McCullough super pro 81

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so two questions. What's the point gap supposed to be and what's the magneto clearance? I've used a business card to set the mag on stihls. Is it about the same on this one? I'm trying to give it a good cleaning while I'm working on it. One piece at a time. Here's some more pics of it also.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
By the book, the point gap is 0.020" and the coil to flywheel 0.010".

Try to get the points close to that to keep the timing accurate, I generally use a 0.019" feeler gauge. A wider gap will advance the timing and you don't want too much of that on a points saw with good compression; that starter handle it pretty small and hurts while it's being ripped through your fingers.

Mark

I've never seen in any manual that states to use a business card to set clearances.
Manufacturers set specifications for a reason and should be followed if you want the
most out of your equipment or to even run.
Mark is correct on his clearances. Although I set new points at .021 cuz they will close
a thou or two in the first tank of fuel.

I've never seen in any manual that's states to use a business card to set clearances.
Manufacturers set specifications for a reason and should be followed if you want the
most out of your equipment or to even run.
Mark is correct on his clearances. Although I set new points at .021 cuz they will close
a thou or two in the first tank of fuel.
Our stihl dealer in town told me of the business card trick.

Your Stihl dealer isn't very well educated.

Mine is. And he uses a piece of micro-fiche film folded in half to set the coil to flywheel air gap. I use a business card myself. Never had a detectable performance problem as a result.

Points are obviously a bit more critical.

Does anyone have a parts breakdown of this saw they could send me? I just need something that shows the exploded view. I can't find one on bing or google.

Latest posts

Back