McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have seen that type of price on this type of saw. The saw will not sell very quick at that price to a collector. I'm thinking of using the saw for some time then if I get tired of it I will sell it. There may not be that many running saws out there like this unless it has been re - built. Finding a saw this size for less then 700 - 900.00 may be hard to do. The saw will not go down much in value unless I damage it. I know the saw is a part of McCulloch history however it is also useful for cutting. Here in Oregon this saw is not valued as much as a collector saw as there is others around here in this logging area.

I'm only speaking from practical experience and milling , frankly I don't care if you glue googly eyes and paper ears to it and tell people you got a knew puppy.
Swinging that monster around in a mill set up would suck and consider needing just a gasket for something? Your not gonna get it locally.
If milling is what your serious about then you will get sick of that beast in a hurry and will be selling it ,and to boot when the buyer finds out its been used for milling? Well good luck because I'd walk away from that saw.
Sounds like you've made up your mind though but if your more flexible just ask in the milling forum what what they like .

Ok , I built a building on the side of (Table Rock state park's mountain SC)using a Granberg mill and honestly you'd be way ahead of the game selling that saw and using the money for a 395xp husqvarna or a 660/ 066 stihl, first off you'll make enough money to buy 2 saws and if the oiler or anything else craps out on you you won't be S.O.L..
The McCulloch chainsaw you have is awesome and legendary but for your application it's going to be awful, and I'm speaking from experience on this subject.
The right tool for the job as they say.
Good advice and I see your point. The oiler is off of a rubber pump that could crap out. I may end up selling the saw sooner then I think for the reason you point out. I will make the decision after doing a small amount of cutting with an external oiler as the saws oiler is not good enough on a 5 ft. double ended bar. That is a good idea to get a 395xo husqvarna saw as parts will not be any real problem. Good point about the oiler and I may turn the adjuster screw all the way in to close off the pump action and use only the external oiler. I know the 395xp saw would be smother and less vibes in running as well. I may ask if anyone wants to trade a couple of newer saws for it type of a deal.

I'm only speaking from practical experience and milling , frankly I don't care if you glue googly eyes and paper ears to it and tell people you got a knew puppy.
Swinging that monster around in a mill set up would suck and consider needing just a gasket for something? Your not gonna get it locally.
If milling is what your serious about then you will get sick of that beast in a hurry and will be selling it ,and to boot when the buyer finds out its been used for milling? Well good luck because I'd walk away from that saw.
Sounds like you've made up your mind though but if your more flexible just ask in the milling forum what what they like .
The original owner has used it for mostly logging and then a smaller amount of milling as I saw the building he used it for. I also looked inside the cylinder for how much wear and scoring that it has. I will next do a compression test on it. Most people do not want a saw like this simply because you can't get many parts very quickly for it. The power head is in good shape right now however if any parts crap out it will become a dust collector unless re - built. I consider using it for a short time will not kill this power house saw and I will get some enjoyment from it. I will always consider trading for a couple of newer big saws.

By the way the power head is not that bad at around 24 lbs. for a milling setup. The 5ft. milling bar and mill is a different story unless a stand is used to help out or use two people when using. I'm looking to slab some softer dry wood and need some power to run a 5 ft. bar.

I would not consider running this set up if I was not looking at cutting some very big wood like up to 4 ft in size. A smaller mill set up would be easier I know. However there is a small calling for it and thus the need even if it is for a short time. Yes it will be a pain haling this out in the woods however I don't really have any choice as I looking at some big wood to slab. The forest service will also not allow any road to be cut either to get there. Thus the short time need for this tool set up.

The original owner has used it for mostly logging and then a smaller amount of milling as I saw the building he used it for. I also looked inside the cylinder for how much wear and scoring that it has. I will next do a compression test on it. Most people do not want a saw like this simply because you can't get many parts very quickly for it. The power head is in good shape right now however if any parts crap out it will become a dust collector unless re - built. I consider using it for a short time will not kill this power house saw and I will get some enjoyment from it. I will always consider trading for a couple of newer big saws.

