McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For that tank repair I doubt TIG is a valid option given the condition of the material. After sand blasting put some tape over the hole (on the outside just to be clear) then apply the JB Weld to in interior of the tank. You can press a piece of window screen wire into the JB if you feel you need additional strength. After the JB fully cures you may need a bit of filler to smooth out the edges but you may get by with a simple sand and paint.

Here is a flywheel cover I repaired that way.
Mark

Nice! I have a feeling that's the route this is going to go...

That's the only way I would approach prepping that tank for repair regardless of your patching method. Shouldn't cost much to have it done if you don't want to spend the money on your own setup.

Hopefully - have to start hunting around or put a request out on nextdoor or something. If I go to a company that does that in this area, they'll charge an arm and a leg just to walk in the door. I keep eyeballing a cabinet at horror freight, but I've only got a 30 gallon compressor, which of course means I'll "have" to buy a larger compressor... :D

So .051 t0 .066 it is. Thanks Poge.

On another note, I got the needed parts for the PM700 so I replaced the fuel tank gasket, fuel line, and sprocket. Installed all the parts and wanted to make a test cut so headed out. It ran well and cut decent until I hit a nail[emoji35] but it didnt seem smooth.
Back in the shop, upon closer inspection the chain was getting tight-loose-tight as I rolled it around. After some fussing and measuring with a vernier caliper I determined the Stens sprocket I bought was .021 out of round[emoji35]. Not happy about it at all. It was only $3 so it was a cheap lesson, but what the hell.
I am a Stens dealer and use a lot of their parts. I'm just glad it wasn't on a customers saw.

Yes it does, I was surprised too.

I just ordered an Oregon sprocket for $9.95 with free shipping. A few bucks isnt worth the aggravation.
I almost always run Oregon, but recently got lucky with a Chinese knock off , everything in the kit was wrong or machined wrong but the drum was good.

Is it a full skirt 69412/85240 piston?
According to my IPL, PN63287
167fb71cf3b8b81343d7fe75e5c36b5d.jpg
d313a58cc1037d2e3e1182225a795e6f.jpg
b677b42f3984c5902f7dd307c4a7ed0e.jpg
f667ac0471eda45b4cb73533836e311f.jpg
8fe1498550e2d0bbcf1cb2938d581c1c.jpg
64366766ccc4e70cbba5191c8f052db7.jpg

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Beautiful still day in North East Tennessee, temperatures in the twenties with a few lingering patches of snow and ice. Brian and Lee were off to Kentucky for a relative's 80th birthday. With the ground fairly firm, I thought it would be a good day to haul some of the firewood length wood we have cut. My M1008 had other plans and after 2 hours trying to crank it, I dropped $350+ at the local AutoZone for a pair of batteries. OUCH! Installed them with the help of my s-i-l and the truck fired instantly. We loaded it with a nice rounded over load of ash and walnut and filled the M101A3 trailer about flush with the bed sides before running out of time. Got back to the lot just as they were locking up for lunch. Unloaded and enjoyed a nice lunch of pork roast, greens and corn prepared by a local church. We had no inmates today. Seems there was some incident at the jail that resulted in a lock-down so with all the extra food I took one for the team and had seconds. So much so that I had to pass on the cake and brownies.

I guess by now you have figured out that there was no MAC action today. Sorry.

Now everyone but Jethro close your eyes. Jethro, I was able to slip by lab security with this early 2018 photo of an unfinished prototype part. Don't go blabbing, I could get my clearance pulled.

IMG_2778-001.JPG

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

Beautiful still day in North East Tennessee, temperatures in the twenties with a few lingering patches of snow and ice. Brian and Lee were off to Kentucky for a relative's 80th birthday. With the ground fairly firm, I thought it would be a good day to haul some of the firewood length wood we have cut. My M1008 had other plans and after 2 hours trying to crank it, I dropped $350+ at the local AutoZone for a pair of batteries. OUCH! Installed them with the help of my s-i-l and the truck fired instantly. We loaded it with a nice rounded over load of ash and walnut and filled the M101A3 trailer about flush with the bed sides before running out of time. Got back to the lot just as they were locking up for lunch. Unloaded and enjoyed a nice lunch of pork roast, greens and corn prepared by a local church. We had no inmates today. Seems there was some incident at the jail that resulted in a lock-down so with all the extra food I took one for the team and had seconds. So much so that I had to pass on the cake and brownies.

Now everyone but Jethro close your eyes. Jethro, I was able to slip by lab security with this early 2018 photo of an unfinished prototype part. Don't go blabbing, I could get my clearance pulled.

View attachment 800422

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

There's a picture of me somewhere with 3 monkeys sitting on my shoulders ,one of them has a cigarette! My buddy in college had keys to the psych lab.
Thats what I imagine , is going on there only with chainsaws.

Ok. Cool. Thanks for the pics. Interesting that the 5-10 IPL I have shows the 69412 piston with 85241 rings as does the piston and ring sets table. Which rings did you get, then?
Whatever Mark is sending me lol. I dont have them yet. But I gave him the PN from my IPL so hopefully they are right.

View attachment 800422

Ron

Very very cool Ron. I've got many many questions but I'm sure all will be revealed all in good time and wouldn't want to compromise security

Just got my Super Pro 60 needs a good cleaning otherwise looks good will post some pictures once its cleaned.
Question I have is I live in Northern Mi average altitude is probably less then 500 feet my saw came from Oregon
where altitude average is around 3000 feet My saw has a fixed high speed jet do I need to re jet if so is the jet easy
to get to and marked. What size jet would I need? Hate to burn my saw down not that it will be used hard or that much.
Thanks Kevin

Mark, I am restoring my old 35 and dropped the little ball, number 64 on the diagram. Would you know where I might be able to find one? I dropped it and it rolled off into the wild blue yonder.

I need it running so Ron can cut with it all day.

upload_2020-2-23_0-27-42.png

Also number 62 gasket. I know it's a long shot but does not hurt to ask.

Brian

Back