McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 80cc older Mccullochs are pretty run of the mill, I've got 1 but it's more of a show peice. Honestly I think a good running 10-10 might out cut it? ,but for 59'-60s technology that would have been a great saw.
Who knows though? I imagine that alot of these antique machines end up in "man caves" never actually run by the owner and never to be run again, so someone might think it's worth 100.00.

The 80cc older Mccullochs are pretty run of the mill, I've got 1 but it's more of a show peice. Honestly I think a good running 10-10 might out cut it? ,but for 59'-60s technology that would have been a great saw.
Who knows though? I imagine that alot of these antique machines end up in "man caves" never actually run by the owner and never to be run again, so someone might think it's worth 100.00.
Yup that Plain Jane 80cc saw ain't worth much around here. It does not feel like anywhere near an 80cc saw power. Man cave material unfortunately. I bought a nice 10 ton Shookum block for $20 in an antique store that was slated "man cave" material. Funny how horrified the lady at the store looked when I told her I was going to actually use it as intended. Even funnier was when I told her they were still making them and the four figure price.

I actually had the same thought about that old 250, that one of my 10-10's would probably out-cut it anyway, then I'd be pretty disappointed!
I think what I need to hold out for is a PM800 or an SP80 or something along those lines.

You got a 70cc?

I actually had the same thought about that old 250, that one of my 10-10's would probably out-cut it anyway, then I'd be pretty disappointed!
I think what I need to hold out for is a PM800 or an SP80 or something along those lines.
Yeah the 70cc saws impress me, if you can find a 7-10 / Pro Mac 700 they're no joke when tuned up. I have done a crazy amount of work with mine .

Nope... I think one of my 10-10's is a 59cc, and then my next bigger saw is a 95cc PM Canadien. So I have quite a gap in saw sizes, that eventually Id like to fill with a bigger Mac.
The 10-10 is 54cc,the next size up is a 10-10S which is 57cc.IMO the 10-10S would definitely outcut the 250.I don't have a 10-10S as of yet (they're so dang pricey),but I do have a 250.I've never had the 250 out cutting,only test cuts & I don't really think I'd care to take it out cutting either.

The 10-10 is 54cc,the next size up is a 10-10S which is 57cc.IMO the 10-10S would definitely outcut the 250.I don't have a 10-10S as of yet (they're so dang pricey),but I do have a 250.I've never had the 250 out cutting,only test cuts & I don't really think I'd care to take it out cutting either.
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if my 10-10S was a 54 or 57cc, but it's a good cutting saw.

Forum member @ZachAK hooked me up with this nice original galvanized 24 inch Mac-etched bar for one of my front-tank 80cc Macs. It cleaned up pretty well with a wire wheel and some 0000 steel wool, but it'll need to be dressed and have the tip re-faced before it can be used. Does anyone know of a good type of welding rod/wire to redo the hardfacing with? I've got a few Mac/Homelite hardnose bars with the facing gone and a neighbor who can weld almost anything, so if I could find a good type of rod/wire to re-tip the bars with I could save a few bars that would be scrap otherwise. I know Stellite is what was traditionally used but I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a box of rod just to fix 3 or 4 bars.
FullSizeRender 2.jpegFullSizeRender 3.jpegFullSizeRender 4.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg

Forum member @ZachAK hooked me up with this nice original galvanized 24 inch Mac-etched bar for one of my front-tank 80cc Macs. It cleaned up pretty well with a wire wheel and some 0000 steel wool, but it'll need to be dressed and have the tip re-faced before it can be used. Does anyone know of a good type of welding rod/wire to redo the hardfacing with? I've got a few Mac/Homelite hardnose bars with the facing gone and a neighbor who can weld almost anything, so if I could find a good type of rod/wire to re-tip the bars with I could save a few bars that would be scrap otherwise. I know Stellite is what was traditionally used but I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a box of rod just to fix 3 or 4 bars.
View attachment 859740View attachment 859741View attachment 859742View attachment 859743

You can get hard facing rods pretty easily at most welding supply shops and I think that would probably do the trick. Id just zap zap.. zap gently and quickly build up the chipped areas and leave as much of the original hard what ever it is on there as possible. Could probably just fill in a chip or two with mild steel.

Nope... I think one of my 10-10's is a 59cc, and then my next bigger saw is a 95cc PM Canadien. So I have quite a gap in saw sizes, that eventually Id like to fill with a bigger Mac.

I'm with maint sup. You gotta find a 700 or 7-10 or any 70cc 10 series. Awsome saws and very much still a good cutting saw and probably alot more useful than a big old dinosaur. The 82s are wicked too but good money will need to be payed unless lucky. Bang for buck though a good 700 is a mean saw

Well shiver me timbers folks,my 5-10 finally showed up today! It sat in the Rochester post office since Sept.26th - 9 days! I don't think if I have a choice that I'll use USPS anymore.BTW,it should be a good runner.Right now I think I have water laden fuel in it.I just bought a 20 in.Oregon bar for it.

Well shiver me timbers folks,my 5-10 finally showed up today! It sat in the Rochester post office since Sept.26th - 9 days! I don't think if I have a choice that I'll use USPS anymore.BTW,it should be a good runner.Right now I think I have water laden fuel in it.I just bought a 20 in.Oregon bar for it.
Glad it showed. I ship/receive stuff a bunch. UPS, Post office, FeEx, all are having stupid delays for seemingly no reason right now. I had a shipment from WI to VA sit in TX for two weeks via UPS. they blamed covid. Don't care who you ship through right now things are flaky.

Glad it showed. I ship/receive stuff a bunch. UPS, Post office, FeEx, all are having stupid delays for seemingly no reason right now. I had a shipment from WI to VA sit in TX for two weeks via UPS. they blamed covid. Don't care who you ship through right now things are flaky.
They seem to be blaming Covid for everything.What excuse will they use when Covid is finished?Sounds to me more like pure laziness.

They seem to be blaming Covid for everything.What excuse will they use when Covid is finished?Sounds to me more like pure laziness.

I think it's more about P2P shipping, or business shipping..... Amazon shipments have barely been delayed this entire time in the viruspocalypse. Amazon obviously has a good contract and it's making money for UPS and Fedex (and USPS), they get it done. If they don't, sometimes a rando/small company transporter shows up with packages.

But for somebody printing a label, or going to a UPS/Fedex store........ ehhhhhh maybe that's when the delays start coming in?

Back