McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 800 series Mac's are exceptionally smooth. In fact I think my like new 800 is as smooth as my 372. The 125 is not as smooth as the 800 but still not bad and I could see running it all day without issue. Sure the 797 & 895's have more vibes but seem smoother than the 066's I've had. The non-AV 090 is the one that you REALLY don't want to run for long as its vibes are positively awful. Even though the geardrive version is non AV, the gearbox seems to tame the viibes a good bit, sort of a counterbalance effect.

Cheers for that edumication sawfun.

They say the off brand 460 vibs bad how would that compare to an 800?

The SP80 when it came out must have been quite the saw

I have spent some time running 3 different large gear drives and the vibration is not great, on the steep reduction ones with big chain its almost as if you can feel each tooth digging in. I also have run a 10-10 enough in a day to have 'buzzing hands' and that's not great either. The worst saw I have is the 090 which I use to mill. As to which is the lesser of the evils... its tough to say.

My PM10-10 buzzes bad but the S doesn't seem as bad an thd 70s are better too although the rubber 700 handle vs bare or 7-10 plastic helps.

I remember years back an old pom was working with us for a while and he hated little 4 or 5 inch grinders they made his hands buzz the rest of us never gave it a thought though and as an engineer you spend alot of time on 1 lol especially if your welding was less than ideal

Well I got to use the PM800 for a couple of hours today and I can't recommend the muffler mod more, its running beautifully and cooler. I'm running a 28" bar with an 8 pin and full skip , 2 of the oaks I dropped today I had to do the face cuts from both sides.
On a side note I was also using a orange/white off brand and the muffler bolts worked loose after a couple of hours .... so vibes .

Cheers for that edumication sawfun.

They say the off brand 460 vibs bad how would that compare to an 800?

The SP80 when it came out must have been quite the saw

My PM10-10 buzzes bad but the S doesn't seem as bad an thd 70s are better too although the rubber 700 handle vs bare or 7-10 plastic helps.

I remember years back an old pom was working with us for a while and he hated little 4 or 5 inch grinders they made his hands buzz the rest of us never gave it a thought though and as an engineer you spend alot of time on 1 lol especially if your welding was less than ideal
Jethro, the 800 is way smoother than the 460, noticably slower than the 460, but way, way more torque. I think you need to use a 32" bar for the 800 to really shine. That said, I still grab my 850 way before my early D chamber 046. The Mac just feels and balances better in my hands.

Jethro, the 800 is way smoother than the 460, noticably slower than the 460, but way, way more torque. I think you need to use a 32" bar for the 800 to really shine. That said, I still grab my 850 way before my early D chamber 046. The Mac just feels and balances better in my hands.

Interesting stuff that's a fair few years of development between saws I would of thought the AV on the off brand would be much better.

What bars do you run on your 82s?

I've got a Mac/Windsor 32 and its a very nice bar but very heavy too I do like the idea of a light weight bar. Quite an investment though

If you guys keep up the love fest for the 800 I'll have to cancel my order for the fuel injected off brand. Ron

I'm sure you'll still find plenty of excuses to get your favourite 800 out Ron.

Have you had a spin on 1 of those wiz bang machines? The petrol head inside can't help but be interested in it.

What's happened with that monster 10series you had the blew the glass out of the comp tester?

I have not run the FI yet, but have had good service out of the brand’s 60cc saws, thus my interest.

I haven’t fooled with the experimental MAC lately. I either have to modify the ceramic coated piston or modify the combustion chamber to lower the compression. I am leaning towards the chamber. I need to spin up a stock 800 to see what psi it makes at Makita speed before beginning any modifications.

Ron

Interesting stuff that's a fair few years of development between saws I would of thought the AV on the off brand would be much better.

What bars do you run on your 82s?

I've got a Mac/Windsor 32 and its a very nice bar but very heavy too I do like the idea of a light weight bar. Quite an investment though

I'm sure you'll still find plenty of excuses to get your favourite 800 out Ron.

Have you had a spin on 1 of those wiz bang machines? The petrol head inside can't help but be interested in it.

What's happened with that monster 10series you had the blew the glass out of the comp tester?
I run a 28" (the original bar I think) on the 800 and 32" on the 850's and a 32"for my sp80 that Mark rebuilt. All are original Mac bars in 3/8. I have a couple of refurbished 36's for them if needed.

