McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fiddled again with my 380 today which is the first MAC I purchased some few years ago. It's pulling fuel but won't stay running. I violated my rule to do a vac and pressure test first on an old saw before moving on. I'm betting that's it. The seals are 57 years old. Failing that, I have an HL-103? and adapter to sub for the flatback but I do think the flatback carb is OK. I put one of Bob's kits in it.
I'm still a little leery of that oddball pulse modulator beside the carb.

I did pick up the Mini Mac 6 and got it tuned up today. This little critter doesn't like much of a turn out on the mix needles. Both are under 1 turn.
I fogged the garage out really well figuring that out.

Loving the challenge and having lots of fun with the MAC's.

Here is the fuel line and fuel filter for the Power Mac 6.

20200929_205417.jpg

20200929_205531.jpg

The fuel line presses through the filter with a bit of effort.

20200929_205822.jpg

20200929_205837.jpg

Then all that is left to do is roll it up and work it through that small fuel filler opening.

20200929_210031.jpg

And finally, pull the nipple through the smaller hole in the side of the tank.

20200929_210049.jpg

Mark

View attachment 858416

View attachment 858417

View attachment 858418

View attachment 858419

Then all that is left to do is roll it up and work it through that small fuel filler opening.

View attachment 858420

View attachment 858421

Mark
In the ipl.s I've seen for the Titan 70 the fuel wick looks the similar . Obviously the fuel line is longer, and I think it had a plastic nipple built into the wick for the fuel line.

I didn't have very good luck today with the 10-10's.I pulled the carb opff the 10-10 with bad seals & put it on another 10-10 I had laying around for a while & found that the manual oiler doesn't work.I went & got another 10-10 & that oiler was plugged a bit,but got it working,but found it had no spark.I ran out of 10-10's.I did consider getting out my 2-10's,but ran out of time.I guess I don't know when to give up.In the pic there's a file sticking in what looks like a clip of some sort.This is in what appears to be the oil hole & it looks factory to me.If I lay the saw on it's side oil will run right out of it,but the pump plunger won't pump any oil.

View attachment 858384
Time to fill the oil tanks with some kerosene and let them sit for a minute, that usually works for me. Give it a pump every so often till the old gummy oil works out.

View attachment 858416

View attachment 858417

View attachment 858418

View attachment 858419

View attachment 858420

View attachment 858421

Mark
Yikes...and I bet that fuel line and filter are available at your local Ace Hardware, haha...

If I had one of those saws, Id install a small rubber grommet in the tank with a 1/8 fuel line and weighted pickup, and connect that to the carb somehow.

I'm guessing it helps stop stalling when the throttle is let off or it keeps the idle speed stable. The little bit it ran it was opening and closing in a hurry. It runs off crank case pulse. The link between the thing and the carb is a little hard link but the throttle link just sits in a "V" groove with lots of slop to let the thing (modulator or whatever it's called) perform it's magic.

At least a few of the 380's in Canada have those so I am wondering if it was built here. No label left on the AF cover. The stamping on the block 380 and 140.

On another note, the "reverse muffler mod " on the Pro Mac 800 seems to be a success.
I stumped some large oaks with it today and some bucking duty.
It was not by any means hot today in South Carolina but the saw definitely runs cooler than it did before, even more than the muffler wrapped with header wrap.
It might just be breaking in now with about 7 tanks through her, but it does seem to pull alot stronger than when it first went together.
Its moving alot more fresh air around the engine now though so that might be helpful. 20200930_163649.jpg

I don't know where you guys are finding all the 800s,805s,& 850s at.I was lucky to find a beat up DE80.
I reached out to a member of the forums, but this is the only one I have. I honestly just wasn't finding one by my traditional means ,and I've found some rare and strange things.
This 800 is in pretty good shape though so I like to run it.

Back