Mcculloch Super Pro 125c Complete rebuild.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so heres the unmolested unmodified 125 that i got running yesterday. Had to put the painted 125c starter on it since thats the only one that worked. But anyhow, here she is running.

ok, arboristsite is messed up somehow and wont imbed the actual video. Just click on the picture and follow it to my photobucket site where you can watch the video. I dont know whats going on with it tonight. Late at night both arboristsite and photobucket get messed up.

Last edited:
Also, I thought i had everything painted and pretty last night and them something went totally haywire and wrong.

I painted everything with a self etching primer and let it sit for a few days. They i added two coats of yellow, then two coats of clearcoat. Somehow after i added the clearcoat the whole thing shrinked and wrinkled up all the way down to the magnesium.

0436E251-4D07-481F-A998-29E94D5781C9-5563-0000090DCCA3D246.jpg

208AA4D7-B709-4E51-A56E-56EEA9F6959F-5563-0000090DD376FA41.jpg

5F728BEE-A898-433F-A380-6F895B7DC184-5563-0000090DD917200C.jpg

The black and a couple of other yellow parts came out perfect however. Any ideas of whats going on there?

Never put lacquer over enamel.Enamel has a lot longer cure time and outgasses. Time to strip.

Too bad, but I learned the same way about 40 years ago. Use clear Polyurethane instead of lacquer. Put it on as the last two coats while the last enamel color coat is still tacky.

Since you have to do it again anyway, why not remove the knob this time?

Putting your fingers and hand near a running chainsaw bar is a bad idea, the thing could go lean and start to spin the chain before you ever figured out your fingers are gone.... and pull about 6" of starter rope out before you kill the saw. That big cer-chunk you hear as it dies is the starter engaging the pawls and stressing the starter and cord.

Saw does sound pretty good when it's not rattling. Move the rubber tubing pieces to the bottom of the front handle, they prevent it from damage when you set in down and use a piece of cardboard or something to set it on... it'll eat the paint without some protection. Setting the saw directly on concrete is what causes white death.... of course over a period of time. I put all my saws on something, just not the concrete.

Also, I thought i had everything painted and pretty last night and them something went totally haywire and wrong.

I painted everything with a self etching primer and let it sit for a few days. They i added two coats of yellow, then two coats of clearcoat. Somehow after i added the clearcoat the whole thing shrinked and wrinkled up all the way down to the magnesium.

0436E251-4D07-481F-A998-29E94D5781C9-5563-0000090DCCA3D246.jpg

208AA4D7-B709-4E51-A56E-56EEA9F6959F-5563-0000090DD376FA41.jpg

5F728BEE-A898-433F-A380-6F895B7DC184-5563-0000090DD917200C.jpg

The black and a couple of other yellow parts came out perfect however. Any ideas of whats going on there?

It will buff.

Putting your fingers and hand near a running chainsaw bar is a bad idea, the thing could go lean and start to spin the chain before you ever figured out your fingers are gone.... and pull about 6" of starter rope out before you kill the saw. That big cer-chunk you hear as it dies is the starter engaging the pawls and stressing the starter and cord.

Saw does sound pretty good when it's not rattling. Move the rubber tubing pieces to the bottom of the front handle, they prevent it from damage when you set in down and use a piece of cardboard or something to set it on... it'll eat the paint without some protection. Setting the saw directly on concrete is what causes white death.... of course over a period of time. I put all my saws on something, just not the concrete.

Calculated risk. ;)

I had the same problem w/ Krylon clear.
Nothing like putting hours into sanding, primeing, and putting the color on and it turns out GREAT then to have to start all over because conflicting chemicals.:bang:

What happened this thread? Was there an explosion I didn't hear about?

What happened this thread? Was there an explosion I didn't hear about?

Yes there was an explosion of sorts that knocked everyone's socks off. Fortunately it was a "figurative" explosion, so those of us that prefer sandals were also able to claim being found sockless.

ok, so i took a break from the 125c for a little bit tonight.

Emma, my German Shepard/Belgian Malinois mix who is normally very trustworthy and well behaved snaked my brand spanking new flywheel housing sawdust guard from the coffee table and chewed up all the plastic. $18 and it never even saw a saw before it got munched. :bang:

Anyhow, the 125c is probably going out sometime this week to have new rings and seals put in it by a respected member on here.

In the meantime, somebody stole two UPS packages off my front porch today... One with Stihl 029 super parts in it from Baileys and one with a mobile for my baby due in december. I could get over the saw parts, but somebodies going to get caught for the baby package theft this week and go to jail. Spent a few hours tonight getting that set up.

And also!!!

I messed with some of the other saws in the McCulloch collection that came with the 125c and actually got a few running. I got this CP55 running really nice with just a very small amount of work.

