ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Media Cat Chain Letter

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Fish, Apr 5, 2009.

1. TheTone

TheTone ArboristSite Guru

I have Version 3.33 mediaCAT SCS 01-2012 (USA). It was easy to install and did not require any fooling with the computer date.

2. jackjcc

jackjcc Addicted to ArboristSite

I have the non expiring version 3.3, it’s getting pretty outdated now unfortunately. I need to become a Stihl dealer so I can get access again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

The mediacat is gone.
    They had a newer version in 2013, but no one could break the date expiration.
    Now Stihl uses Partsmart...

4. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

2012 is as good as you'll get.

5. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

I had my hands on the 2013 version, sent it to a comp guru, he sent it back. And after the date expired, even turning back my computer didn't work.

6. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

2014 or so, it went to Partsmart....

7. dp0350

dp0350 ArboristSite Lurker

I received and sent out a few copies of the old one required date roll-back. If someone wouldn’t mind sending out the 2012 version that doesn’t need date roll-back, I would greatly appreciate it.

8. PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods Don't forget about the alligators...

That later v5 version ran until Jan. 2015. A date rollback still works on my first 2013 version. I thought it was pretty klunky myself. Anything I need that's not on the last v3.33 disc I can usually get from the "Beg" thread pretty quick. The real beauty of MediaCAT is the search and parts cross-ref feature anyway...., usually pertaining to the older common stuff vs. the newer products.

What we really need is someone with way too much spare time and a library of the old hard copy manuals and tech notes to digitize and convert em to PDF. Now that stuff is golden. I've done quite a bit of 1111 series digitizing and started on the 1115 stuff. Very time consuming. Shame they don't have any of that older material in MediaCAT (or any of the digital resources for that matter).

9. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

Ray Benson is "that" guy!!!

10. PogoInTheWoods

Tru dat. He has all of my 1111 and 1115 series stuff. I've seen it pop up here and there. Glad to see it being circulated.

11. TheTone

PM me your mailing address.

PogoInTheWoods likes this.
  12. dp0350

PM sent. Thanks so much!

13. dp0350

TheTone was nice enough to send me a copy. I would be glad to send a few out if some folks still need a copy of v3.33

PogoInTheWoods likes this.
  14. balan

balan ArboristSite Lurker

I would accept a copy if possible. Anything to help as I start getting into repairing some chainsaws would be much appreciated.

15. dp0350

PM me your address and I will send one out.

16. TheTone

The .iso file (like a disc image) for 2012 MediaCAT is 1 GB. If someone has an email service where they can send a file of this size, then postage, packaging, and copying could be eliminated for those recipients who are somewhat computer savvy. Supposedly, you can burn a DVD from an iso file with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. Free burning software is also available to download. The person receiving the iso file could then make his own disc. This would make it more like the Beg for Manuals thread, but the file would not actually be posted on the web. Apologies in advance if this idea has already been proposed and rejected for some reason.

17. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

There have been several attempts on here to make this into something e-mail-able, and I think a couple had worked, but somehow it didn't last. I am fairly computer illiterate, and am only to handle a cd/dvd that you stick in, and the computer takes it from there....
    But if someone has a better way, hey, I am all for it.

It is a shame, I like the Mediacat setup a lot better than Partsmart..

18. balan

balan ArboristSite Lurker

PM sent. Thank you!

19. PogoInTheWoods

I've made digital copies available for a couple folks and it's pretty simple either by disc image or an extracted working copy. The .iso is the easy way to go depending on the recipient's disc management skill level. An extracted disc copy containing the setup.exe and all the necessary contents made from an existing installation can also be digitally transferred via Google Drive or other such sharing facilities, but certain directories need to be located in certain places in a new installation for it to work right. Not necessarily the best way for then turning around and making a usable self installing copy for someone else. By far the simplest and most reliable way is a direct disc copy sent through the mail. Should only cost 60 to 90 cents if you use a small 'calendar' envelope without the little brass hasp thingie. Wrap the disc in half a paper towel for cushion and write 'Non-Machinable' on the front so it doesn't go through the severe bending a typical letter would. I've sent out a ton of these and never had one damaged in transit doing it that way. The only reason I tried the digital file transfers was to get copies to locations (Europe and Australia) where the mailing cost seemed to be keeping others from honoring the requests. In turn there are now viable sources there to honor requests from those locations. Seemed worthwhile at the time but I haven't seen any new requests from either location since. LOL

TheTone likes this.
  20. dp0350

It’s absolutely possible, that’s how just about every program is packaged on torrent sites. I was going to put the ISO on one of the Mega Upload type sites and send the link around. However, being comfortable with mounting an image (ISO) to include installing the mounting software (Windows 8 and newer mounts ISOs w/o additional software) may be a barrier for some. Once mounted, the steps are identical to inserting a DVD into the physical drive. Basically on Windows 8 and 10 all you would need to do is download the ISO file from a link and double click it.

TheTone likes this.