McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had very good success with fuel tanks with a good cleaner or solvent and a handfull of 1/4" x 1" bolts and nuts. Large handfull. Shake back and forth vigorously and dump to look. Then repeat if needed. Usually will take 2 or 3 times. Maybe shake it arond for 5 minutes. It works very well.

I am having a stupid problem with my 1-52 but it is a problem nonetheless. It had a massive bar oil leak coming from the oiler piston. I pulled the fuel tank to investigate and found the umbrella on the oiler piston was fine but the o ring was shrunken and dried out. I tried to replace the o ring but the best fitting one I found locally is a little too fat apparently because if I push the piston in it wont come back out. Does anyone know the correct dimensions for this o ring and where to get one? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Bumping this, anybody got any info for me?

Project 1-53
Hi all, here´s my row of 1-53's. One very low serial number #00552 have Walbro/McCulloch carb but rest have Tillotson HL.
Plan is to get at least one good and 1-2 runner and one dedicated for spares.

Attachments

• 4153.jpg
    4153.jpg
    962.9 KB · Views: 9
I have to put the DE80 on hold for a little longer than expected.Yesterday I tore the fuel line off my PM700.Here's what was happening with it.If I started the saw up cold from sitting overnight,I had no problem,but as soon as I shut the saw off it wouldn't restart if my life depended on it.(been going on for a week now).Yesterday I had the air filter & cover off while trying to start it cold & after it started I heard a sucking air leak sound in the air box.The saw started as it always does when cold,but again as soon as I shut the saw off there was no restarting it.I pulled the carb partially to see if the gasket was good & it was.I pulled the fuel line out to see if it had a crack in it anywhere & it doesn't appear to have any.Anyone got any ideas on this one?
Ed

I have to put the DE80 on hold for a little longer than expected.Yesterday I tore the fuel line off my PM700.Here's what was happening with it.If I started the saw up cold from sitting overnight,I had no problem,but as soon as I shut the saw off it wouldn't restart if my life depended on it.(been going on for a week now).Yesterday I had the air filter & cover off while trying to start it cold & after it started I heard a sucking air leak sound in the air box.The saw started as it always does when cold,but again as soon as I shut the saw off there was no restarting it.I pulled the carb partially to see if the gasket was good & it was.I pulled the fuel line out to see if it had a crack in it anywhere & it doesn't appear to have any.Anyone got any ideas on this one?
Ed
There's a gasket under the insulator also.

I'm going with the new fuel line first.If the problem persists,then I'll see about ripping the entire saw apart to have a look at that gasket.I've got several 610's & Timberbears & I've never had one of those gaskets go bad.
Ed

it had some pretty bad corrosion in the fuel tank....

That's really not very bad at all. I'm with Vinny's nuts and bolts as a first shot to cleaning it up. Think I'd use diesel or kerosene and not anything more corrosive since it just looks like oxidation and not varnish. Looks like after the dusty stuff gets knocked off, any fuel you'd leave in the the tank would probably keep it from recurring.

Otherwise, media blast it and follow up with Red-Kote.

Nice saw, btw!

I did some searching today and cannot find any specifications for the 2050AV model. I will have to keep looking and see if I can find anything. I did get some additional photos but they are on the other computer.

You may find clues from some of the part number prefixes, particularly the molded parts. There's something eerily Husqa/Poulan looking about that saw to me. There's a PoulanPro 5020AV and several variants, but they're later production models and bear no resemblance.

2broke, would it be possible to use a smaller oring stretched over the piston to achieve less friction?
I had a smaller one in there that leaked like a sieve I have a whole metric and standard o ring assortment and nothing seems quite right.

Ron - "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking..."

Mark

As usual you are correct. My brain said it right but it didn't make it through to my fingers. I read it before I posted and thought to myself that that doesn't sound right and almost googled it, but convinced myself it was. Age or stress - for now I am going with stress.

Ron

Ben - I think I have the chain breaker that goes with that anvil. I will try to remember and get some photos when I am over in the museum again.

Here are some photos of the 2050AV.

20200322_140440.jpg

20200322_140405.jpg

20200322_140421.jpg

20200322_140432.jpg

20200322_140447.jpg

20200322_140505.jpg

20200322_140524.jpg

I found another Jenn Feng era saw in the attic as well but since this one has less than 90 PSI compression I will just move it over to the museum as it is.

20200323_174546.jpg

20200323_174819.jpg

20200323_174906.jpg

Mark

Some of my best runners started out grungy like that.

Someone asked about when our good old McCulloch last manufactured saws...here is the best information I have been able to piece together regarding the McCulloch timeline:

1931 - R.P. McCulloch starts McCulloch Engineering in Milwaukee, WI building centrifugal superchargers. That business was later sold to Borg-Warner.

1943 – Changed the name to McCulloch Motors Corporation, primary products are drone engines for Radio Plane and chainsaw engines for Reed-Prentice.

1946 - Move to California, purchased land near what would become LAX (airport)

1964 - Opened plant operations in Lake Havasu, AZ

1974 - Sold to Black & Decker

1977 - R.P. McCulloch dies

1984 - Private/Employee owned

1988 - Moved to Tucson, AZ

1999 - Bankruptcy, Europe goes to Husqvarna, North America to Jenn Feng (Taiwan)

2003 - Jenn Feng & MTD sign a distribution agreement

March 2008 - Husqvarna acquires Jenn Feng, McCulloch is now a brand within Husqvarna

Robert Paxton McCulloch was married to Barbara Ann Briggs (Briggs & Stratton, yes that Briggs). I thought I had read that his uncle was Ralph Evinrude but I cannot find any confirmation of that. He was in direct competition with Evinrude and others when he bought Scott-Atwater and went into the production of outboard engines for boats...coincided with their move to Lake Havasu, AZ where they had an ideal testing site. There was an episode of the old television program "Route 66" based loosely on McCulloch's activities in the outboard engine game.

Mark

Markk,you're right about Bob McCulloch being "related" to Ralph Evinrude,I think it was through marriage though.I also read that he & Evinrude were fierce competitors,but in a "friendly" way .
Ed

Latest posts

Back