Media Cat Chain Letter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, Just a quick question about the installation of the of the mediacat disc. Having issues installing on a stand alone computer for the first time.

When attempting to install, the program asks for the application and category paths which do not exist on my computer as this will be the first install. Please see text below relating to this which came from the corresponding install screen;

This client installation is used to access the mediaCAT® installed on your network server. If mediaCAT® has not yet been installed on the network server, cancel this installation and first install mediaCAT® on the network server.
In order to proceed with this installation, you must know the path on the server where mediaCAT® has been installed, and where the catalogues have been copied. These two paths must be entered in the respective fields underneath called "Applicazione" e "Cataloghi". These paths on the server must have access rights from this computer.
You can enter the paths manually or use the key "..." to call up Windows Explorer, from which you can select the paths of the folders on the server. Click on the key "OK" after entering the paths of the folders on the server, and this installation will create a link on the desktop and all the settings necessary for opening and working with mediaCAT® and the catalogues installed on the server.

Hope you can help. Cheers, Matt.

Hey guys, I went to make some copies to send to some folks, and my disc is "bad". Can I get a good 2012 copy from one of you guys? I'll of course send out several here to pay it forward,
Thanks!!

Hi All, Just a quick question about the installation of the of the mediacat disc. Having issues installing on a stand alone computer for the first time.

Have you figured out your problem yet? (I haven't been getting thread notifications lately and just saw these new posts today.)

It sounds like your version is prompting for a network install which I personally haven't seen before, though it would certainly be logical for such an approach to exist.
Maybe it's just one of two or three other installation options on the disc you received?

A local installation with the catalog being on your local drive is obviously what you want and what is most common. I did a little installation tutorial a few pages back, but it doesn't sound like it would apply to your particular situation.

Thanks for your post. No luck yet.
Have gone through your detailed installation notes to see if I missed anything.
Maybe I'll come across an older version that once installed will let me install this later version. Couldn't work out any other ways after quite a bit of tinkering.
Cheers.

What version is kicking around nowadays? I got a copy from this thread a couple years ago and wonder if I should upgrade...?

The last non-expiring version is 2012 v3.3. There is a 5.x version floating around that will work on a computer with the date rolled back. Everything since has either been on the PartSmart platform or is the new proprietary Stihl client/server arrangement.

I went looking for my original cd and can’t find it. Does anybody know how to get the program on a fresh disk so I can send it on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand there are some sources of online copies, but getting the contents to disc for redistribution can be a bit tricky. Also sorta defeats the purpose and underlying spirit of the thread. Best bet is to get a disc from someone still needing to fulfill their obligation.

But I'll leave it to you younger bucks if you want.

Unfortunately the copies have evolved since the first post which indicates a computer date rollback is required. May discourage the 'immediate gratification' millennial crowd. LOL Plus the thread is 77 pages long now and not many folks are gonna read too far before either getting it or blowing it off.

I imagine a "New MediaCAT Chain Letter" thread detailing the non-expiring aspect would gain some traction in fairly short order. There's also the later v5.x out there floating around, though it does still require the date rollback.

I have the non expiring version 3.3, it’s getting pretty outdated now unfortunately. I need to become a Stihl dealer so I can get access again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back