McCullough super pro 81

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
New to me saw. Has spark and compression. Won't start. I put fuel down the intake and nothing. It's just a wall hanger but I want to hear it run!

Attachments

• IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
Nice, congrats on the Mac.

When I picked up my PM610, it sure felt like it had compression too; however someone had straight gassed it in the past and the rings were stuck. Spark, fuel, and nothing. The view through the exhaust port told all.

I'm sure it's fixable. That will be a great saw when you get it running! Keep us posted.

Clay

How much compression? They typically won't run below 110 PSI, make sure the compression release is able to close after a pop.

Very nice saws indeed and will hang with many modern high speed units, the 82 cc McCulloch saws have a lot of guts.

View attachment 605951

Mark
Well I can hardly pull it over with the comp relief off. I'll put a tester on it later. Can you still get parts for these old girls?

All of the 10 Series clutch covers are interchangeable. The only exception is the long clutch cover on the PM805/800/8200 type saws with the oversize mufflers, those have and extra "bump" in them to accommodate the muffler.

These will all interchange

20170707_193205.jpg

The long cover for the PM models

DSC07160.JPG

The long cover for the PM805/800/8200 etc.

IMG_1287.JPG

Some have a notch for the DSP / compression release

DSC07008.JPG

Mark

If you put enough fuel straight down the carburetor or through the plug hole it should at least pop even with a torn boot, don't do it too much since it will run out of fuel and run lean at the end of every trial.

Mark
I put fuel in with a catheter down the carb. Not even a pop. Checked for spark. It's there. Pulled again nothing, more fuel down the carb, nothin. I'm leaning torwads a sheared flywheel key.

I put fuel in with a catheter down the carb. Not even a pop. Checked for spark. It's there. Pulled again nothing, more fuel down the carb, nothin. I'm leaning torwads a sheared flywheel key.
Have you tried a different plug?
I've had plugs that produced spark, yet wouldn't let the saw run because the porcelain was cracked.

bobdag, I know less than most of the Macmen but I have experienced new plugs that will spark in open air but apparently don't under compression. I would try another plug. If you get the same results then your timing may be off. Or you don't have the priming down to the science. There has been many times I couldn't get a pop and I could not tell if I flooded it or didn't give it enough fuel. Usually before I fling the saw across the yard, I just do something else for a while and then come back and try again - most times that solves the too much too little fuel dilemma. Ron

Latest posts

Back