By the way the power head is not that bad at around 24 lbs. for a milling setup. The 5ft. milling bar and mill is a different story unless a stand is used to help out or use two people when using. I'm looking to slab some softer dry wood and need some power to run a 5 ft. bar.

I would not consider running this set up if I was not looking at cutting some very big wood like up to 4 ft in size. A smaller mill set up would be easier I know. However there is a small calling for it and thus the need even if it is for a short time. Yes it will be a pain haling this out in the woods however I don't really have any choice as I looking at some big wood to slab. The forest service will also not allow any road to be cut either to get there. Thus the short time need for this tool set up.
I forgot to point out that I would not even think of haling this setup out into the woods unless one either has a way of packing it there or better yet a zipline steel cable to carry it all out there and back. This is the only real way of getting it out over logs and rocks etc.

By the way this saw in on it's first life and can be re - bored about 3 more times. So yes there are enough people who would want to buy it and then re - build it for just milling use or as a collector and use for bucking bigger wood when there is the call for it.

By the way this saw in on it's first life and can be re - bored about 3 more times. So yes there are enough people who would want to buy it and then re - build it for just milling use or as a collector and use for bucking bigger wood when there is the call for it.
Some of today's saws could be made better to hold up in use like this 50 year young saw that is still going. I will do a pressure test on the seals and rings down the road and make more decisions about using the saw very much. Heck I just got the saw about 3 weeks ago. Right now in the short run I have a need to cut a small amount of big wood with it. The 42" Oregon roller nose bar should work just fine with .404 chain on the bar.

Some of today's saws could be made better to hold up in use like this 50 year young saw that is still going. I will do a pressure test on the seals and rings down the road and make more decisions about using the saw very much. Heck I just got the saw about 3 weeks ago. Right now in the short run I have a need to cut a small amount of big wood with it. The 42" Oregon roller nose bar should work just fine with .404 chain on the bar.
I'm interested in oversize rings piston and parts in general for this McCulloch 125 - SP chainsaw if anyone has them for sale. I'm willing to take my time so whenever you can PM me or post here. Thank you.

i have a fresh rebuilt 394. only china part is brake. have oe cover [no brake] and spare set of oe covers and oe muffs. some other misc parts.
vg oiling, had to turn it way down for 28. blew 170 after couple heat cycles. had tank thru since.
interested in trade deal if/when you change yer mind.

797s had a few more beans spread through out the powerband. They feel more positive, no AV flex, no intake boot, a simpler design, more durable than the "upgraded" SP/CP models.
Do you have a link for the above information. When it comes to rebuilding is the rings, piston and maybe the conrod the same?
Thank you

Assembler, welcome. I doubt anyone has a compilation of pages related to the 125. Better to ask specific questions.

The gas tank is integral to the saw - intake, handle, cooling etc. so I doubt removal is practical. In addition, it is large and the 125 is fairly economical in my opinion.

The milling forum can likely address milling with this saw quicker than here.

Not sure if the PO moved forward keeping an 090 instead of the 125. Probably depends upon what he is milling and the relative conditions of the two.

Ron

Assembler, welcome. I doubt anyone has a compilation of pages related to the 125. Better to ask specific questions.

The gas tank is integral to the saw - intake, handle, cooling etc. so I doubt removal is practical. In addition, it is large and the 125 is fairly economical in my opinion.

The milling forum can likely address milling with this saw quicker than here.

Not sure if the PO moved forward keeping an 090 instead of the 125. Probably depends upon what he is milling and the relative conditions of the two.

Ron
Thank you for the info. I agree that for some people removing the gas tank is not practical and is a hassle. I have done so thus far and find it easy after all I wanted to completely clean all the gunk off the saw under the gas tank to improve the cooling. I also found it easy to replace my own ready made angle brackets that one had pre-drilled holes I could use without any drilling for mounting onto the anti vibe rubber mounts. The other bracket I had to drill some simple holes. I will have to drill a few holes for the stile of gas tank and car air cleaner that will be a big improvement at least for milling.
I also agree with you big time that the original owner may have not stepped up that much with the 090 saw that can cost more to work on to keep going. Has more power by about 12 cc. in size. though. Yea the McCulloch has seen some use and will get more tired as time goes by so what. This will give me some time to get some new parts that are less expensive parts for the next life.

