Melted hole Oil tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freshwater

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The saw was run with a loose muffler. I would like to save the saw. I see housing for this saw $75 eBay, to much for me so I'm going to try to patch it up

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_174340.jpg
    IMG_20210514_174340.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20210514_174320.jpg
    IMG_20210514_174320.jpg
    820.6 KB · Views: 49
I ground off all the burnt plastic, made a metal patch and flushed the oil tank

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_174917_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20210514_174917_burst_01.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 32
What might work to stick the metal patch to the plastic oil tank. I have High heat RTV and JB Weld on hand

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_175009.jpg
    IMG_20210514_175009.jpg
    847 KB · Views: 19
Wow very tricky fix you are trying. I would use thin brass, form it to the tank giving you plenty of attachment brass and attach it using closed end rivets.
Before riveting I would pre-drill the holes, put a bead of permabond epoxy around brass, then rivet it in.
4 alignment marks on the brass to tank would also help you align it easier and faster for riveting.

I do like the idea of pop rivets to hold the patch in place but not having any luck finding closed end rivets. I work at a sheet metal shop every kind of pop rivets except closed end. I also have sheet copper but no brass.

Its an echo, the tanks are incorporated into the body of the saw. I did see used casings on eBay $75 . Don't think its worth putting that much money into this saw

Regular JB melts at 600°F. Their Extreme heat product is good up to 1000° (they write 2400° on the package, but that's instantaneous heat, not a continuous operating temp).

The extreme heat stuff might be good enough for this application. Keep the muffler tight after the repair and it shouldn't get that hot.

I would get some small stainless steel mesh. Cut out a rectangle or square for the size you need. Get a cheap Amazon or Harbor Freight plastic welder iron kit. Use the iron to gently melt the mesh into the area over/around the hole. Make sure it melts about halfway down into the tank plastic. Now you have base for a fuel resistant epoxy to grab on to and hold. Apply several layers, (letting them dry between layers), to build up to match the rest of body. Let fully cure/dry for a day or two then sand/shape to your liking.

Check Youtube for vids on how this principle works. I have used this method on ATV/dirt bike plastic fenders and such along with the stainless steel staple method.

FW
The more I think I about this the more I am going to say it
Forget the ideas posted here and either throw it away or get a new OEM to replace it
You are messing with fire patching a plastic hole, which contains oil, positioned underneath a heat source that gets hot enough to cook food on.

Back