Melted thermostat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping somebody here can help me out with some guidance... Today I forgot to close the clean-out door at the bottom of my wood boiler and as you can guess the stove got really hot and melted my thermostat and in addition to that the switch next to the thermostat, (looks like a light switch), it allows me to turn the fan off while I'm loading the stove, will not activate my fan anymore. It's about 25 degrees in Wisconsin and I'm at a loss for what to do at this point. I could sure use some help.

Hi all, I'm hoping somebody here can help me out with some guidance... Today I forgot to close the clean-out door at the bottom of my wood boiler and as you can guess the stove got really hot and melted my thermostat and in addition to that the switch next to the thermostat, (looks like a light switch), it allows me to turn the fan off while I'm loading the stove, will not activate my fan anymore. It's about 25 degrees in Wisconsin and I'm at a loss for what to do at this point. I could sure use some help.
I would shut the power off to stove and start removing stove sheet metal. May have burnt insulation off of wires. That was a run away burn. Woodmaster dealer here has seen and repaired boilers like that several times. I had a run away burn, but was lucky and caught it before any damage. Fan flapper stuck open.

It seems to have cooled down now... thanks to the cool temps here, now what?

I don't know what you mean by woodmaster dealer here, does that mean you're a woodmaster dealer?

I would shut the power off to stove and start removing stove sheet metal. May have burnt insulation off of wires. That was a run away burn. Woodmaster dealer here has seen and repaired boilers like that several times. I had a run away burn, but was lucky and caught it before any damage. Fan flapper stuck open.

Check for burnt wires, replace switch, thermostat and possible aquastat. Make sure wires are good before you turn power back on. Avoid electrical shock.

Check for burnt wires, replace switch, thermostat and possible aquastat. Make sure wires are good before you turn power back on. Avoid electrical shock.
Okay it's too dark now to do anything with it for the night so I'll have to dig into it tomorrow. There's a light switch downstairs by my forced air furnace and I don't know if that completely turns off the wood stove or if it turns off both of them... Any thoughts there?

I just turned off the breaker to the outdoor wood boiler.

No, not a dealer. Mine is a Woodmaster burner and spoke with dealer I purchased from when my stove overheated.

Thank you very much for your feedback and quick reply. I do have an extinguisher out there in case it should decide to act up tonight.

Do you have a local dealer for your burner. Give him a call.
I don't and that's part of the problem. Trying to find anybody around here, oddly, specially for Wisconsin, is like pulling teeth. This stove is made in Ogdensburg which is a long ways from my house further complicating things

I don't and that's part of the problem. Trying to find anybody around here, oddly, specially for Wisconsin, is like pulling teeth. This stove is made in Ogdensburg which is a long ways from my house further complicating things
Any heating contractor or electrician should be able to help.

Any heating contractor or electrician should be able to help.
I'll have to try that Monday... The last heating contractor I had out here was pretty Clueless, sadly. Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to have to do something

Just for reference as to your DIY capabilities, have you ever replaced a light switch or similar yourself or done any electrical work?

If not, and you do have the breaker turned off (good thinking), you can at least take off the cover plates and the 2 screws holding the switch into the box. Look at the wires behind the switch. If any signs of melting, you need to replace the wires (if you can DIY electrical) or get someone local to take a look. Sometimes an acquaintance or church or club member will help out in a simple replacement like this.

Just for reference as to your DIY capabilities, have you ever replaced a light switch or similar yourself or done any electrical work?

If not, and you do have the breaker turned off (good thinking), you can at least take off the cover plates and the 2 screws holding the switch into the box. Look at the wires behind the switch. If any signs of melting, you need to replace the wires (if you can DIY electrical) or get someone local to take a look. Sometimes an acquaintance or church or club member will help out in a simple replacement like this.

Haha....No. I hate electricity and it goes way back to when I was a little kid on the farm with a push mower that we had to turn off by disconnecting the spark plug... I got zapped every single time. Of course until I figured out that I could kill the mower on a big clump of grass. Then there's the electric fences... Nope not a fan of electricity in that respect. Thanks for the tip so... I might have to go look at it I can pull the cover off and look for burned wires Etc. With the breaker off I'm not afraid to go after it but now that I think about it I did replace the light fixture in my last home... I've got this

I just turned off the breaker to the outdoor wood boiler.

Well, I got her done yesterday. New aquastat and new Switch. I don't really think the aquastat wasn't necessary replacement but I'd rather err on the side of safety and caution. She was pretty dry. Took a lot of water but we are up and running and making heat :) thank you all for your help, especially you Duce

Well, I got her done yesterday. New aquastat and new Switch. I don't really think the aquastat wasn't necessary replacement but I'd rather err on the side of safety and caution. She was pretty dry. Took a lot of water but we are up and running and making heat :) thank you all for your help, especially you Duce
Good to hear.

Back