McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overtrained

Not crazy, Stoopid!
Reaction score
Since there is already a MAC thread dedicated more towards the larger saws I'm starting a thread dedicated to the 38cc and under crowd. All mini's, power mac's, 3200 series and all the smaller late models bring your questions, comments, concerns, pics and etc here. We will see if we can straighten your saw out before you flip it in the garbage or prop open your nearest door.:cheers:

My contribution...:

JoesMobilesaws002.jpg

JoesMobilesaws001.jpg

I know most of you won't admit but you have worked on one of these little guys somewhere a long your CAD infection, if not you wouldn't have realized how much of a pain they are.:clap:

It didn't take me long, first one I tried to get going the starter rope would not retract after 4 or 5 pulls. After putting it back several times I gave it and its brother away. No point in adding more frustration to my life, especially over a POS saw.

It didn't take me long, first one I tried to get going the starter rope would not retract after 4 or 5 pulls. After putting it back several times I gave it and its brother away. No point in adding more frustration to my life, especially over a POS saw.

Im assuming you are talking about a mini, that being said the Air filter cover was prob pressing up against the hook on the recoil spring.

The first chainsaws I was permitted to run as a teenager were PowerMac 6As. My brother and I did a lot of trimming and thinning with several of "the world's lightest" chainsaws. It sure beat pole saw duty. Eight or so years later I brought my first saw, a PM 510. It ran like crazy but was hard to start. Being ignorant of any limitation except available bar length, I ran the longest bar that would fit (I believe it came with a 14"; after it eventually spit the sprocket and I replaced it with a 16" IIRCC). I cut everything with that little 1/4" pitch saw; including falling a 24" white oak that barber chaired (I was an ignorant young fool back then - now I am just older). The recoil cover was constantly coming loose with the screws going AWOL. At some point the dealer replaced one with a sheet metal screw completely boogering up the boss in the block. After that I sworn I would never own another plastic saw. Fast Forward just shy of thirty years, I join AS and nostalgia got me. I now own two PM6As and a SP40 (almost twin of the PM 510) - all inoperative. Maybe this thread will inspire me to get them going. Or maybe not. Ron

The first chainsaws I was permitted to run as a teenager were PowerMac 6As. My brother and I did a lot of trimming and thinning with several of "the world's lightest" chainsaws. It sure beat pole saw duty. Eight or so years later I brought my first saw, a PM 510. It ran like crazy but was hard to start. Being ignorant of any limitation except available bar length, I ran the longest bar that would fit (I believe it came with a 14"; after it eventually spit the sprocket and I replaced it with a 16" IIRCC). I cut everything with that little 1/4" pitch saw; including falling a 24" white oak that barber chaired (I was an ignorant young fool back then - now I am just older). The recoil cover was constantly coming loose with the screws going AWOL. At some point the dealer replaced one with a sheet metal screw completely boogering up the boss in the block. After that I sworn I would never own another plastic saw. Fast Forward just shy of thirty years, I join AS and nostalgia got me. I now own two PM6As and a SP40 (almost twin of the PM 510) - all inoperative. Maybe this thread will inspire me to get them going. Or maybe not. Ron

Once everyone gets the mini hate off their Chest this thread will become a lot more productive. It's a sticky now, it doesn't go away:D

mini mac

I never have hated them just the guy that gave them to me did.
So I made them run and cut all of my firewood for season one with them.
It was a fun time.:rock:

They are certainly among my least favorite saws to work on, but are easily obtained at a very low price. There's not much to them and usually just a carb rebuild and new fuel lines to get one going again. Although they're not tops on my list, I won't turn my nose up at one either. I am an equal opportunity saw whore.

There are even a few old guys around here who ASK for them! Seems they used to be sold by the truckload in these parts and lots of the old timers had one or two.

Good on you for starting a thread about the little yellow devils!

Edit: New thread rep headed your way!

Last edited:
My Son took a mini apart in his bedroom when he was 3 yrs old. Of course he couldn't put it back together. I had given it to him to play with, pulled the sparkplug and chain of course. About 5 yrs later, we rebuilt that saw and got it running. I have a 510 that I kinda like for cutting brush, but it is sucking oil into the crankcase I think, cause it really smokes a lot. Is the chain lube pump run by vacuum?
DSCN1170_zps46476fe0.jpg

Scott

You waited untill I got rid of all my 2014 and 3200 types to start this sticky, didn't you.

I have one E.B. tophandle left thanks to Craigslist..............................................................................................:clap:

My Son took a mini apart in his bedroom when he was 3 yrs old. Of course he couldn't put it back together. I had given it to him to play with, pulled the sparkplug and chain of course. About 5 yrs later, we rebuilt that saw and got it running. I have a 510 that I kinda like for cutting brush, but it is sucking oil into the crankcase I think, cause it really smokes a lot. Is the chain lube pump run by vacuum?
DSCN1170_zps46476fe0.jpg

Scott

Yes the pump works on vacuum. If the seal for the pump itself is bad you usually get a vacuum leak and the saw idles high and runs like crap. It may be pulling oil into the crank case and masking the air leak somewhere. If you run the saw dry of bar oil does it still run ok and/or not smoke as much?

You waited untill I got rid of all my 2014 and 3200 types to start this sticky, didn't you.

I have one E.B. tophandle left thanks to Craigslist..............................................................................................:clap:

Im sure you will come across some more 3200 series, they are easier to deal with then the mini's:msp_wink:

Cool little saws! I don't have a MiniMac yet, but I will eventually. I bought my SiverEagle SE2012 just on a lark because it matched my SE3420:
230311d1332463917-img_5515-800-jpg

But it turned out to be a really nice little saw. It needed a new primer and fuel lines and the oil pump repaired, so I had it all apart and found it was very strong, easy to work on and the plastic parts all were well made and fit properly. I don't regard this as a plastic saw, in spite of the fact that the housing and handles are plastic. The basic structure is a horizontal engine with the bar mounts attached to the engine bottom cap, as is the MiniMac. On the 3200 series they rotated the carb up to the top, and you can sort of see how from this image I cribbed from an eBay listing:
250578d1346268464-se2000jug-jpg

Nice quad ports too huh? Not junk at all! And when you pull the recoil it does not feel cheap either.

After a muffler mod, which was easy to do, and a new sharp chain (Oregon 91PX), I was just astounded at how well a 32cc saw cut. I had planned to replace the 12" bar with a 14" (and I still may), but the 12" was really handy to use for limbing and such. After the 2011 Halloween storm I had a lot of oak blowdowns with upper branches just sticking out. I ran multiple tanks through cutting off rounds up to the full bar length - I could lean on it and darn that thing just kept pulling. So much so that I bought a NOS spike for it, the first of my saws to have one (which is why I may get a 14" bar for it now):
236933d1336176056-img_5529-800-jpg

Now about those multiple tanks - after that I could not feel my hand on either arm for an hour or two. Someone told me the A/V versions are too soft and sloppy but I am still tempted to try one sometime, although one of the things I like about these saws is the incredible simplicity of the design.

Hmm - sounds like the kids are finally waking up, better go......

Last edited:
Almost 20 years old and worked to death here is my 3516AV killing a tree after hurricane sandy. Beat this saw to death and besides a lil maintenance and some new fuel lines nothing has stopped it. 35cc's and a 16" b/c, who would have thought:D
2z70s5u.jpg

Latest posts

Back