McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s tons of info on this site just use the search function and you will probably find the answer to most of your questions. I’ve done two of the 10 series Macs so far and they are pretty straightforward. I used a two jaw puller to remove the flywheel and the clutch nut is left hand thread. I sealed the crankcase with MOTO seal. Some gaskets I cut myself others I sourced online. Here’s a service manual to get you started. But I must warn you.... once you go down this road more and more yellow and black saws will start showing up! Have fun!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/w4rk7019mhk7md6/McCulloch_-_Shop_Manual_10_Series_63084.pdf/file
Thanks, my dad still has a 10-10 laying around, but I cant recall which one it is. I know for sure its not a promac like this one. Better win one battle before I start "collecting"

I just looked at this one in the attic. If you look closely you can see it says 7-10 on it.
View attachment 812211
My point is that not all clutches have a LH nut so you have to take the vintage of the saw into consideration.
Mark

Mark will a right hand start stay tight on a non keyed clutch? Eg later crank

Each layer is 8mm or 5/16 for a total of 16mm and 5/8 they are fused together

I think that might work the 8mm should squeeze down around the edges and hopefully seal up.

On the older 60s and early 70s 10 series Todd they have a "domed" filter and are very pricey. I run or will run two of these 1 is ok the other will be saveable just but not forever so diy is starting to look good. 2broke is after 1 or two also.

I have a metal cage to work with but 2broke will need to make that also

Hey Kevin you put an sdc on that 2-10? Does the air box lid fit on? I have to remove the choke on mine

If the clutch has a left hand nut and no key way, the clutches with a key way will stay tight but you have to be careful when you torque the LH nut as the clutch spider is not anywhere near as strong as those without a key way. To put it another way, the keyed clutch will work on the non-keyed crankshaft but don't tighten the nut excessively or the spider will break.

Mark

If the clutch has a left hand nut and no key way, the clutches with a key way will stay tight but you have to be careful when you torque the LH nut as the clutch spider is not anywhere near as strong as those without a key way. To put it another way, the keyed clutch will work on the non-keyed crankshaft but don't tighten the nut excessively or the spider will break.

Mark

Ok cheers Mark. I'm seriously considering putting my spare 700 engine under the 2-10 covers. If its an issue I could cut a key way with a dremel

That could cause an issue if the 7-10 does not have a key way since the starting torque through the RH starter/clutch will tend to work the LH nut loose.

Mark

Hmm maybe the dremel might be the way then. I can always try it. Theory says the taper should hold it but they put a key in there for a reason

Latest posts

Back