McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha , I was born patient . I will talk to dozens of people who have been around for awhile ,sometimes for hours .... most people in the South want to get to know you and your character so its really about networking.
Alot of it is dumb luck too, everyone has been in a situation where you stop at an old saw shop and the owner tells you how they just scraped out all their "old" broken stuff ,well twice I've happened to be there the day they were filling the dumpster.
Being part of the community in a contributing role is probably the best way though and plenty of the guys on here have proven that, if you cut up a tree for someone they'll practically throw saws at you they've had in a shed for years.
I try and return the favor too, if someone needs a saw fixed up or a young person has interest and needs a saw ... well I've got plenty of doubles and I let them go to a new home free of charge with the stipulation that they don't sell it.

I agree with networking and talking to people, you get to meet real cool people doing that. And like you said, if you help someone out of a bind or fix something or they know you tinker with small engines - they'll usually throw something your way. Oddly in my case it's rarely ever saws, but mostly burned out trimmers. (sometimes it ain't easy livin' with CAD!)

I do believe it very much has to do with location though. You almost never see 60 - 100cc saws (at least here) pop up, unless you live someplace near the PNW or get really, really lucky. I think the more middle of the country you get, you have a better chance of finding something like that. But then there are some places, even older shops that have forgotten or never heard about McCullochs. (if it's not the current market it doesn't exist)

But it's good to be patient, you never know when something will show up. On my end I've been searching off and on for 4 - 5 years for the one I've been after. The whole "One man's trash..." is a real thing, so I know it'll turn up sometime.
But the upside is at least you get to meet people and sometimes come away with something you didn't know you needed, a different point of view or learn something, especially with older folks. :)

Well I think the good old postal service has finally lost a saw on me.I traded with a guy on FB in Mi.,he had a 5-10 in really nice shape with no spark & I had a PM 700 in need of a new oil tank.He shipped the 5-10 on Sept.21st & I shipped the PM 700 the next day on Sept.22nd.He got the 700 on either Sept.25th or 27th,& I'm still waiting.It has a tracking #,but it's pretty much useless.The saw came into the Rochester,N.Y. regional sorting facility on the 26th at 8:31 p.m.& was processed & shipped on to the Buffalo,N.Y.facility where it's been sitting ever since.When I inquire about the tracking it says it's been delayed & is still in transit,now how clever is that?I've officially filed a complaint with the USPS asking where the hell my saw is.I can't wait to see how it gets handled.
I've had USPS packages take close to 2 weeks to be delivered. It's rare to have anything show up on time over the last few months. Just wait a little longer, I bet it's still coming.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

I agree with networking and talking to people, you get to meet real cool people doing that. And like you said, if you help someone out of a bind or fix something or they know you tinker with small engines - they'll usually throw something your way. Oddly in my case it's rarely ever saws, but mostly burned out trimmers. (sometimes it ain't easy livin' with CAD!)

I do believe it very much has to do with location though. You almost never see 60 - 100cc saws (at least here) pop up, unless you live someplace near the PNW or get really, really lucky. I think the more middle of the country you get, you have a better chance of finding something like that. But then there are some places, even older shops that have forgotten or never heard about McCullochs. (if it's not the current market it doesn't exist)

But it's good to be patient, you never know when something will show up. On my end I've been searching off and on for 4 - 5 years for the one I've been after. The whole "One man's trash..." is a real thing, so I know it'll turn up sometime.
But the upside is at least you get to meet people and sometimes come away with something you didn't know you needed, a different point of view or learn something, especially with older folks. :)
East coast woes, yes location does play apart in the selection, but my pm700s, 088 ,and my 1050As started out here.
Now I'm in the South east so bow bars are abundant and people are wild about them .
It also helps that there use to be alot of McCulloch ,Poulan ,and Homelite dealers in my area. Which in turn lead to state facility contracts with some of those dealers increasing the popularity of those saws.
Its Its funny but I talk to alot of guys in their 70s/80s and most of them have had either a 10-10 or 700 but they started out with David Bradley's and those are universally HATED here.

USPS Package being returned from england...comes in 20 sept NJ routed up to springfield Mass, then down to NYC, then up to Nashua NH then down to middlesex/essex (N Reading mass) delivered the 28th hamilton mass
they continue to email :
October 1, 2020 In Transit to Next Facility Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

I was just glad to get it...std $50 insurance but actual price $750
I will admit that since the early 90's I have sent thousands of packages. In the USA only 2 got lost.....both to texas

All this talk about seal replacement - FWIIW my 1977 ten series Owner's Manual recommends the annual replacement of the crankshaft seals and the carburetor diaphragm. My PM700 is 37 years past due. Ron
I have a saw that's 59 years on the original crank seals and bearings....but Im not planning on doing millwork with it.

