Now saw dust in the fins, no oil, looks like it has hardly been run. Pulled the muffler and there is a streak running down from the ports to the bottom of the cylinder. I'm thinking some one straight gassed it on the first or second refill.

Aww what that's gutting man. Wonder if the cylinder is ok

The rest of the cylinder looks new. Some one I let look at it said they thought the streak was transfer from the piston and would clean up. It's just sitting for now. I'd really like to find a module for the 750. The Stihl dealer that I got the 4 big Homelites and the half inch chain from had a couple Echos with dead modules, he said if the owners didn't want them back I could have them.

The rest of the cylinder looks new. Some one I let look at it said they thought the streak was transfer from the piston and would clean up. It's just sitting for now. I'd really like to find a module for the 750. The Stihl dealer that I got the 4 big Homelites and the half inch chain from had a couple Echos with dead modules, he said if the owners didn't want them back I could have them.

Sounds like your going to have quite the collection of echos.

Have you looked at adapting another ignition to the 750?

My 7-10 needs a piston and just got my Pro Mac 700 running the only thing Iv'e cut with 4.3 craftsman is some
4x4 lumber so don't know yet. Ask me in the spring

Haha ok

Good info right there. I thought they'd be closer to 6hp though. Oh well.

HP numbers would be another thing to document here too. With verified sources, like brochures or actual Dyno runs. I was searching info on older 80/87cc Macs earlier and wound up on a vintage karting thread that quoted some old hp numbers from brochures. Highest I saw for one of the old 80cc motors was 5hp, but some models like D30 was 3.9hp.

Yes I agree 100%. Most old Macs have a lot more torque than their modern counterparts. HP certainly doesn't mean everything, it takes torque to get work done. If we could spin them a couple thousand more rpm the HP would be right up there too.

The only other published ratings I have seen were from Germany and posted here; don’t remember the numbers but they were greater than a Stihl 660 so I suspect they were inflated. Also had a rating of the Sachs 118cc saw at 12hp. On the other hand the rating for the PM700 was pretty low but consistent in comparison with the published rating of a Stihl 036Pro to my experience with both. Several aeronautical sources quote the MAC 101B at 15hp. I am not sure what exhaust was being used. With a pipe I could see this.

I would like to see published rpm in typical bar length wood. If I recall correctly in Brian and my little test years back, the 800s and 850 were turning no load in the mid to high 12,000 with the DE80 governed at 10,000 and not a nickel’s worth of difference in cutting.

Ron

Haha ok
I talked to a guy that rebuilds/makes modules for 1 model of 2 stroke dirt bikes from back in the 70's. He charges $350 for the dirt bike module, and guarantees it for life. He said it's easy and would work on the Echo too. I should talk to him. If it's easy I could make a few bucks fixing all of the dead Echos.

Haha ok
More specifically to the question, I've only asked around here when the subject comes up. No one had an answer. That's one reason we need an Echo stickie. Some one might have a cure for dead modules but never check out the other forums.

More specifically to the question, I've only asked around here when the subject comes up. No one had an answer. That's one reason we need an Echo stickie. Some one might have a cure for dead modules but never check out the other forums.

I'm not familiar with the Echos. Does it have a one or two piece ignition?

Back