McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jethro I am waiting on time, inspiration, intrepidation and motivation!
Have the materials and tools but scared spotless to cut metal haha. Might be doing it aprilish when the weather breaks but too wet to work outside

Fair enough. You were going to sleeve it from memory?

The saw I had a pic of is for sale on Feebay & is the same seller that 2broke got his 5-10 from.Some people think sdhe's a good seller,I don't think so because if I ask any details about a saw I never get a reply.I'm not the only person this happens to either.I wouldn't buy that saw at that price of $149 + $48 shipping + taxes.Too much IMHO.
Ed
I bought a beat up poulan from there just for parts I was the only bidder so was cheap, except shipping was 3 times what I paid for the saw. very worthwhile just don't expect fast shipping, I also have asked for details on some of the saws no replys.

Well yeah true. Do the Mac rings have the end gaps set? I have bought 1 set for a 10-10 and they are way too long so assumed they were in the wrong box.

The two 82cc saws feel like no end gap at all or a very small 1. I've got a 4000 I set to factory end gaps and it's like a gaping hole in comparison
I noticed that too with some of the poulan saws you have to subtract the piston ring pin width when the rings are flat against the pin. just did a 3000 like that compression was a solid 130 with used parts. Kevin

I bought a beat up poulan from there just for parts I was the only bidder so was cheap, except shipping was 3 times what I paid for the saw. very worthwhile just don't expect fast shipping, I also have asked for details on some of the saws no replys.
I bought about 4 or 5 saws from the seller all were good except for one.What I like about the seller is that she provides free returns,so if something isn't acceptable I can send it back free of charge.I only sent back that one saw,it was pathetic,but if you're not going to do a simple reply,then pay the price of free return shipping.
Ed

Yea jethro, i dont care that much to map out a chainsaw or to go into the depths as the 7-10....lol.
I was just curious. Many factors involved.....anyone got toilet paper??? Lets talk about this insanity awhile. Apparently now we are not prepared for the zombie apocolypse like we thought with all our saws. Instead the poopocalypse has hit first and our saws are useless for that issue...hahahahahahahaha
You won the internet with that one! Omg lol!

My brother was at one of the local antique shops this morning and sent me these pics. It came from whistling jacks lodge up on chinook pass when it closed recently. Looks like they want $250. I’m tempted but have nowhere to put it lol! Anyways enjoy a piece of PNW history
980FF636-B378-48A2-8301-C182C62EA355.jpeg53FAEAA8-C160-4383-B639-1545040D2A6A.jpeg8138A59F-EAA8-4B76-8DA9-718AB7732C70.jpeg6A4FC28C-46A0-4D41-B70F-AFB4D20EA91C.jpeg

Ok,

In the interest of the 70 cc ten series cause I stripped my latest Pro Mac 700 acquisition and port timed it.

This saw looks to have never been tampered with, its a 600061B, carb dated 1-79. Thin ring, divided transfer, unbridged exhaust, and in good shape. I will picture it once I run it through my works washing plant next week. Its a right manky thing, despite already been cleaned as best you can intact.

Exhaust opens 100' ATDC - 160' duration.

Transfer opens 117' ATDC giving 17' blow down.

Intake opens 61' BTDC - 122' duration.

As I mentioned earlier, the exhaust / transfer timings are similar to more modern designs. The intake duration is short compared to modern designs. This likely explains the high torque / low rpm characteristic of the 700.

Lets see if we can find some more data - afraid I don't have a 7-10. Mean time I will give some thought about modification. The short intake is an issue. I suspect the exhaust, whist not short on noise, is short on optimal performance. I am prepared to loose some torque at low RPM to pick up some more RPM BHP on this saw. I don't want to turn it to a peaky boggy saw, or end up with excessive reversal on intake - spit back - by over doing intake duration.

Roland.

Ok,

In the interest of the 70 cc ten series cause I stripped my latest Pro Mac 700 acquisition and port timed it.

This saw looks to have never been tampered with, its a 600061B, carb dated 1-79. Thin ring, divided transfer, unbridged exhaust, and in good shape. I will picture it once I run it through my works washing plant next week. Its a right manky thing, despite already been cleaned as best you can intact.

Exhaust opens 100' ATDC - 160' duration.

Transfer opens 117' ATDC giving 17' blow down.

Intake opens 61' BTDC - 122' duration.

As I mentioned earlier, the exhaust / transfer timings are similar to more modern designs. The intake duration is short compared to modern designs. This likely explains the high torque / low rpm characteristic of the 700.

Lets see if we can find some more data - afraid I don't have a 7-10. Mean time I will give some thought about modification. The short intake is an issue. I suspect the exhaust, whist not short on noise, is short on optimal performance. I am prepared to loose some torque at low RPM to pick up some more RPM BHP on this saw. I don't want to turn it to a peaky boggy saw, or end up with excessive reversal on intake - spit back - by over doing intake duration.

Roland.

