McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been using the PM800 alot lately for blocking up some big oak ,so not alot of 700 work .
I've got 4 saws in various stages of restoration right now though (mostly off brand)and one is a McCulloch I got cheap. I'm gonna try and get it buttoned up in the next few weeks.
Its a secret weapon.

I decided to dig into my freebie 5-10 and try to make it a runner. Aside from a lot of dirt, everything looks good. It has a clean p/c, good compression, no broken/missing parts and it doesn't need anything other than a new clutch drum so it'll run 3/8. I thought it needed a new tank gasket, but I realized I was wrong after I ordered a new one, so I figure I may as well install it. Compared to the 3120 I'm also rebuilding currently, this seems tiny and dead-nuts simple to work on. My only complaint is this is a D176 mount and I only have one sprocket nose D176 bar (a 24 incher on my 10-10), but I have 5 or 6 D196 bars ranging from 24-36 inches that I'd rather run on this. Looks like I'll be making an adapter to run Husky bars (or the D196's) instead. Also, I'm thinking I'll rebuild my 1-43 with the bad top end and keep that and my 1-42 as my two "impractical" old saws. I've only got a dozen or so saws and only about half of them need work, pretty soon I won't have any more projects of my own.
IMG_5808.jpegIMG_5814.jpeg

I run 2 , but have 3.
One with Mark's full wrap and one I'm trying a roller nose bar , skip ,square filed chisel, and an 8 pin.

What size bar? Had a skip square ground on the 81 and with a 7 pin it would hardly load the saw and really slow. Was pulling nice big long chips but really think it needed an 8.

A nice bloke I sold a 10-10 too sent it for a try.

Ive been using the PM800 alot lately for blocking up some big oak ,so not alot of 700 work .
I've got 4 saws in various stages of restoration right now though (mostly off brand)and one is a McCulloch I got cheap. I'm gonna try and get it buttoned up in the next few weeks.
Its a secret weapon.

Can't wait to see this weapon

I bought this "in-expensive" set from a Princes Auto store...
Thanks for the post, Mark. It's difficult to get a relative handle on the actual 'size' of the tool after looking at a gazillion of them online this afternoon. There seem to be two basic sizes of the smaller separators -- 2" (30mm to 50mm), and 3" (75mm to 105mm). Yours would appear similar in size to the one in this kit. Maybe even the same kit?

Wish I could even get to mine. Seems like the ones in front of me are always someone else's. LOL
I know that feeling lol. Since deciding a year ago to make a go at small engine repair as a part time business, I have much more disposable income to buy project.saws but much less time to actually work on them lol.
I currently need to rebuild the carb and recoil on my 7-10, rebuild the carb on my Super 250, and fix the oiler on one of the PM610s. Once that is done I have a 3-10E and a 450 waiting to be gone through/restored.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the post, Mark. It's difficult to get a relative handle on the actual 'size' of the tool after looking at a gazillion of them online this afternoon. There seem to be two basic sizes of the smaller separators -- 2" (30mm to 50mm), and 3" (75mm to 105mm). Yours would appear similar in size to the one in this kit. Maybe even the same kit?

There are a variety of kits with two different "cups" included for ~$40
https://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Bearing-Separator-Splitters-Bearings/dp/B07T49N6NY/
Or you could go with something like this, can adjust to whatever size you want, but of course you're stressing two specific points on the bearing when pulling
https://www.amazon.com/Shankly-Harmonic-Bearing-Puller-Pulley/dp/B071SFBRJK/

Wish I could even get to mine. Seems like the ones in front of me are always someone else's. LOL
Funny, I’m working my way towards that. I’ve fixed a couple saws for buddies and recently had a friend who has a tree business say he’ll send me a few busted saws to rebuild for him. I could go grab them myself but I’m trying to get a few other life projects taken care of before I start focusing on other people’s stuff

Slightly off-topic but are 10-series Macs becoming a “hot item” near any of you guys? A buddy who practically is a used saw dealer and sends all the yellow saws he gets my way said he’s had people asking him about 10-10’s because “Billy Bob Something-or-other uses them on Youtube” and I was wondering if that was happening near any of you.

Slightly off-topic but are 10-series Macs becoming a “hot item” near any of you guys? A buddy who practically is a used saw dealer and sends all the yellow saws he gets my way said he’s had people asking him about 10-10’s because “Billy Bob Something-or-other uses them on Youtube” and I was wondering if that was happening near any of you.

Is down here for sure. Not crazy like the states but still crazy enough. The guy I got my latest 10s off is a older guy 72 he's not into youtube or the interwebs he has no idea of the craze going on and charges what a old obsolete saw should be worth.

My 81 sat on trade me twice for a week each time at 350nz. A running 24 inch bar 82cc mac. When my 850 was on it went up to 500 odd but only 3 of us after it and perhaps this time with the 81 they were broke or had 1 already

Back