McCulloch Flatback Welch Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm working on a flatback out of a 380, and I have a few full rebuild kits on hand, so I decided to give it the works. This is my first time doing welch plugs, and I removed them (without damaging the carb), popped the new ones in, hammered them down a bit with a punch, and now I'm trying to determine if they're leaking or not.

If I pull the adjustment needles, shoot some brake cleaner in the holes, and nothing leaks out of the welch plugs, am I in good shape?

I'm working on a flatback out of a 380, and I have a few full rebuild kits on hand, so I decided to give it the works. This is my first time doing welch plugs, and I removed them (without damaging the carb), popped the new ones in, hammered them down a bit with a punch, and now I'm trying to determine if they're leaking or not.

If I pull the adjustment needles, shoot some brake cleaner in the holes, and nothing leaks out of the welch plugs, am I in good shape?

Years ago I had a weekend job in a smallengine/ chainsaw shop that dealt with McCs the mech there always insisted when doing carb rebuilds that welch plugs were coated around the edge with nail varnish to prevent leaks [ His words you don`t want to be doing this twice when you only need to do it once] I always do this on all carbs that I fit new welch plugs to & have never had a problem.

Years ago I had a weekend job in a smallengine/ chainsaw shop that dealt with McCs the mech there always insisted when doing carb rebuilds that welch plugs were coated around the edge with nail varnish to prevent leaks [ His words you don`t want to be doing this twice when you only need to do it once] I always do this on all carbs that I fit new welch plugs to & have never had a problem.

I have heard that lock tight thread sealant is a good choice. Do you happen to know where 1 inch welch plugs can be purchased?
Lloyd

I got real tired of looking for a 1 inch welch plug so I made one from a piece of .062 aluminum. I made it concave with the top of a carriage bolt, scribed a mark on it using the plug removed. Carefully fit it to the carburetor used some red lock tight sealant and depressed the center to expand the plug. It looks good, letting it dry over night & will assemble the carburetor in the morning & see if it is a success. I tried to order from HD Hubbard Spring Co. & it's been a week since ordering. I haven't heard a thing from them & they do sell 1 inch welch plugs. Maybe they don't like small orders or are wholesale. Any way I think I have the problem solved.

Back