McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked one of the BP-1's (power head only) and it weighs around 15-1/2 pounds empty. I have never cut more than a few cookies but I did watch a fellow make a cut in a very large log that ran the saw WOT for 3 or 4 minutes...it was blistering hot when he handed it back to me so I can't imagine what it would be like to run a full tank doing hard work. The "official" story on the BP-1 was that they were concerned about the engine overspeeding and potentially coming apart if the governor would fail. I heard other reports that McCulloch concluded the saws were too complicated for the typical saw mechanics of the day. Interesting because someone just sent me this copy of the McCulloch Reporter dated April 1962 that detailed how a team of McCulloch trainers went coast to coast over a period of 6 weeks to put on special training on the BP-1 with high tech training materials like film strips, IPL's, manuals, and procedures. Another theory was that the saws simply ran too hot and may have created a fire hazard, a view that I can confirm has a lot of validity.

View attachment 815484

Mark

That's some interesting information there Mark cheers. What ever it was it wasn't solvable obviously as that was many many wheelbarrows full of money to toss away like that.

Was it your saw that got the cooking?

Seems plenty light enough to use a bit are you worried it will die a premature death? Wouldn't blame ya

I got a great surprise today. I bought off ebay the other day a 10-10s. I dont have one nor ever have. The ad read very leaky fuel tank and no brake parts, and likely carb issues. Well, im here to say that this 10-10s isca great runner!! I did nothing to it, kinda boring really, lol. I figured that after he checked it and it leaked fuel everywhere that the cork would seal off, it did. The carb needed adjusted but no rebuild. The handle and brake parts are a wash, i had those extra in a box. So i now have a 10-10s and what a difference those few ccs make! Im impressed. View attachment 815083View attachment 815084View attachment 815085

Boy is that a good looking saw! Is that a sticker on the foot pad?

Finally got my mityvac the other day. Since I havent built my block plate for testing the case, I thought I would start with the carb. First test held no pressure at all. Checked the metering diaphragm (which is part of the carb kit I put in a year ago), and the needle. Both looked in good shape. Put it back together, and got some pressure, but slowly fades. Dunked it in gas, and there is a slow leak internally somewhere. All the gaskets appear ok. Also new from last years carb kit. Cant quite pinpoint where its leaking. Any ideas? This is on my Pro Mac 10-10.

Finally got my mityvac the other day. Since I havent built my block plate for testing the case, I thought I would start with the carb. First test held no pressure at all. Checked the metering diaphragm (which is part of the carb kit I put in a year ago), and the needle. Both looked in good shape. Put it back together, and got some pressure, but slowly fades. Dunked it in gas, and there is a slow leak internally somewhere. All the gaskets appear ok. Also new from last years carb kit. Cant quite pinpoint where its leaking. Any ideas? This is on my Pro Mac 10-10.

Might be a dirty or misshapen needle not seating in the tapered seat, what brand kit did you use?

Might be a dirty or misshapen needle not seating in the tapered seat, what brand kit did you use?
Yes, I dunked it in a jar and pumped air in. It bubbles from within, just cant seem to tell where. Best I can tell its on the needle side, not the intake side. It was an sdc10 for a walbro carb, if I remember correctly. Got the specs for the saw from here, so I'm assuming its the right kit.

I had the saw running pretty well last year after the rebuild, its only been giving me guff as of late. Starts, runs for a few minutes, but as soon as I load it up, it wont idle. Thought crank seals were bad, but if its carb issues, that could save me a lot of headaches.

Take the metering cover and diaphragm back off and pressure test again. If it holds without the cover and diaphragm on, it's the inlet lever set too high or the diaphragm not hooked into the lever or gasket and diaphragm out of order.If it still doesnt hold the needles not sealing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Take the metering cover and diaphragm back off and pressure test again. If it holds without the cover and diaphragm on, it's the inlet lever set too high or the diaphragm not hooked into the lever or gasket and diaphragm out of order.If it still doesnt hold the needles not sealing.

Thanks! Why didnt I think of that?! Oh yeah... I'm new :)

Took the diaphragm off, still leaks. Checked the package of my carb kit, it's an Oregon, not a walbro. Not sure if that matters, but I put the old needle that I took off the carb (this carb wasnt too bad when I rebuilt it) and I got it to hold at 6 psi. It faded off 7, bit held steady at 6. Put the saw back together, and fired it up. Still stalls out . I guess I need a new needle, new carb, or go back to my original plan and test the case to see if the seals r bad.

I checked the points and hit them with a file once and gapped at 19 while I had her torn down they are in good condition.
Well I had to give her a full physical, the seals look fine but yanked them anyway 30 yrs old.
P&C look perfect.
Pulled the carb off again and decided to pull her plugs out. I have needed to do this before.
The little fiber disc was shot.

Took the diaphragm off, still leaks. Checked the package of my carb kit, it's an Oregon, not a walbro. Not sure if that matters, but I put the old needle that I took off the carb (this carb wasnt too bad when I rebuilt it) and I got it to hold at 6 psi. It faded off 7, bit held steady at 6. Put the saw back together, and fired it up. Still stalls out . I guess I need a new needle, new carb, or go back to my original plan and test the case to see if the seals r bad.
Try stretching the metering a spring a little. That will apply more pressure to the needle just dont go crazy.

What do you mean by "stalls out"? Have you done any tuning? What are your hi and lo screws set at? It may just need a quarter turn here or there.
I just replaced this crank seal, the only symptom I had was it would go lean when i tipped it onto the clutch side. I was still able to tune it and get it to run and cut really well. I'm not saying you dont have an air leak, just in my experience they can be pretty bad and still run halfway decent.

If you don't know I'm a poulan guy. My neighbor was talking to me over the fence and said, I have a big old saw that I have had for 40 years and it hasn't been run for 30 years and it has been kept inside do you want it. Let's go look at it was my reply. He takes me in his shop and pulls this off the shelf.
McCulloch 73 with a 26.5 inch bar running 5/8 chain. What do I do with it. 20200408_150553.jpg20200408_150610.jpg20200408_150625.jpg

Try stretching the metering a spring a little. That will apply more pressure to the needle just dont go crazy.

What do you mean by "stalls out"? Have you done any tuning? What are your hi and lo screws set at? It may just need a quarter turn here or there.
I just replaced this crank seal, the only symptom I had was it would go lean when i tipped it onto the clutch side. I was still able to tune it and get it to run and cut really well. I'm not saying you dont have an air leak, just in my experience they can be pretty bad and still run halfway decent.

I havent tweeked it. Just have everything out 1 1/4 turn. Was more curious to see if it would run. I'll tinker more tomorrow

If you don't know I'm a poulan guy. My neighbor was talking to me over the fence and said, I have a big old saw that I have had for 40 years and it hasn't been run for 30 years and it has been kept inside do you want it. Let's go look at it was my reply. He takes me in his shop and pulls this off the shelf.
McCulloch 73 with a 26.5 inch bar running 5/8 chain. What do I do with it. View attachment 815872View attachment 815874View attachment 815877
Thats AWESOME!!! Have you put fuel in it yet?

Latest posts

Back