Thank you very much that's nice information

North East Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Didn't even notice the weather today so let just call it a beautiful day in North East Tennessee. The woodlot is out of wood. I took the afternoon off mid-week to bring in two white Oaks - thought it would take a couple hours, put in almost 7 hours. No MAC work. Did some scouting and phone calling - found three bull dozed red oaks on relatively level ground that were already limbed but each still had its root ball. Perfect size for the PM800. Due to the Conoravirus cancellations, I was suddenly free of Friday evening obligations so I used the time to make two loops of semi-chisel chains for the PM800, prep the PM800, put together some 32/1 mix and got the trailer hitched last night.

Last week Brian re-injured his shoulder, so I went solo. Didn't think to take any pictures until I was almost done.

Third of four loads. It took two skidsteers to parbuckle off the side the second load so I cut these to fit the other way. Made for some challenging chain binding and a slooow ride to the woodlot. This load parbuckled off the rear fairly easy though we had to have someone in the truck on the brakes.
IMG_5096.JPG

As I said the woodlot is empty.
IMG_5098.JPG IMG_5107.JPG

They are bucking, splitting and hauling wood brought in today. A mild winter so far, but I think we are going for a new volume record.
IMG_5102.JPG IMG_5101.JPG

I told you Brian was hardheaded, here he is with his PM800 bad shoulder and all. I bet Lee had to shift gears for him on the way home. He even had his SP125C out today. He and Lee are in the first woodlot picture making sure everything is cut today.
IMG_5106.JPG

Be Safe Out There.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Attachments

• IMG_5103.JPG
    IMG_5103.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 5
My son & I went out cutting today for the first time this yr.We were going to take a Homie XL-923,but the damn thing won't draw fuel after a carb rebuild last yr.It was yellow to the rescue.We had two PM700's (one had a 20 in.Windsor bar & chain on it,my $45 Feebay special,the other had a 24 in.bar on it),& a Timberbear with a 20 in.bar & chain.My son did the cutting & I did the loading.We hauled home 2 good size loads of ash.The trailer is loaded pretty good when the John Deere 140 front end bobs up & down from the weight of the wood.Lol We dropped the ash tree last April & hauled home all of the limb wood last yr.We're now into some serious sized trunk.I'll have to come up with a 28 or 30 in.bar & chain to do some serious cutting.
Ed

Decided to mess around with the 10-10 flea market saw i picked up a few weeks ago, withe the broken oiler button. Sorry Jethro but I found one too cheap to make one.
I already had a rebuilt carburetor for it and I replaced the oil button. Strangely enough I couldn't depress the button with or after running the saw . I removed and cleaned the oil pump but it was not fixing it. I could push the button with the throttle goosed running but idling it would not push.
I had a parts 10-10 and replaced it, works great now.20200314_131105.jpg

As Ron said I am hard headed, but felt the need to cut today. Just don’t feel right not cutting or helping in some way.
I started out the morning with thePM800 for some bigger stuff and then went to the 10-10S for some smaller stuff. Then Ron came in with a load of 10 to 15 inch logs and I switched back to the PM800. At lunch Ron brought in some bigger logs. I had planed to quit after lunch but knowing that Ron had a load of logs and another person had a load, I thought what the heck. Plus I had the SP125C with me and it had not been ran in a long while and needed
Some exercise. Though I was hurting I loved watching that beast chew through wood. On the last log my chan loosened for some reason. But by that time I was done. Happy but hurting. I loaded up and headed home.

By the way we are finding talents all the time that Ron has that we had no idea he could perform!!!

7F1B67E8-061F-4280-9445-4FAD8EF72EE4.jpegB9365CA5-0832-40DB-8B5F-71079C7EAC94.jpeg

I have a PM700 that's giving me some problems.The oiler is pumping out oil like there's no tomorrow.I checked the screw in front of the tank cover & it was tight.The oil is coming out at the pad,but not normally,it's gushing out.
The other problem that came up is it'll run fine when I start it up cold & it'll run fine till it runs out of fuel.After refueling it acts like there's water in the fuel & there isn't.It has almost no power & very difficult to throttle up.If it were a reed saw I'd suspect reeds,but it's piston ported.I bought this saw about a yr.ago & never really used it till today.
Ed

As Ron said I am hard headed, but felt the need to cut today. Just don’t feel right not cutting or helping in some way.
I started out the morning with thePM800 for some bigger stuff and then went to the 10-10S for some smaller stuff. Then Ron came in with a load of 10 to 15 inch logs and I switched back to the PM800. At lunch Ron brought in some bigger logs. I had planed to quit after lunch but knowing that Ron had a load of logs and another person had a load, I thought what the heck. Plus I had the SP125C with me and it had not been ran in a long while and needed
Some exercise. Though I was hurting I loved watching that beast chew through wood. On the last log my chan loosened for some reason. But by that time I was done. Happy but hurting. I loaded up and headed home.

By the way we are finding talents all the time that Ron has that we had no idea he could perform!!!

View attachment 806679View attachment 806681
It sounds like you need a pro mac 60 for the in between stuff , nice and light but pulls a 24" just fine.
Your cutting skills are great.... but that flat shovel technique needs alittle work.

Latest posts

Back