McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this interesting Mac 10-10 auto (pic 1) in the online classifieds today. It's got one of those one-piece starter covers that I've seen posted here (and also in the Mac workshop manual), but it's covered by a sort of mesh. It looks like a home-made setup, but I've actually seen one just like this in the classifieds before (see pic 2 below).

top-left.jpg

Mac_10-10a_strange.jpg

Both have the smooth black fuel tank top and air filter cover, as opposed to the irregular "stone chip" kind finish on the other one in #1, as well as my own. Has anyone seen one like this before?

I saw this interesting Mac 10-10 auto (pic 1) in the online classifieds today. It's got one of those one-piece starter covers that I've seen posted here (and also in the Mac workshop manual), but it's covered by a sort of mesh. It looks like a home-made setup, but I've actually seen one just like this in the classifieds before (see pic 2 below).

View attachment 905094

View attachment 905095

Both have the smooth black fuel tank top and air filter cover, as opposed to the irregular "stone chip" kind finish on the other one in #1, as well as my own. Has anyone seen one like this before?
I have seen pics of European MACS (Belgium) with the screen added.

I got what I think is the impulse line (short black rubber line) between the tank, and into the engine. It's pretty old and looks not in the best condition. While I got the saw in pieces I thought better to replace this line. Can I use one for a Stihl saw, or did McCulloch use a different size/dia? Can't really find any online...TIA

So ignorant question maybe... SP125S verse 125C difference? Steel sleeve verse chrome lined cylinder? If So which is better? Out of my wheels house here a bit . Thanks all.

The ones with the steel sleeve could be bored oversize (McCulloch offered 0.010'", 0.020", and 0.030" oversized pistons for the saws with the sleeve). Some would ague that the chrome bore were a bit smoother/slicker and would allow the engine to run higher RPM. If the chrome is damaged it will be necessary to find a place that can clean up the bore and re-plate the cylinder.

Mark

The ones with the steel sleeve could be bored oversize (McCulloch offered 0.010'", 0.020", and 0.030" oversized pistons for the saws with the sleeve). Some would ague that the chrome bore were a bit smoother/slicker and would allow the engine to run higher RPM. If the chrome is damaged it will be necessary to find a place that can clean up the bore and re-plate the cylinder.

Mark
Thank you. I thought that was the difference in the S or C destinations on the saws. Just not as up on the 125's I assume US chrome could rechrome a 125c block like they have some of my 82cc 10 series blocks. Again Thanks. I try no to bother you guys with dumb questions lol. This is what happens when yellow fever expands outside of the 82cc 10 series realm. Long sorry short I may have found me a 125C. Like I need more saws lol.

Max

This saw is something that my father has owned since it was new (~ 1960). I remember this as a kid and it was still tucked away in the back of a rolling cabinet with the owners manual and the wrench. It has not been used much and not used at all in the past 50+ years. He had 3 other chain saws that were from the current century... I am trying to sell this for my brother and want to get him a proper price for this. I know that this is a "Barn Find" for saw collectors. We fired it up without any issues, it is in great shape. The paint seems to be all original, the manual and parts list are oil soaked, but intact. It has the original McCulloch bar as well. We are looking for an honest value. There is no big rush for a quick sale, we have time on our side. Thanks for the help, Craig

20210417_173339.jpg

20210417_173425.jpg20210417_173450.jpg

This saw is something that my father has owned since it was new (~ 1960). I remember this as a kid and it was still tucked away in the back of a rolling cabinet with the owners manual and the wrench. It has not been used much and not used at all in the past 50+ years. He had 3 other chain saws that were from the current century... I am trying to sell this for my brother and want to get him a proper price for this. I know that this is a "Barn Find" for saw collectors. We fired it up without any issues, it is in great shape. The paint seems to be all original, the manual and parts list are oil soaked, but intact. It has the original McCulloch bar as well. We are looking for an honest value. There is no big rush for a quick sale, we have time on our side. Thanks for the help, Craig

View attachment 906066

View attachment 906067View attachment 906069
Thats a nice example of a 1-40, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't command more than 100.00 bucks.
I paid 60.00 for one in similar condition and I think I paid 20.00 to much, there could be a collector who is looking for one but they are plentiful and rugged just not highly desirable.

Some of the Mac groups on Facebook seem to entertain fairly decent (ridiculous?) prices on older saws in good condition. May be a resource to consider.

Lots of upstart collectors are looking for nice older Macs just to say they have one (even if they have no idea what it is). That saw is a runner in very good condition with original documentation and could possibly fetch $150~$200 in the right arena. The operative phrase is, "in the right arena."

View attachment 906066

View attachment 906067View attachment 906069

Don't sell it man. Not worth getting rid of a family relic for a box of beer or two

Latest posts

Back