Mcculloch Super Pro 125c Complete rebuild.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SP125C oil tank leak

Thanks Lee for your input. I was wondering about that too in regards to the bolts being too long and busting through the inside of the tank. I'll measure the bolts and see if my parts list shows any difference for length. Then I'll decide which way I want to go with repairs or replacement of the tank.
Will

After a closer look inside my oil tank, I found the lower boss broken off, thus causing the oil to leak out. Apparently someone in the past turned the front mount bolt in too tight. Couldn't find the broken piece so it's been a while since that happened. The upper one is still solid.
Has anyone ever tried to seal the inside with epoxy? I'm thinking of trying it once I get it cleaned, if that's possible.
Will

arrow13, I would not repair that tank. There is alot
of strain on that front mount. Regardless of what Mark
says, It's a different ball game than a 740. 740's don't
have that anti vib mounted to the side.
A good tank is not that hard to find. Contack axeman on
ebay. I bet he has them.

Lee

SP125C Oil Tank leak fix

ebay. I bet he has them.

Lee

Thanks guys for more input. I'm going to look for another tank. Once you mentioned alot of strain, I'll stick on the side of caution. When I get this tank off, I'll take a real close look at the damaged area. It's in my nature to look at the details. This old saw appears to have been well used here in western WA and the top of the handle is bent back slightly. Perhaps it was dropped or fell and possibly caused the oil leak too. I've purchased from axeman before. I'll check with him for a tank.
On another note, I just pulled the clutch off and the bearings were shot. Time for a new one as the rest of it look pretty worn and sloppy.
Will

SP125 C Oil Tank

ebay. I bet he has them.

Lee

Lee, you were right. I got a nice tank with oiler and painted too. Axeman gave me the choice of with or without the oiler. Also got a nice clutch from him too.
I've got to get a fin welded on my saw before I can start getting it back together. Thanks again.
Will

Lee, you were right. I got a nice tank with oiler and painted too. Axeman gave me the choice of with or without the oiler. Also got a nice clutch from him too.
I've got to get a fin welded on my saw before I can start getting it back together. Thanks again.
Will

Your welcome.
Is it just one fin on the cylinder.
If so i wouldn't worry about it.
It will be just fine without it.

Lee

Your welcome.
Is it just one fin on the cylinder.
If so i wouldn't worry about it.
It will be just fine without it.

Lee

It's the one fin that holds the heat/air shroud. When I tore this saw down, the top fin had bolts going through it with nuts as spacers to hold that top fin up for the shroud and top vibration mount to bolt to. The bolts had nuts on the bottom between lower fins. Hard to get a wrench on them but I got it. The set up worked apparently. Just thinking it would tidy up the saw a bit and make working on it a little easier in the future.

That fin or mount i would most definately repair.
Thats the one that holds the whole top av mount.
It's aluminum so if it's good and clean you should
be able weld it or have it welded.

Lee

Best and strongest repair is forget the broken fin and fit a Mac 101B cylinder shroud as many have already done just need to drill and mount the av mount to the shroud.

McBob.

That fin or mount i would most definately repair.
Thats the one that holds the whole top av mount.
It's aluminum so if it's good and clean you should
be able weld it or have it welded.

Lee

I've got a friend who's a very good welder for this. It's pretty clean metal. Thanks for clarifying the type of metal. I was thinking there was more magnesium in it vs. aluminum. That should make the repair easier.
Will

Top fin repair

Best and strongest repair is forget the broken fin and fit a Mac 101B cylinder shroud as many have already done just need to drill and mount the av mount to the shroud.

McBob.

I didn't know anything about that type of repair. I'll look into it. Do you know if anyone has taken any photos in past posts that I could look at?
Will

Fin repair

Just get the welder to be careful heating the top of the cylinder i have an SP125 here thats been welded and it concerns me

OK, will do. Thanks ozflea for the additional advice.
Is there a prefered type of aluminum rod or wire for this type of work?

Wow what a way to spend a few hours going through this whole thread. A soap opera that started out innocently enough then came some drama and the finale being a quiet end with all going their own way. And I just came on to see what I could learn about fixing a Mac 125c too. :laugh:

Wow what a way to spend a few hours going through this whole thread. A soap opera that started out innocently enough then came some drama and the finale being a quiet end with all going their own way. And I just came on to see what I could learn about fixing a Mac 125c too. :laugh:

Did you find what you were looking for?

Back