3763C409-1E20-408A-952B-661B01CCDD3F-620-00000063E6A6F505.jpg

and also this other thing. (see below) No clue what it is, and i need to turn up the low idle screw a little since it wants to stall if I dont give it about 1/8 throttle, and it also smokes like a MF'er.... Like, makes the garage look like its on fire from the outside smokes!

Do i need to put new rings in it? What does a massively smoking old saw mean?

DA16FC3B-BC65-48F7-947C-18F0C09156D3-620-00000063ED7AB1C2.jpg

And finally, I messed with a D30 and cleaned out the tank and tested it for spark (good spark) and gave it a few pulls to check the compression (feels good) and im almost certain that i can make that one run as well with very little work. It does need a new fuel line from the outside of the tank to the carb, and the oiler button on the side of the oil tank is rusted up so that should be looked at too. Didnt bother to get pictures of this one but it looks to be in very good shape with not alot of use. I may snap some pics tomorrow.

Anyhow, all in all it was a good day.

Emma, my German Shepard/Belgian Malinois mix who is normally very trustworthy and well behaved snaked my brand spanking new flywheel housing sawdust guard from the coffee table and chewed up all the plastic. $18 and it never even saw a saw before it got munched. :bang:
In the meantime, somebody stole two UPS packages off my front porch today... One with Stihl 029 super parts in it from Baileys and one with a mobile for my baby due in december. I could get over the saw parts, but somebodies going to get caught for the baby package theft this week and go to jail. Spent a few hours tonight getting that set up.

We've had a lab/weimeriener (sp?) half grown pup, & later a black lab pup, and they were the most destructive dogs known to mankind. We lost count of the number of items those two chewed-up.

Sorry to read about the thefts. I had a Jonsereds 70E from an AS member delivered yesterday afternoon, fortunately I was home to receive it. I have come home to find packages left on my front porch. The shrubs along our porch hide most packages from being seen from the street, but a couple of times the drivers left packages standing where they could easily be seen from the street. Around here that's asking to have them stolen. One of those packages contained a nice 12 string guitar in a very decent case (my wife is the musician).

We've had a lab/weimeriener (sp?) half grown pup, & later a black lab pup, and they were the most destructive dogs known to mankind. We lost count of the number of items those two chewed-up.

Sorry to read about the thefts. I had a Jonsereds 70E from an AS member delivered yesterday afternoon, fortunately I was home to receive it. I have come home to find packages left on my front porch. The shrubs along our porch hide most packages from being seen from the street, but a couple of times the drivers left packages standing where they could easily be seen from the street. Around here that's asking to have them stolen. One of those packages contained a nice 12 string guitar in a very decent case (my wife is the musician).

Roger McGuinn had a 12 string guitar, it was like nothing I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Roger McGuinn had a 12 string guitar, it was like nothing I've ever heard.

His electric 12s is a Rickenbacker, I'm not sure which model, Ric offers several models of elec 12s. I think early in his career his acoustic 12s was (is?) a Guild.

My wife loves her 12s guitars. Although she much prefers acoustic guitar, she's been GASing (Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome is the musician equivalent of CAD) for an electric Ric 12s.

ok, so i took a break from the 125c for a little bit tonight.

Anyhow, the 125c is probably going out sometime this week to have new rings and seals put in it by a respected member on here.

And also!!!

I messed with some of the other saws in the McCulloch collection that came with the 125c and actually got a few running. I got this CP55 running really nice with just a very small amount of work.

3763C409-1E20-408A-952B-661B01CCDD3F-620-00000063E6A6F505.jpg

and also this other thing. (see below) No clue what it is, and i need to turn up the low idle screw a little since it wants to stall if I dont give it about 1/8 throttle, and it also smokes like a MF'er.... Like, makes the garage look like its on fire from the outside smokes!

Do i need to put new rings in it? What does a massively smoking old saw mean?

DA16FC3B-BC65-48F7-947C-18F0C09156D3-620-00000063ED7AB1C2.jpg

And finally, I messed with a D30 and cleaned out the tank and tested it for spark (good spark) and gave it a few pulls to check the compression (feels good) and im almost certain that i can make that one run as well with very little work. It does need a new fuel line from the outside of the tank to the carb, and the oiler button on the side of the oil tank is rusted up so that should be looked at too. Didnt bother to get pictures of this one but it looks to be in very good shape with not alot of use. I may snap some pics tomorrow.

Anyhow, all in all it was a good day.

Maybe your UPS man is an AS member and reads this thread.....poor bastard didnt have the heart to drop off anymore boxes......just a theory....could be wrong....but .....

Latest posts

Back