McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where you guys are finding all the 800s,805s,& 850s at.I was lucky to find a beat up DE80.

I reached out to a member of the forums, but this is the only one I have. I honestly just wasn't finding one by my traditional means ,and I've found some rare and strange things.
This 800 is in pretty good shape though so I like to run it.

I think it has something to do with location and maybe some luck?
I am curious about MS's methods. And how he seemingly finds gems like this in abundance with "traditional means".
Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Haha , I was born patient . I will talk to dozens of people who have been around for awhile ,sometimes for hours .... most people in the South want to get to know you and your character so its really about networking.
Alot of it is dumb luck too, everyone has been in a situation where you stop at an old saw shop and the owner tells you how they just scraped out all their "old" broken stuff ,well twice I've happened to be there the day they were filling the dumpster.
Being part of the community in a contributing role is probably the best way though and plenty of the guys on here have proven that, if you cut up a tree for someone they'll practically throw saws at you they've had in a shed for years.
I try and return the favor too, if someone needs a saw fixed up or a young person has interest and needs a saw ... well I've got plenty of doubles and I let them go to a new home free of charge with the stipulation that they don't sell it.

I've never seen an 82cc Mac advertised for sale around here. My 81 came all the way from Hawaii in response to a post on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Kevin, they come up from time to time. I've got a line on another sp81 over in New Ipswich NH but I gotta put the funds together. Also, I already have a fantastic running sp81, so not sure of the need for it...lol.

2 years ago I saw a sp80 or sp81 pop up on CL nearby me in waterboro, ME for $75!!!! By the time I responded it was long gone.

The key is setting CL up for email alerts. Every "McCulloch" that gets listed in New England sends me an email. I've got some decent scores from that.

Got a pro mac 55 apart right now - what's the deal with the ring gap alignment since there are no locating pins on the piston? I'm sure this has been covered, but every time I try to use the search function lately it's been giving me an error.

I know they should be staggered, and I believe on the exhaust side. (?) I think I remember seeing at least one of the gaps through the exhaust port prior to disassembling, but I try not to rely on my memory if I can help it. :crazy:

If they don't have a pin, it doesn't matter, just stagger them, I would keep them.to the intake side, that is where the gap goes on a pinned piston but they won't stay there anyway.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I was shocked earlier this afternoon. After seeing some posts about sourcing bigger Macs, I took a peek on the local craigs list. There was a 605/timber bear listed for $500. He was offering it claiming dirty beat up saws go for $350 or more. I have a fairly clean one that I took apart to do a few minor repairs since then left it apart in the container.
I was stopped a few years ago in my researching in the early PM605/timberbear IPL - and alot of bore stroke specs are goofed up. Again more bore/stroke goof ups in the Haynes manual. I see it again on acres site.
I would think the 58cc 605/timber bear series is just a 1mm smaller bore then the 60cc saws in the main 46 vs 47 mm bore cinder bloc series.
I ask where did all this 40mm bore 55cc stuff come from??? what a documentation mess....
Is it not almost an AntiVibe 10-10? I may jump on it and get it put together :chainsaw:

I got this Pro Mac 60 a few years back with some other saws. I've put gas in it a couple times and run it mostly just to keep it limber, but never cut wood with it. This time I decided to empty the oil also and this came out with what flowed like 90w gear oil. My parts list shows that this may be part of the cap?? Not sure.
DSCN9495-2.jpg

I got this Pro Mac 60 a few years back with some other saws. I've put gas in it a couple times and run it mostly just to keep it limber, but never cut wood with it. This time I decided to empty the oil also and this came out with what flowed like 90w gear oil. My parts list shows that this may be part of the cap?? Not sure.
View attachment 858728
Yep its part of the cap. Snaps into it. They do tend to fall out.

Well I think the good old postal service has finally lost a saw on me.I traded with a guy on FB in Mi.,he had a 5-10 in really nice shape with no spark & I had a PM 700 in need of a new oil tank.He shipped the 5-10 on Sept.21st & I shipped the PM 700 the next day on Sept.22nd.He got the 700 on either Sept.25th or 27th,& I'm still waiting.It has a tracking #,but it's pretty much useless.The saw came into the Rochester,N.Y. regional sorting facility on the 26th at 8:31 p.m.& was processed & shipped on to the Buffalo,N.Y.facility where it's been sitting ever since.When I inquire about the tracking it says it's been delayed & is still in transit,now how clever is that?I've officially filed a complaint with the USPS asking where the hell my saw is.I can't wait to see how it gets handled.

Well I think the good old postal service has finally lost a saw on me.I traded with a guy on FB in Mi.,he had a 5-10 in really nice shape with no spark & I had a PM 700 in need of a new oil tank.He shipped the 5-10 on Sept.21st & I shipped the PM 700 the next day on Sept.22nd.He got the 700 on either Sept.25th or 27th,& I'm still waiting.It has a tracking #,but it's pretty much useless.The saw came into the Rochester,N.Y. regional sorting facility on the 26th at 8:31 p.m.& was processed & shipped on to the Buffalo,N.Y.facility where it's been sitting ever since.When I inquire about the tracking it says it's been delayed & is still in transit,now how clever is that?I've officially filed a complaint with the USPS asking where the hell my saw is.I can't wait to see how it gets handled.
JOY..hope it shows up.

The saw came into the Rochester,N.Y. regional sorting facility on the 26th at 8:31 p.m.& was processed & shipped on to the Buffalo,N.Y.facility where it's been sitting ever since.When I inquire about the tracking it says it's been delayed & is still in transit,now how clever is that?I've officially filed a complaint with the USPS asking where the hell my saw is.I can't wait to see how it gets handled.

Seems to be happening regularly with USPS, and not even just big stuff.

I needed some gears to repair a laser printer, tiny package (half a sheet of paper, about an inch thick). It sat in St. Louis for three days before they decided to put it on a truck to continue it's journey to me.

They must be practicing for the election...

Back