Thank you for the info. I agree that for some people removing the gas tank is not practical and is a hassle. I have done so thus far and find it easy after all I wanted to completely clean all the gunk off the saw under the gas tank to improve the cooling. I also found it easy to replace my own ready made angle brackets that one had pre-drilled holes I could use without any drilling for mounting onto the anti vibe rubber mounts. The other bracket I had to drill some simple holes. I will have to drill a few holes for the stile of gas tank and car air cleaner that will be a big improvement at least for milling.
I also agree with you big time that the original owner may have not stepped up that much with the 090 saw that can cost more to work on to keep going. Has more power by about 12 cc. in size. though. Yea the McCulloch has seen some use and will get more tired as time goes by so what. This will give me some time to get some new parts that are less expensive parts for the next life.
The first owner most likely used the money I gave him to get something he wanted. Who knows maybe another newer plastic saw or even something else.

The first owner most likely used the money I gave him to get something he wanted. Who knows maybe another newer plastic saw or even something else.
Yea I think I got really lucky with this barn find ( has not run in over 20 years) saw even though it is real loud ............lol.

Yea I think I got really lucky with this barn find ( has not run in over 20 years) saw even though it is real loud ............lol.
Let see there is 250 pages on the milling thread topic and there is 1797 pages here on this McCulloch thread. Looks like I may be around for some time with some questions...........lol

Yes I have seen that type of price on this type of saw. The saw will not sell very quick at that price to a collector. I'm thinking of using the saw for some time then if I get tired of it I will sell it. There may not be that many running saws out there like this unless it has been re - built. Finding a saw this size for less then 700 - 900.00 may be hard to do. The saw will not go down much in value unless I damage it. I know the saw is a part of McCulloch history however it is also useful for cutting. Here in Oregon this saw is not valued as much as a collector saw as there is others around here in this logging area.
I'm in Oregon too, and 125's are generally sold on Ebay for good money as Craigslist doesn't bring much money for these saws locally. Where abouts in Oregon are you?

I'm in Oregon too, and 125's are generally sold on Ebay for good money as Craigslist doesn't bring much money for these saws locally. Where abouts in Oregon are you?
In the Marion County area. Yes Craigslist is where I put my add that I got lucky with. I think during the boom years of the 60's - 70's there was a lot of McCulloch chainsaws sold to meet the demand. This saw was one of them.

In the Marion County area. Yes Craigslist is where I put my add that I got lucky with. I think during the boom years of the 60's - 70's there was a lot of McCulloch chainsaw sold to meet the demand. This saw was one of them.
I have not really run a saw like this however hard work does not scare me. Looking at some of the big wood I have to cut I don't think there is much options with the budget I'm on.

Be sure to post some pictures when you get it set up and then some when you have it working.

Ron
Yep I going to take little baby steps to see how it is running as I have to make a longer rubber / plastic tube for the carb.
The saw is not going to be as pretty as it came from the factory with the nice looking sleek gas tank etc. The goal is to cut some wood. Making it look nice is for resale. I hope to put on a 2 - cycle exhaust pipe as well if I can figure out some supports etc.

Yep I going to take little baby steps to see how it is running as I have to make a longer rubber / plastic tube for the carb.
The saw is not going to be as pretty as it came from the factory with the nice looking sleek gas tank etc. The goal is to cut some wood. Making it look nice is for resale. I hope to put on a 2 - cycle exhaust pipe as well if I can figure out some supports etc.

I'm just gonna say it...

Most of us will be in tears if you wreck that saw infact most of us would do anything to save 1.

Sacrilege doesn't even begin to describe this man.

Take mr Norton's offer before it's no longer on the table.

You're not going to get any help here trying to do what your doing to it.

It's like giving you the hammer to smash a 125 in front of us and its quite shocking you can't see it.

Please see sense and help save some history instead of destroying it. The history we all hold very close to our hearts.

Please for gods sake please

Latest posts

Back