Melted hole Oil tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would get some small stainless steel mesh. Cut out a rectangle or square for the size you need. Get a cheap Amazon or Harbor Freight plastic welder iron kit. Use the iron to gently melt the mesh into the area over/around the hole. Make sure it melts about halfway down into the tank plastic. Now you have base for a fuel resistant epoxy to grab on to and hold. Apply several layers, (letting them dry between layers), to build up to match the rest of body. Let fully cure/dry for a day or two then sand/shape to your liking.

Check Youtube for vids on how this principle works. I have used this method on ATV/dirt bike plastic fenders and such along with the stainless steel staple method.
Youtube has some good videos on this. The plastic welder is very effective. If you have a little propane torch, just buy some poly welding strips off Amazon. They appear to work well and are cheap. I found some melt epoxy stuff that I bought years ago and just mended a water tank. I think that it should work for an oil tank as well. It takes a lot of heat to melt it.

Yes I don't have a lot of confidence in this repair. I did order the High Heat JB Weld we will see how it goes. A new housing (body) would be ideal, I might keep an eye out for a cheap parts saw as a donor. With the plastic welding I'm not sure if the poly welding strips will withstand the heat from the muffler

Sealed up with JB Weld. The metal patch stuck well. Going to let it cure for a few days, then I will put some bar oil in the tank and see if it holds

Attachments

• IMG_20210524_161800.jpg
    IMG_20210524_161800.jpg
    881.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210524_165747.jpg
    IMG_20210524_165747.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 7
Back