Mcculloch Electric Start surprise!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL CRUSADER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So anyway I got bored this evening and decided to go out to the shop and pull apart a mac power head that I had gotten for free. This thing looked like hell and had some magnesium rot and appeared to have been sitting outside on the bare ground open to the elements for the last 30 years. Muffler and shroud rotted off and top handle broke on bottom but I basically snagged it for the bar spike to put on my 7-10A project. Upon dis assembly I found that this was actually well at least at one time a electric start saw. Never expected this as the rear handle brace was just a standard brace and had no battery box or anything. Upon further inspection I discovered that this is not only a electric start saw but a 5-10e the 70cc one. of coarse the motor is stuck but from what i can see there is no scoring so maybe just stuck from sitting out. I have motor tore down and is soaking hoping that I will be able to remove piston from cylinder. If not oh well I was happy to at least score my spike, all the hardware, and other various good usable parts. Also was nice to have the chance to see what one of these starter mechanisms are made of. Wish me luck with the top end. If I am able to save it i may have a hell of a time finding some of the missing parts.

I had a 10-10E at one time. It too was missing the battery box and the starter brushes. But other than that it ran great. diggers dad has it now.

Im not positive but everything appears to be there. Brushes and all. Just missing batterys, box, and brace.

There are quite a few 10 Series E saws out there. I have a couple of 3-10E parts saws if you come up blank through the regular channels.

I have a running 3-10E, even put new batteries in it at one time but they eventually gave up. I can still start it with a "jumper cable" I made up. I also have a running 5-10E but never bothered to replace the batteries. My 10-10E is pretty sad, perhaps one day I will find a better one to put up on the shelf.

attachment.php

Mark

There are quite a few 10 Series E saws out there. I have a couple of 3-10E parts saws if you come up blank through the regular channels.

I have a running 3-10E, even put new batteries in it at one time but they eventually gave up. I can still start it with a "jumper cable" I made up. I also have a running 5-10E but never bothered to replace the batteries. My 10-10E is pretty sad, perhaps one day I will find a better one to put up on the shelf.

attachment.php

Mark

Will keep that in mind. Hopefully top end will free up. Wouldn't necessarily need to turn it back into a E start but hey It would be cool since I don't have one. I do have a Remington E start Mighty Mite but that's not Quite as cool as a 5-10.

If I remember correctly the Remington did not have batteries on board, but relied on a cable connection to a car battery for the starter. I had a manual on hand at one time, can't remember if I filed it away or sent it along when I sold off a small pile of little Remington/JD saws.

Mark

If I remember correctly the Remington did not have batteries on board, but relied on a cable connection to a car battery for the starter. I had a manual on hand at one time, can't remember if I filed it away or sent it along when I sold off a small pile of little Remington/JD saws.

Mark
That is possible however the last time I looked at a ipl at work for one of the remingtons it showed a pack that you could charge and then carry on your belt. I just made a jumper and start it off my dewalt drill battery.

Will keep that in mind. Hopefully top end will free up. Wouldn't necessarily need to turn it back into a E start but hey It would be cool since I don't have one. I do have a Remington E start Mighty Mite but that's not Quite as cool as a 5-10.
Regarding Mac electric start. I just got a very nice 3-10E. The batteries are missing. I need to create a new battery pack. The IPL does not show how the positive and neg wires connect to the pack. Would you happen to know?

So there's no starter motor like Stihl Crusader is talking about? I assumed they fit a small motor somewhere. I wouldn't have guessed an armature style winding would be strong enough.

I have one of them that I bought maybe 10 yrs ago on a garage sale from the original owner just out of curiosity. Now I need to take a car or drill battery and see if the thing works electrically

So there's no starter motor like Stihl Crusader is talking about? I assumed they fit a small motor somewhere. I wouldn't have guessed an armature style winding would be strong enough.
This article give an overview of the operation

Attachments

• McCulloch X-10 E design and wiring-compressed.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back