McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that also. I also cant tell if the DCV hole is there and open or if is plugged or not there. Someone mentioned a PM8200 block not having a DCV but the ones I have seen are bolted, but the threaded hole is still there. This could be a "patches" saw, pieced together. Regardless, is she's got good compression she can be made a running pretty easy. I like to see these old girls rescued and restored!

Remove the bolt, at the bottom of the threaded boss there is either a small port or not. If no port, then it is an early PM800 or PM8200. A PM800 has eight bolts attaching the cylinder half to the oil tank half (4 are inside the tank) .A PM8200 has six bolts (4 inside the tank and two outside dead center top and bottom).

Oz’s cylinder is definitely a q port model.

Ron

I don't put any stock in Acres' site anymore after what happened to me earlier this month.I was working on a Remington Super 754 & needed to know what the points gap was,so I looked on his site for the info.It was incorrectly posted as .020.I looked at all the other Remington saws & they all have the same incorrect info - points gap of .020.(should be .015)There are many other mistakes & he refuses to do anything about it.

I have a pm605 and a 10-10A. Both run, although I dont use them often.the 605 was my grandads. He bought it new. Actually the first saw I ever ran. The 10-10A I was just given by a coworker for fixing up a saw for him.

Attachments

• 20200426_181437.jpg
    20200426_181437.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Has anyone ever come up with a chart or some other graphic showing the timeline/evolution/families of McCulloch chainsaws?

The McCulloch Publication Guide is your best resource for dating McCulloch saws and other equipment. The latest one I have in electronic format only goes to 1998. I should probably start charging for this kind of information...

Mike Acres site is a good reference but it does have limitations and contains some errors. If you had put that much information out there just for the good of all, you might understand why he is less than enthusiastic about making a lot of corrections.

Mark

Attachments

• mcculloch publications guide 98.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
The McCulloch Publication Guide is your best resource for dating McCulloch saws and other equipment. The latest one I have in electronic format only goes to 1998. I should probably start charging for this kind of information...
Thanks - I downloaded it before you change your mind. ;)
Your knowledge of McCullochs is the only reason I joined this forum.

Thanks for pointing that out to me Mark.I always thought the late model saws were made by Jenn Feng.I do know they took over the Mac name around 2000.I was told that Mac filed bankruptcy in '92,so from '92-2000 who was minding the store?

McCulloch filed Chapter 11 in January 1999,not 1992.I bought my first Mac new,a PM610 in summer 1992.

I've heard there was a lot of stuff at the auction that didn't get sold & went to a landfill according to Bob.I don't know how true it is though.If it is true,being in a dry climate,that stuff would be as good as the day it was buried.We'd just need top find out where the landfill is.Lol I read an article back about 25 yrs.ago that a landfill near the Phoenix area was dug up for some reason & they found newspapers dated from 1960 that were just as crisp & new looking as the day they were printed.
BTW ThistleA I believe you too that Mac filed for bankruptcy in '99,not '92.

I've heard there was a lot of stuff at the auction that didn't get sold & went to a landfill according to Bob.I don't know how true it is though.If it is true,being in a dry climate,that stuff would be as good as the day it was buried.We'd just need top find out where the landfill is.Lol I read an article back about 25 yrs.ago that a landfill near the Phoenix area was dug up for some reason & they found newspapers dated from 1960 that were just as crisp & new looking as the day they were printed.
BTW ThistleA I believe you too that Mac filed for bankruptcy in '99,not '92.

Wow. That's a real bummer when you stop to think about it. Just think what we go through trying to locate certain parts,even common ones and so much just gone.I heard similar stories about parts for old cars,tractors,motorcycles,wood/metalworking machinery when certain companies went under/models discontinued etc.Though in lots of cases with them,the parts went to scrap because of their larger size or material.

Back