McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your chain is a bit loose there king.

Mark
Yeap... new bar... new chain... stretch..three tanks of fuel... I didn't take time to make the adjustment. if it threw it threw. I wasn't stopping lol. I grabbed a pic after fueling before restart for you guys. I will adjust it cold before the next time I run it.

The crank shaft was badly pitted in the area where the bearing rides, I was concerned about the crank shaft and bearing turning into a disaster. If it was just at GTG saw for a few runs a year I would have left it but I expect this saw will be used regularly.

In this case I did put a light film of Dirko on the tank side of the flange since both the boot and the tank were a little rough. If the parts are in good shape no sealer is needed.

As noted in the initial post, this one is a rebuild for a good friend, he wanted two of the three to run again but that just may not be possible. I'll know more when I get inside the 81E.

I do have a few spares of the 80/81 saws but I won't be getting in the little garage to sort them out for a while.

Mark
Does the 850 have the 2 peice ignition? And is that the only saw it came on?
I'm asking alot of questions since I'm building the 800. Thanks for sharing this with us.

I've seen a number of posts about worn sprockets causing new chains to quickly elongate and loosen, and even damage the chain and bar. I've not personally experienced this but I've seen some pictures that seem to back it up.

My question is what do you do when you are running a vintage saw with a worn sprocket that is NLA? You have to just run the thing...so what are you other vintage saw owners experience with running a worn sprocket?

I've seen a number of posts about worn sprockets causing new chains to quickly elongate and loosen, and even damage the chain and bar. I've not personally experienced this but I've seen some pictures that seem to back it up.

My question is what do you do when you are running a vintage saw with a worn sprocket that is NLA? You have to just run the thing...so what are you other vintage saw owners experience with running a worn sprocket?
All my mccullochs have rim sprockets. I go to any dealer and buy new ones. They should fit. If not a dealer, ebay sellers have them all day long. I usually get oregon sprockets. Part number 68210 is pretty standard number. 3/8 pitch 7 tooth.

The only drums that are not available with the spline/rim system are generally the newer stuff (only 20-30 years old...) and so far I have been able to find what I have needed on the McCulloch side. Now, if only I could find a new drum for the Solo Twin, spline or spur.

If worse comes to worse, you can always resort to this:

DSCN0101.jpg

DSCN0102.jpg

Mark

Maint Sup - All of the PM850's I have encountered have the one piece electronic ignition unit, in fact it is the same coil as the one used on the 600 Series saws so there are plenty of them out there. The SP81E was originally equipped with the two piece ignition but give some credit to the McCulloch Engineers as the later one piece coil was a bolt in replacement for the two piece system. I left the two piece on my 81E for authenticity but McBob reported that all of the 81E saws in Australia were refitted with the one piece coil so I expect most of the others in the world were as well. I have seen IPL's for the PM850 showing the two piece set up but I think they learned their lesson and made them all with the one piece.

DSC01948.JPG

DSC01962.JPG

DSCN0019.JPG

DSC01960.JPG

Mark

Maint Sup - All of the PM850's I have encountered have the one piece electronic ignition unit, in fact it is the same coil as the one used on the 600 Series saws so there are plenty of them out there. The SP81E was originally equipped with the two piece ignition but give some credit to the McCulloch Engineers as the later one piece coil was a bolt in replacement for the two piece system. I left the two piece on my 81E for authenticity but McBob reported that all of the 81E saws in Australia were refitted with the one piece coil so I expect most of the others in the world were as well. I have seen IPL's for the PM850 showing the two piece set up but I think they learned their lesson and made them all with the one piece.

View attachment 832965

View attachment 832966

View attachment 832967

View attachment 832968

Mark
Ok I was unaware that the one peice would fit the motor of one that came with the 2 peice ignition.
Thats makes sense not to increase manufacturing costs when you've got a good one.

Ebay , forums, all kinds of old dealers. I've been able too get rim sprockets for all my working saws even old Remington saws.
There was a fellow on here a few years ago that could custom make them for anything even gear drive rims!
Alas he's in jail. I think his name is Bill ,but his craftsmanship was beautiful. Theres some old posts about them.

Well I pulled the 81 off the shelf. Time to tear in and see what's up. It has 152psi and starts and runs. But it runs a bit erratically under load and won't take a tune very well. I've even tried a fully adjustable carb from an sp80 and gone back to the stock fixed jet carb with no difference in how it runs.20200602_214737.jpg

Bill G was from Illinois, just across the border from Iowa. I don't think he made the parts himself but had good contacts with those who do make high quality parts. One such supplier is 6K Products, formerly known as Danzco.

https://www.6kproducts.com/sprocket-nr_bore.html
Mark

Thanks Mark, that's what happens when you get your information from the interweb! The stuff he was selling was good.

Back