McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah fencing wire, normally hoarders limit it to their house or yard. This guys got 5 acres of garbage , I could just squeeze down the driveway.
We went to look at a truck but being a hoarder everything he had was priced high and he wouldn't negotiate . Some of his 125 parts were for go karts and he had oversize pistons , he was going to get around to building them "one day" though so wouldn't sell. He was also going to restore his army trucks, yacht and motorbikes. Dudes in his 70s and his neighbours understandably despise him, especially since they carved up the farm next to him into lifestyle blocks and gave him a dozen new neighbours. You drive down the road and theres all these nice new houses with landscaped gardens and then this guy and his piles of crap.

Awww man unreal just rusting away in a leaky shed :( what a waste

Please bear with my inexperience here. I spent some more time on my $30 mystery meat SP81 today, thinking that I was in the clear to get the flywheel and points off so that I can finally get this thing in half and discover if I got my hands on a wonderful gem that only needs cleaning up, or if the thing needs a new piston and/or cylinder.
It was going well for me, except this time a piece of plastic made me pause. :laugh:
I'm assuming you have to take the flywheel key off so you can take the rest of this points enclosure off? Is there a preferred method of doing so to avoid damaging something on a saw like this?
I was able to get the top cover off somehow by rotating it, but it doesn't look like that's possible with this other piece. I just don't want to assume anything and accidentally break something, you know?
View attachment 871020

Something I've noticed is that there's SP81's like yours with the larger sticker on top and what I assume is a safety throttle mechanism, and then there's ones like mine with the smaller, simpler sticker and no safety throttle.
Is that an early model/late model kind of thing? Are there any other differences? It's interesting.
I have a small brass drift to tap the key with ,but sometimes you can get a hooked pick behind it and pop it out..
That's a points box and there's lots of them floating around out there NOS so if you do break it , I don't think they are a rare item.

Yeah fencing wire, normally hoarders limit it to their house or yard. This guys got 5 acres of garbage , I could just squeeze down the driveway.
We went to look at a truck but being a hoarder everything he had was priced high and he wouldn't negotiate . Some of his 125 parts were for go karts and he had oversize pistons , he was going to get around to building them "one day" though so wouldn't sell. He was also going to restore his army trucks, yacht and motorbikes. Dudes in his 70s and his neighbours understandably despise him, especially since they carved up the farm next to him into lifestyle blocks and gave him a dozen new neighbours. You drive down the road and theres all these nice new houses with landscaped gardens and then this guy and his piles of crap.
I've known a couple of guys like that , sometimes it's just spite they're holding stuff.
I was in the middle of Pennsylvania driving around years ago near Lockhaven and past a field of rare old cars ,just acres of them ! 30s to 70s .
I asked another junk man I knew about it and he told me "oh you don't want to deal with him, he's meaner than cat piss!" . Obviously I had to talk to him after that statement.
First time I went up to the house he came out and asked me "what the F do you want?" I told him I was looking for a 1968 4 barrel mustang autolite carb. He said come back in a week.
I came back in a week, first he forgot who I was and when I said "you told me to come back" he was pissed at himself and said come back tomorrow. I did and that went on a couple more times . In the end I did get my carb (for 5 dollars) he just wanted to see if I was committed.
Turned out he was Patton's mechanic in north Africa duing WW2 , had alot of good war stories. I spent 3 hrs walking around the cars one afternoon with him ,he had a story about every car in that yard.
Sometimes your dedication to spending time with someone is rewarded , take donuts or biscuits with you next time, the sure grip rear in my 68' Plymouth came from a case of cheap beer and some fun loving scrap workers.

I've known a couple of guys like that , sometimes it's just spite they're holding stuff.
I was in the middle of Pennsylvania driving around years ago near Lockhaven and past a field of rare old cars ,just acres of them ! 30s to 70s .
I asked another junk man I knew about it and he told me "oh you don't want to deal with him, he's meaner than cat piss!" . Obviously I had to talk to him after that statement.
First time I went up to the house he came out and asked me "what the F do you want?" I told him I was looking for a 1968 4 barrel mustang autolite carb. He said come back in a week.
I came back in a week, first he forgot who I was and when I said "you told me to come back" he was pissed at himself and said come back tomorrow. I did and that went on a couple more times . In the end I did get my carb (for 5 dollars) he just wanted to see if I was committed.
Turned out he was Patton's mechanic in north Africa duing WW2 , had alot of good war stories. I spent 3 hrs walking around the cars one afternoon with him ,he had a story about every car in that yard.
Sometimes your dedication to spending time with someone is rewarded , take donuts or biscuits with you next time, the sure grip rear in my 68' Plymouth came from a case of cheap beer and some fun loving scrap workers.
I don't think I remember you talking about a 68 Plymouth. I have a "1 of 64" made, 68 Plymouth Formula S convertable. I'm next on the list for a resto. I'm having it done by Hemi Cuda driver Bucky Hess. I told him my favorite all time drag car was a 65 Coronet 426 Hemi. He took me in a garage where his son has his 65 Hemi Plymouth, a 64 Hemi model 440, and one of Bucky's 68 hemi Cuda's.
https://www.moparmagazine.com/2016/11/he-cant-get-over-anxious/

