Mcculloch Super Pro 125c Complete rebuild.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so the second SP125 that i got yesterday isnt running even though it has strong spark so i figured that the carb isnt pulling fuel since it was drained for shipment. I put a little mix in the carb and when i went to crank it over, the starter, which has been a little finicky lately, got stuck with the cord about halfway out.

Well crap,

So i took the starter off and took it apart and cleaned some of the gunk out of it and tried to rewind the spring and fit it back in there but its being a stone cold B%*ch! I must have messed with it for an hour out in the garage tonight. I got the spring wound up and in the housing a few times, but every time i got to pop it back in there the coils end up coming out of their stack and going one on top of another.

I looked in my service manual and it doesnt seem to address how to wind these things up.

I know that there has to be a simpler easier technique, and ive tried a few, but still have had no luck.

Anybody willing to lend some advice or take a youtube video showing me how easy it is?

I hate recoil springs, but I wind them up and put a set of needle nose vice grips on them to set them in place. Make sure it's exactly where its supposed to be before you unsnap them. And its still probably gonna take a few tries.

I prefer to wind them into the housing. Seat the outside end, then slowly rotate the housing as you seat the spring a little bit at a time, working in towards the center. Work your way around the housing, seating the spring and holding it in with your thumbs. Go slow. When you're done, the spring will be seated, and your thumbs will be sore. Wear eye protection. You'll get a "sproing!" or two before you do it right. If it gets too frustrating, walk away from it for a spell. I do....

I prefer to wind them into the housing. Seat the outside end, then slowly rotate the housing as you seat the spring a little bit at a time, working in towards the center. Work your way around the housing, seating the spring and holding it in with your thumbs. Go slow. When you're done, the spring will be seated, and your thumbs will be sore. Wear eye protection. You'll get a "sproing!" or two before you do it right. If it gets too frustrating, walk away from it for a spell. I do....

Yep, i didnt get frustrated to the point that i had to walk away tonight, but i did reach a point where i realized that i wasnt going to blindly stumble upon a breakthrough or progress so i just set it down and walked away.

Your method sounds like a winner and i will try that when i come back to it tomorrow. My other problem, is that it seems like theres some kind of friction in there between the ratched that grabs the starter pawls and the dish for the starter.... like there should be a washer or something in there to stabilize it and reduce friction but there isnt.

Anyhow, im too tired to go through the IPL to get the right terms and figure it out now, going to bed, but I'll be sure to post the pics tomorrow when the spring comes loose and finds one of my eyeballs. :msp_tongue:

Nice videos!

do you have a race chain on that thing or is that video all saw?

All saw. That video was round file Carlton skip. Don't own a race chain. I'm learning about square grind for it, though. Much faster than round.

Ok, so the second SP125 that i got yesterday isnt running even though it has strong spark so i figured that the carb isnt pulling fuel since it was drained for shipment. I put a little mix in the carb and when i went to crank it over, the starter, which has been a little finicky lately, got stuck with the cord about halfway out.

Well crap,

So i took the starter off and took it apart and cleaned some of the gunk out of it and tried to rewind the spring and fit it back in there but its being a stone cold B%*ch! I must have messed with it for an hour out in the garage tonight. I got the spring wound up and in the housing a few times, but every time i got to pop it back in there the coils end up coming out of their stack and going one on top of another.

I looked in my service manual and it doesnt seem to address how to wind these things up.

I know that there has to be a simpler easier technique, and ive tried a few, but still have had no luck.

Anybody willing to lend some advice or take a youtube video showing me how easy it is?

I saw this a while ago and wondered if it worked like advertised.

[video=youtube;bRdQ-Di4sts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bRdQ-Di4sts[/video]

I saw this a while ago and wondered if it worked like advertised.

[video=youtube;bRdQ-Di4sts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bRdQ-Di4sts[/video]

I remember years ago my first recoil spring took me well over an hour to rewind,now usually about a minute.That tool looks really neat,the only thing that I do not like about it(with out using it) is that I did not think of it.Looks like a great tool.

I remember years ago my first recoil spring took me well over an hour to rewind,now usually about a minute.That tool looks really neat,the only thing that I do not like about it(with out using it) is that I did not think of it.Looks like a great tool.

That sure beats my board with the three finishing nails!
They got 'em on eBay right now!

Sure do, Scott: LINK

... and the feedback he's gotten from buyers is pretty positive.

That thing does look really cool but im not sure that i want to swing the expense for something that i might only actually use twice.

Also, once i get the a spring figured out, any ideas on how to actually get the starter to operate smoothly and fluidly without getting hung up or making horrendous vibrating noises?

Did you even watch the video in the "link"?

I think something got messed up or i quoted the wrong post or something, i was asking for a photo of the carpenter nails in the board and how that interacted with the starter housing.

That thing does look really cool but im not sure that i want to swing the expense for something that i might only actually use twice.

Also, once i get the a spring figured out, any ideas on how to actually get the starter to operate smoothly and fluidly without getting hung up or making horrendous vibrating noises?

Before re-assembly, clean the spring REALLY well. Liquid Wrench makes a dry lube that leaves a white powder residue after the alcohol evaporates; spray the spring liberally after its back in place. Make sure you shake the can really well. Or, if you prefer, instead of using the LW product you can scrape some pencil lead on the spring.

Not sure what's causing a vibration. I usually put a little grease in with the spring and, once assembled, pull the rope out and spray Tri-Flow on it as it goes back in. Hasn't failed me yet anyhow.

Back