McCulloch flat back Carburetor welch plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I need a 1 inch welch plug for a McCulloch flat back carb. Any one know where to purchase them.

• Where to buy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MD Hubbard Spring Company

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lloyd Poff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need 1 inch welch plugs for flat back McCulloch carburetors. Evidently there is a fine mesh screen that is plugged. A bath in carburetor cleaner didn't fix the fuel starvation so I'm going to remove the welch plug. Any one know where these plugs can be purchased?

The flat back carburetors were made by Walbro but I have never seen any Walbro numbers assigned to one.

75walbro.jpg

The McCulloch part number for the 1" welch plug (plug - expansion) is 104407. Some had a sintered metal "capillary seal" and some had an aluminum seat and a nylon check ball under that plug depending on the model of the carburetor.

I have a few of the 1" welch plugs if you can't find one elsewhere.

Mark

The flat back carburetors were made by Walbro but I have never seen any Walbro numbers assigned to one.

View attachment 698193

The McCulloch part number for the 1" welch plug (plug - expansion) is 104407. Some had a sintered metal "capillary seal" and some had an aluminum seat and a nylon check ball under that plug depending on the model of the carburetor.

I have a few of the 1" welch plugs if you can't find one elsewhere.

Mark
Thanks for the information, I did find 1 inch plugs at MD Hubbard Spring, I ordered 3 about a week ago & they have done nothing. Maybe they sell only wholesale. Any way my customer needs his old saw, so I made a plug from some .062 aluminum. I just installed it this afternoon & letting the sealant dry overnight. I will put it all together in the morning & give it a try. Thanks again for your reply.

We have a big box of welch plugs somewhere. I can see if my buddy knows where they are if you are still interested. I checked in the McCulloch parts, nothing there.

We have a big box of welch plugs somewhere. I can see if my buddy knows where they are if you are still interested. I checked in the McCulloch parts, nothing there.
Hi Choppy, Thanks for your kind reply. If the expansion plug I made this afternoon doesn't work I will contact you. Great people here on this site.

Hi Choppy, Thanks for your kind reply. If the expansion plug I made this afternoon doesn't work I will contact you. Great people here on this site.
I found a couple with the McCulloch part number on eBay, but they were "sold out". Not sure exactly how it can still be listed, not like there's a source (or demand) for a bunch of them.

Hi ChoppyChoppy, It's been several days since I made a welch plug for the Walbro flat back carburetor. It runs great & starts fine. This carb does have the nylon ball check under the 1 inch plug. I have an older flat back that has a fine mesh screen under the plug which could stop fuel flow if dirty. Carbs look identical on the exterior. You never know what you got till you take it apart. I used .o62 aluminum I had in the shop to make the plug & sealed it with red Loctite. Any way I appreciate your kind replies & wish you many hours of safe chain saw operation.

Latest posts

Back