Well, I finally did it. How's it look inside?
Piston1.jpg
Piston2.jpg
Bearings.jpg
Cylinder1.jpg
Cylinder2.jpg
Cylinder3.jpg
Cylinder4.jpg
Also, how does one go about removing this oil pump? I could only find two screws, one of which had a nut on the back inside the oil tank, but it feels stuck on there pretty good. Does it just need some persuasion with a rubber hammer, or is there something else holding it on?
OilPump.jpg

That's pretty cool! I'm tempted now because I'm in a reasonable enough distance to pick that up, but I'd have to take the ferry... I wish it was somewhere on the other side of the sound.

How's it look inside?
I'd say you're in pretty good shape for a solid rebuild. Get rid of the carbon, buff that piston, see what kind of ring gap and piston/cylinder clearance you have and go from there. Inspect the crank and bearings closely and do seals just because you're already there.

The screw with the nut on it in the oil pump is the adjustment screw. The pump itself will be secured with either one screw in the front and a spring brace in the rear or three screws.

Attachments

• Super Pro 81 July 1976 - All Prefixes.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Well, I finally did it. How's it look inside?
View attachment 871199
View attachment 871200
View attachment 871193
View attachment 871194
View attachment 871195
View attachment 871196
View attachment 871197
Also, how does one go about removing this oil pump? I could only find two screws, one of which had a nut on the back inside the oil tank, but it feels stuck on there pretty good. Does it just need some persuasion with a rubber hammer, or is there something else holding it on?
View attachment 871198

That's pretty cool! I'm tempted now because I'm in a reasonable enough distance to pick that up, but I'd have to take the ferry... I wish it was somewhere on the other side of the sound.

That thing is going to be sweet as. The marks are all below the exhaust port so won't effect compression. Perhaps rings n seals and off ya go. What size cylinder is it? If its an A good luck finding a oem piston but vinnys favourite sp81 has an LRB so thats an option. Honestly though it will probably clean up just fine if it even needs rings at all

I don't think I remember you talking about a 68 Plymouth. I have a "1 of 64" made, 68 Plymouth Formula S convertable. I'm next on the list for a resto. I'm having it done by Hemi Cuda driver Bucky Hess. I told him my favorite all time drag car was a 65 Coronet 426 Hemi. He took me in a garage where his son has his 65 Hemi Plymouth, a 64 Hemi model 440, and one of Bucky's 68 hemi Cuda's.
https://www.moparmagazine.com/2016/11/he-cant-get-over-anxious/
It's just a run of the mill 2 door hard top, 318 automatic car.
Had some rust in the lower quaters . I've had it for a long time though and it gives me something to drive around it once in awhile ,4bbl with 340 cam and headers makes it nice to drive.
I've done 2 disk brake conversions on it and front sway from a 69' and a rear from a f150 sport truck make it corner pretty good , for its size.
I've been working on the interior on and off.20201126_162146.jpg

What size cylinder is it?
How exactly do I determine that? If I'm reading the IPL correctly it says there's supposed to be an A, B, or C marking somewhere on both the piston and cylinder. Where are these marks supposed to be?
I took a quick look and didn't notice anything on the cylinder, while on the piston these are the only obvious letters that I found. Could be under the spots with carbon buildup I guess.
Piston3.jpg
Piston4.jpg

How exactly do I determine that? If I'm reading the IPL correctly it says there's supposed to be an A, B, or C marking somewhere on both the piston and cylinder. Where are these marks supposed to be?
I took a quick look and didn't notice anything on the cylinder, while on the piston these are the only obvious letters that I found. Could be under the spots with carbon buildup I guess.
View attachment 871239
View attachment 871240

Should be up right on the top by the plug more or less but. If no mark its probably a B from memory and those are still available. I may be wrong but pretty sure that's how it goes

Your cylinder also is the open transfer which kinda matches the old style logo and decal but no real science in that. Mac's ran out the parts and carried on with the next lol

Latest posts

Back