McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had very similar happen on an XL-12.It was showing that I had great spark,I ended up putting new points & condenser in it & it ran great after that.Maybe I should pull the flywheel,clean the points & try a different condenser.

If i could part them all out and sell the stuff id be better off finacially but i couldnt do it. I like them too much. Ill just keep them all the way they are. Theyre all happier together that way. I can just imagine them in a scared quivery voice whispering " did you here what happened to jimmy?,,, what if im next?" Then conspiring together to attack! Lol

When I got into this almost 30 yrs ago now it wasnt with the thought of getting rich or even making money in the future.I just liked the old saws,a few smaller ones I learned on (using them cutting firewood with Dad starting at 17,then working on them & finally collecting a few years later) so part of it is the nostalgia factor,though its also the durability & legendary status of several models also..Though I've sold a few duplicate parts,a bar or three occasionally,thats not a big thing with me,far from it.I just like older things,always have.From my antique woodworking hand tools,,2 vintage restored De Walt radial arm saws from 1949 & 1967,to my vintage late 70's Pioneer turntable bought in high school & classic late 60's/70's rock & roll/blues/old school country LP collection.Which I still listen to a few times weekly.After a long hiatus,I'm slowly replacing the lost,traded or sold vinyl that'd gone missing over the years. Good thing they're still almost everywhere,quite cheap too,in VG to EXC condition.
DSC01265.JPG

Anyone know a good replacement for a decompression valve on a pm 850. I don't want to spin off the drive shaft some one took the old one out and replaced it with a bolt

Anyone know a good replacement for a decompression valve on a pm 850. I don't want to spin off the drive shaft some one took the old one out and replaced it with a bolt
Ill be honest here and please be kind guys, but ive used on 2 occasions an echo 620p/600p/590 decompression valve. The threads need to be tapped to metric thread but once you do they fit and work very well. But once you do it...you cant really go back. But the decomp valves for echo are found pretty regularly on ebay for 10.00. Its an easy job to do. Stihl valves are too small and mac valves are pricey and at the time there were none available and i was impatient. Again...be kind guys.

Ill be honest here and please be kind guys, but ive used on 2 occasions an echo 620p/600p/590 decompression valve. The threads need to be tapped to metric thread but once you do they fit and work very well. But once you do it...you cant really go back. But the decomp valves for echo are found pretty regularly on ebay for 10.00. Its an easy job to do. Stihl valves are too small and mac valves are pricey and at the time there were none available and i was impatient. Again...be kind guys.

That's probably a good way to go. Could run a die down the valve too I spose

Ill add that i removed the tiny allen head bolt above the muffler and put a q-tip in there clear to the cylinder to stop any metal from getting into the cylinder. Then used every means possible to clean when i was done. Vacuum, oil, q-tips and rags and compressed air. Triple checked it was clear before removing that q-tip. This was done while the saw was together.

Back