McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was there an 8-10 Mcculloch?
2673083d0d132cba5b0820734a3d64a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the other day i was asked by a friend to show a picture of some of my mcculloch saws. So i did, it took a few to set it up and get them all in the frame. Now i know others have more saws than me but i have a few and here they are...first are the 82cc, followed by additional 70cc, 10-10's and mini's and a couple others then all of them. It was kinda cool to see them all sitting in one spot. I didnt realize i had so many of them to be honest. 20200315_132528.jpg20200315_133032.jpg20200315_133714.jpg20200315_133654.jpg

So the other day i was asked by a friend to show a picture of some of my mcculloch saws. So i did, it took a few to set it up and get them all in the frame. Now i know others have more saws than me but i have a few and here they are...first are the 82cc, followed by additional 70cc, 10-10's and mini's and a couple others then all of them. It was kinda cool to see them all sitting in one spot. I didnt realize i had so many of them to be honest. View attachment 807675View attachment 807677View attachment 807678View attachment 807679

That's what you call a lifetime supply of McCulloch:) nice Vinny

I stripped the "parts saw" down to the short block tonight (pretty much) I dont think I can resist the urge to try to make a runner out of this. The P&C are in great shape and the compression feels solid. The worst part is the tank. I will media blast it tomorrow and see. I have a spare tank that will accept an SDC but then I would need an SDC and all the bits that go with it (spacers etc) I have a mind to try the bullfrog carb but that is dependent on the tank cleaning up.
At any rate, at the minimum I will need a fuel cap, recoil assembly, and air filter cover.
574cb5e7453e2872f6f658e80731d845.jpg
1c063c6da26a81274367487361f8b58c.jpg
888e72b7366ea9590abb59c3d64042ee.jpg
9139c940315006b3269b6d3184fa2fbf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I finally got the much needed parts from Bob J.for the Super 6-10A & the DE80 yesterday.Today I decided to tackle putting the recoil back together so I could at least give the saw a pull over to see how the compression felt.I got the spring put back in & figured I'd put a new rope on it as the old rope was tattered.I ran into a bit of a snafu.I've never seen a recoil pulley like this one.On the bottom of the inside of the groove where the rope lays there were 2 "bridges"that went across the pulley & the rope fit under them & was held in place with a rivet.I managed to pull the rope out & the rivet went flying.I fished the new rope through those bridges & tied a knot on the end so it can't slip through.I don't know how it'll work,I'll find out tomorrow.This is going to be an on & off project that might take quite a bit of time.I'm into wood cutting season already & already had my first casualty.One of my PM700's went down,the electronic module died on it,but I have many 610's that were more than happy to offer their module to get their big brother up & running again.I must say that those modules really put out a good jolt.Lol I also need some good warm weather to dry the Red Kote that I plan on putting in the new tank that I got from Mark.He was unsure if the tank leaked or not,so I figured as long as the tank is off the saw I might as well Red Kote it & be done with it.I have the next 3 days to take my time working on the DE80 & a couple of other saws,then on Sat.my son & I will hopefully get some cutting time in again.
Ed

McCulloch used that rivet in the rope technique for many, many models. I fear your knot in the rope might occupy too much space in the pulley and impact both the way the saw pulls over and the length of rope that will fit on the pulley.

McCulloch even made a special hollow needle to help push the rivet through the rope.

20180414_155240.jpg
20180414_155224.jpg
20180414_155247.jpg

Mark

I was looking at other style pulles for the 82 cc series saws on Feebay & noticed that they have a small hole up next to where the pulley attaches to the spring.Could I drill a hole & route the rope through that & eliminate the rivet technique?
Ed

Ive used an awl to poke a hole thru the rope and then insert the rivet. Not as efficient as a special needle, thats cool. It worked though. I tried heating the rivet and burning it thru, dont do that! Failure will occur. Rope broke. Twice. Gave up and went with the awl or ice pick or nail or anything that will fit the bill.

Back