McCulloch logo history. Saw identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotax Steve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to this group and this is my first question post.
I'm trying to identify if the McCulloch 7-10 Automatic I'm rebuilding is original. The tag # matches up with the 7-10 but the recoil has the older cMc rectangle logo and the chain cover is the large M. Is that common or is this a frankensaw? Also the stats information here says the 7-10 has a chain brake. Did they all have chain brakes or was this an option? Screenshot_20210111-084649~2.pngIMG_20201116_072210917~3.jpgThis one does. The brake was removed in one photo. Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Steve Hudson
Idaho

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_163216057~2.jpg
    IMG_20201206_163216057~2.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 21
Nice old mac! Sometimes parts are interchangeable on those old macs and people do what they have to at the time. If your trying to just restore it I understand. I have a few that I could have bought a couple new saws with what I have in them. @heimannm is definitely who you want to ask. He knows all things Mac.

Hey there yeah the brake came on the later ones standard generally with the later style duel stickers on the air lid. The brake was optional from 72 or 3 ish the later (mountains) logo seems to come in around 73 74. The SP81 changed about then. Some saws seemed to hang onto the older logo and yeah if had a brake would have the newer on it or none at all. I've got an ipl with the newer logo and the the older on the saw picture on the front.

As with mac carbon dating saws is hard you basically have to add all the evidence and call it somewhere there. They also used parts as they ran out of stock even.

To skip the long story yup could well be factory:)

I like that clutch cover the best.

Wicked saw by they way I hope you run the pants off of it.

Ps come over to the Mac thread.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mcculloch-chain-saws.71126/page-1984

The 7-10 models were built in various form from 1970 through 1977 so there were many changes made during that time. Your 15- serial number indicates a later model so the chain brake would have been standard. There were even later models (16-, 17- serial numbers) which had the throttle release (operator presence lever, safety, whatever you prefer to call it) in addition to the chain brake. Very early saws had the lever operated compression release (DSP) and the old clutch cover with added clearance on the bottom.

I have examples of all three, lever type DSP and old clutch cover, pop up DSP and still the old style clutch cover, and pop up DSP, throttle release, and short clutch cover with chain brake. The older clutch cover had the cMc logo, the chain brake clutch covers were either blank or had the mountain logo.

IMG_1342.JPG

McCulloch 7-10 4.JPG

20201026_184648.jpg

Mark

The 7-10 models were built in various form from 1970 through 1977 so there were many changes made during that time. Your 15- serial number indicates a later model so the chain brake would have been standard. There were even later models (16-, 17- serial numbers) which had the throttle release (operator presence lever, safety, whatever you prefer to call it) in addition to the chain brake. Very early saws had the lever operated compression release (DSP) and the old clutch cover with added clearance on the bottom.

I have examples of all three, lever type DSP and old clutch cover, pop up DSP and still the old style clutch cover, and pop up DSP, throttle release, and short clutch cover with chain brake. The older clutch cover had the cMc logo, the chain brake clutch covers were either blank or had the mountain logo.

View attachment 881959

View attachment 881960

View attachment 881962

Mark

When do ya recon the labels changed Mark? 75 76? That last picture of yours does it have a mountains logo on the starter?

My IPL's dated 1974 have the cMc logo, those dated 1976 have the MC mountain logo. I will need to search some paper files to see if I can find any 1975 IPL's and see what they have.

With McCulloch, they switched to the new one when the were ready and stopped using the old one when they used up all the old stock.

Mark

Cool mark. Yeah I guess thats why we see saws with a mixture.

My 81 has the blank braked clutch cover. Were the blank ones earlier than the logo type? I kinda like the falling sight on it

Oddly my starter is a blank 1 but its not a pm cover its definitely older and lighter and has two short lines for a sight vs the long line for the PM covers.

I know you must get sick of all these questions but your knowledge is great for us younger ones

The 1975 IPL that I have shows the MC mountain logo on the cover. I suspect there were many saws built in 1974, 1975, and 1976 that had a combination of designs included. As you note, some of the early clutch covers had the spot for the MC mountain but were blank. Others had the mountain logo screen printed on, and some were incorporated in the casting.

DSC02966.JPG

DSCN5750.JPG

Mark

My IPL's dated 1974 have the cMc logo, those dated 1976 have the MC mountain logo. I will need to search some paper files to see if I can find any 1975 IPL's and see what they have.

With McCulloch, they switched to the new one when the were ready and stopped using the old one when they used up all the old stock.

Mark
Mark, do you think during the time of the logo change, McCulloch would have used what was available? If starter's with the older cMc logo were still on the shelf they would have used it in combination with the mountain M on the chain cover? Thanks for your help.

The 1975 IPL that I have shows the MC mountain logo on the cover. I suspect there were many saws built in 1974, 1975, and 1976 that had a combination of designs included. As you note, some of the early clutch covers had the spot for the MC mountain but were blank. Others had the mountain logo screen printed on, and some were incorporated in the casting.

View attachment 882246

View attachment 882247

Mark

Thank you :)

Mark, do you think during the time of the logo change, McCulloch would have used what was available? If starter's with the older cMc logo were still on the shelf they would have used it in combination with the mountain M on the chain cover? Thanks for your help.

Yup you bet ya

Hope going off topic is ok or should I post this question separate? I had trouble with this saw when I first got it started. It would rev up and down while idling, then die. I found the intake manifold was shot so I fixed that and got the saw running again this morning but it was still doing that. Then I noticed it fired up one time and the compression valve hadn't popped out. Could this be the leak I was looking for? I can start it with it pulled out but it will surge up and down again. Is that a system of a bad release valve or would my intake still be a problem
(or both)? Thanks
IMG_20210107_203651666~2.jpg

It sounds like you got a lean condition.

Post on the mac thread. Heaps of knowledgeable chaps to help out

Gaskets or crank seals. It will just run sluggish and slow with the decomp open but still pull fuel correctly.

Edit.
May just need a tune also

The McCulloch Motors Corporation was founded in Milwaukee Wisconsin in 1943. The company's first product was a chain saw designed by Robert Paxton McCulloch. In 1946 the company introduced its first outboard motor and by 1949 it had become one of the largest manufacturers of small engines in the United States. This dissertation for sale is available for students who are interested in it as the company's products were used in a wide variety of applications including lawn and garden equipment pumps generators and go-karts. McCulloch was also a pioneer in the development of two-stroke engines.

Back