USPS Package being returned from england...comes in 20 sept NJ routed up to springfield Mass, then down to NYC, then up to Nashua NH then down to middlesex/essex (N Reading mass) delivered the 28th hamilton mass
they continue to email :
October 1, 2020 In Transit to Next Facility Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

I was just glad to get it...std $50 insurance but actual price $750
I will admit that since the early 90's I have sent thousands of packages. In the USA only 2 got lost.....both to texas
All my fellow Massachusetts folks coming out of the woodwork lately!!!! We should all get together sometime lol.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

All my fellow Massachusetts folks coming out of the woodwork lately!!!! We should all get together sometime lol.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I'd be down for that too! Jealous of all the gtg that happen too far away from me. A New England Mac get together would be awesome!

Pix of the wood cutting and splitting:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...good-running-poulan-4218.346331/#post-7394774I wouldn't mind a GTG here. Tried to do a small local GTG and no one showed.
Still have a huge pile of red oak , maple, and a little wild cherry. Most of it remaining is now mostly under 18".
It would drive the neighbors nuts.
would probably be better as an all-makes GTG. Though I might be able to make the promac 10-10, 10-10A, and 7-10 run.
I have 66 mostly freebee's as listed in the exel file below. Most of them ran when put up...covid would be the most difficul issue...
I'm retired and home almost every day all day. I work all the time but I just don't make any money LOL
address & phone on the website and I don't sit by the phone...

East coast woes, yes location does play apart in the selection, but my pm700s, 088 ,and my 1050As started out here.
Now I'm in the South east so bow bars are abundant and people are wild about them .
It also helps that there use to be alot of McCulloch ,Poulan ,and Homelite dealers in my area. Which in turn lead to state facility contracts with some of those dealers increasing the popularity of those saws.
Its Its funny but I talk to alot of guys in their 70s/80s and most of them have had either a 10-10 or 700 but they started out with David Bradley's and those are universally HATED here.
There's lots of 50-60cc saws here, rarely ever do I see 70-100cc saws for sale.

There's lots of 50-60cc saws here, rarely ever do I see 70-100cc saws for sale.

It’s not really like that here, for really any cc range that’s up there. It's very rare to see a saw at or over 50cc here. Most of the time it ranges from 30 – 45cc, and the “long bars” are 18” - 20”.
Hmm... maybe I should take a road trip? ;)

It’s not really like that here, for really any cc range that’s up there. It's very rare to see a saw at or over 50cc here. Most of the time it ranges from 30 – 45cc, and the “long bars” are 18” - 20”.
Hmm... maybe I should take a road trip? ;)
Haha, at Christmas time when I'm in Pennsylvania (wrong direction, I know) . I'm monitoring CL and the papers for big saws. Found my gear drive 1-60 McCulloch up there last Christmas.
I'm pretty sure that the Mark H. Being a world traveler and someone who obviously has been around the USA , finds plenty of saws because of traveling.

I know it's a common saw, but neighbor texted me today and said he left me a saw out in front of my garage. So I guess sometimes saws can find you when others know your a Mac guy.

Anyways for a run of the mill average 10-10a this one looks real clean. Did a quick check over it, put a little mix down carb throat and it popped on first pull. Couple more pulls and it ran a few seconds. 20201002_231254.jpg20201002_231302.jpg20201002_231312.jpg20201002_231342.jpg20201002_231431.jpg

That's a real nice
I know it's a common saw, but neighbor texted me today and said he left me a saw out in front of my garage. So I guess sometimes saws can find you when others know your a Mac guy.

Anyways for a run of the mill average 10-10a this one looks real clean. Did a quick check over it, put a little mix down carb throat and it popped on first pull. Couple more pulls and it ran a few seconds. View attachment 858931View attachment 858932View attachment 858933View attachment 858934View attachment 858935
That's a real nice looking 10-10A,with a chainbrake too!

Anyways for a run of the mill average 10-10a this one looks real clean. Did a quick check over it, put a little mix down carb throat and it popped on first pull. Couple more pulls and it ran a few seconds. View attachment 858931
Hard to find here, I say you're very fortunate to be gifted that!

Back