I have not run the FI yet, but have had good service out of the brand’s 60cc saws, thus my interest.

I haven’t fooled with the experimental MAC lately. I either have to modify the ceramic coated piston or modify the combustion chamber to lower the compression. I am leaning towards the chamber. I need to spin up a stock 800 to see what psi it makes at Makita speed before beginning any modifications.

Ron

I imagine its a pretty incredible saw.

Hope to see this monster running 1 day Ron. Maybe just leave the psi through the roof and run race gas lol.

I run a 28" (the original bar I think) on the 800 and 32" on the 850's and a 32"for my sp80 that Mark rebuilt. All are original Mac bars in 3/8. I have a couple of refurbished 36's for them if needed.

28 would be a nice size to have. I have a large gap at the moment traded my 24 for a 7-10 so its eather 30 or 32 haha the 32 is often too much and 20 don't cut the mustard.

The old mac 32 I run has all the paint gone and cut who knows how much yet is still very very good I very rarely need to touch up the rails im considering getting a carlton/Windsor for the next bar if they are still the same quality

I imagine its a pretty incredible saw.

Hope to see this monster running 1 day Ron. Maybe just leave the psi through the roof and run race gas lol.

28 would be a nice size to have. I have a large gap at the moment traded my 24 for a 7-10 so its eather 30 or 32 haha the 32 is often too much and 20 don't cut the mustard.

The old mac 32 I run has all the paint gone and cut who knows how much yet is still very very good I very rarely need to touch up the rails im considering getting a carlton/Windsor for the next bar if they are still the same quality
I think the a 24" bar is a good trade for a 7-10!
I run a 28" but might start packing a 24 with me for the 800 . There was a real glut of 24" Oregon bars on Amazon a year ago and I was getting them for less then 45$ ,so I've got a few. They definitely show some rail wear after a year .
I've got a couple of the speed tips in 20 and 16 .

I think 28" works well on my sp81. I've had it on a pm700 and didn't like it much. Ideally my goal is to have 28" on sp81, a 24" on a 70, and a range of 16"-20" on my Macs smaller than 70. I'm basically just missing the 24" right now. My only 24" saw is currently my Jared 2095....and I'd really like to have a 32"-36" for that.

I think 28" works well on my sp81. I've had it on a pm700 and didn't like it much. Ideally my goal is to have 28" on sp81, a 24" on a 70, and a range of 16"-20" on my Macs smaller than 70. I'm basically just missing the 24" right now. My only 24" saw is currently my Jared 2095....and I'd really like to have a 32"-36" for that.
Are you referring to oem only bars or just the size range?

My 28 and 16" bars are oem, my 18" and 20" aren't.
Well if you search Amazon returns you can find D176 bars pretty cheap at 24" , idk if they are mistakenly bought and returned or if the box is damaged, but I've made out like a bandit on them. Usually the Amazon warehouse deals is where I find them.

I know it's a common saw, but neighbor texted me today and said he left me a saw out in front of my garage. So I guess sometimes saws can find you when others know your a Mac guy.

Anyways for a run of the mill average 10-10a this one looks real clean. Did a quick check over it, put a little mix down carb throat and it popped on first pull. Couple more pulls and it ran a few seconds.
Great neighbor.
I have one next door like that. I took him some tomatoes and I came home with a free MS-170.
He had bought a new saw and said the 170 would not start and his kids had set it where rain water had run in on it.
I checked it out from end to end and found nothing wrong. I dumped out the old gas and put in fresh.
It started with no problem. My guess is they flooded it badly.
Okay for limbing but way to small for me cutting firewood.
Good luck with the Mac.
Clint

I think the a 24" bar is a good trade for a 7-10!
I run a 28" but might start packing a 24 with me for the 800 . There was a real glut of 24" Oregon bars on Amazon a year ago and I was getting them for less then 45$ ,so I've got a few. They definitely show some rail wear after a year .
I've got a couple of the speed tips in 20 and 16 .

Yeah I'll say. I also gave him a brake handle for his 850 super and a startershaft and dogs too. His had busted and not surprised the starter broke the 800s are pretty heavy to yank over with no decompression. His old shaft I cut the end off and welded an end off a short shaft.

Its my best 7-10 yet has lived a previous life as a nz forestry products saw in the 70s its engraved in every part of it. Not sure if it was just 1 guys saw or what but yeah its done some work thats for sure. Its still a don't forget the decomp saw

Latest posts

Back