McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best way to get the engine back into the case(mini mac) is to pull the throttle outside the case and to the right, it wont crack. Now that its out of the way, position the throttle linkage onto the magnets of the flywheel. Now you can slide the engine into the case and make sure the fuel line sits in its proper grove. The removable starter mini's are easier obviously but on a MM1 and MM6 you can rotate the recoil until the engine slides in correctly.

Pull out throttle ........... check
I do remember using the flywheel magnets to hold the linkage after hooking it on the throttle shaft ........... will do that when going back together ......... check
Fuel ......... hows that tank filter come out ? .......... saw the slot for the fitting to the tank, will do that when going back together ......... check

THANKS !!!
Any more tips ?

The fuel filter comes out in pieces lol.... Havent had much luck salvaging them so unless you have a new one just leave it alone.

Fyi you need that whole filter in the tank, it controls fuel flow to the carb. If only a piece of the filter is used it will flood the saw out. Thats my experience with them anyways.

The fuel filter comes out in pieces lol.... Havent had much luck salvaging them so unless you have a new one just leave it alone.

Fyi you need that whole filter in the tank, it controls fuel flow to the carb. If only a piece of the filter is used it will flood the saw out. Thats my experience with them anyways.

Good thing I left it alone ........... Thnx for the tip !!!!

I have an SP40 as well as the PM510, basically the same saw. I do use the SP40 from time to time when I need a nice little bucket saw. Only thing I don't like about it is the 1/4" pitch chain, I think even 3/8LP is quicker. The are nicer to work on that a regular MM, no need to remove the engine from the housing to service the carburetor.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

As you can see it was missing the manual oiler lever when I got it. I added one from a donor MM so now I have both automatic oiling and a more convenient manual as well.

I have not done anything with the PM510 yet but it seems to have something gone wrong with the handle, maybe missing a mount or a screw somewhere as it seems pretty loose.

Mark

Yes, crank shaft seals.

If you don't secure the throttle linkage near where it needs to end up, they always manage to get turned around inside the saw and either bent, disconnected, or just plain impossible to retrieve.

OT - it is quite easy to work on, certainly better than the Titan Series. I still have a Titan 50 in need of a piston, I think that may wait another year until I forget the most recent experience on the Double Eagle 50.

Mark

Hi Mark did you have any luck finding crank seals for the double eagle? I have a Titan 57 that I can't find seals for in my neck of the woods, so it's still in a basket.

Thanks,

Lee

I have an SP40 as well as the PM510, basically the same saw. I do use the SP40 from time to time when I need a nice little bucket saw. Only thing I don't like about it is the 1/4" pitch chain, I think even 3/8LP is quicker. The are nicer to work on that a regular MM, no need to remove the engine from the housing to service the carburetor.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

As you can see it was missing the manual oiler lever when I got it. I added one from a donor MM so now I have both automatic oiling and a more convenient manual as well.

I have not done anything with the PM510 yet but it seems to have something gone wrong with the handle, maybe missing a mount or a screw somewhere as it seems pretty loose.

Mark

Nice, cant swap the sprocket/drum for a 3/8" counterpart?

Lee - Seals were good so I didn't have to find replacements. If yours are bad, pull them out and take them (with he crank shaft) to a good bearing house, they should have no trouble matching them up with something that is still available.

OT - I'm sure I could, but I don't use it that much and have several spare 1/4" pitch chains so I feel obligated to use it as is for the time being.

Mark

Dennis I'm glad to see your thread has taken off. I still think "####ing MiniMacs!!!!" would've been a better title.......but it wouldn't get past the censor software.:D

I use my SP40 when up a tree or my cutting buddy also uses it when he goes up the tree. It's got a 18" bar and cuts pretty good. I'll try to find a pic or video.

BTW, the sp40 has a fixed high side carb that is way too rich. I swapped carb pieces and drilled a few holes here and there and now it's fully adjustable and a completely different saw.

[video=youtube;G_VCZhA9oVg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_VCZhA9oVg[/video]

Why is it you're always sawing up twigs with your 85cc macs, then you bust t a 14" round to test video the sp40? LOL.. We are all way to alike in here.... :)

Why is it you're always sawing up twigs with your 85cc macs, then you bust t a 14" round to test video the sp40? LOL.. We are all way to alike in here.... :)

That was aged hickory!! Very hard for that little saw to cut.

I'll be getting some new logs soon. I've been to busy at work and now I've got 3 tree jobs waiting.

That was aged hickory!! Very hard for that little saw to cut.

I'll be getting some new logs soon. I've been to busy at work and now I've got 3 tree jobs waiting.

I'm just bustin on ya. If I could mail you a big log, I would.

Latest posts

Back