`member that yeller Pooh-lan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Y'all `member that yeller Pooh-lan 295 I bought `bout a month or so back? Well, that piece of junk is goin' back. Juiced it up yesterday for the first time. Hard to start, won't idle and the short time it does it misses. Wraps reeeeeaaal slow. Ain't even put it in no wood yet. Ain't goin' to either. I have decided to go for the Stihl ( Like a couple of Y'all suggested). It's a toss up between the 025C or the MS290. The 290 is winnin' my heart so far. Like the chain tensioner on the 025c though. All I gotta say to Electrolux is : "Don't get out of the vaccum cleaner bussiness yet". Now, laugh if y'all want but I love my `ole ProMac 610 that my Mama bought in 82 after Hurricane Alicia tried to prune the trees. I mothballed it cause my Mama bought it and she's gone now. Later guys

sorry u had bad luck bud. i had a pretty good 260,that got stole. if i bought anothe box store saw ,it would go to my mechanic unless it just sounded perfect.
thats the problem i see with these huge orders like lowes probably makes for saws. i dont think the manufacturer
is very careful to get it set to work properly. not that poulan is famous
for their quality control in the first place.
good luck w your stihl .

Farm boss huh

That is a pretty good saw you got there. No comparison to that Poulan. I bought a Poulan wild thing for the wife to learn on, and that thing is anything but wild! Good choice on the 029!

Hi Fun_chopper,

Now you have got me confused because of Huskyman's comments on another post as follows,
"I hear Poulan makes a sweet saw called the Wild Thing
It will outcut an 026, or a 260 or whatever they are called nowadays"

Wally world have the Wild thingaling on sale this week for $49.95.
I thought I would pick up a couple and they would last me the rest of my life as they are much better saws than 026's/MS260's.

:blob2:

Stay towards the 260 subject to Budget , just the strait up 260 It is a pro saw the "pro" model has some extra features that don't add up to much advantage for most people.

the 290 is cheeper home owner grade, more weight less umph, and wont last like a 260. You will spend a bit more but can expect the saw to last a lot longer.

open the muffler up and the 260 will sing even with 3/8 chisle chain.

If you wanted a Husky 346xp would be roughly equal to the 260.

Been there on the pooh-land thing, the government should pass a law to round all those saws up and ship off on a boat, or recycle them into plastic pop bottles and bear cans.

good luck

Timberwolf

My heads Shpinnin' and shpinnin' now

Ok, Now I'm really gettin' a log jam in the head and I ain't even been to the dealer yet. Guess I'll have to decide at that point. One thing for sure is, it won't be made of that Fisher Price plastic on the crankcase. `preciate all the input guys. It is helpin' to narrow down. :D

Originally posted by Lobo
Hi Fun_chopper,

Now you have got me confused because of Huskyman's comments on another post as follows,
"I hear Poulan makes a sweet saw called the Wild Thing
It will outcut an 026, or a 260 or whatever they are called nowadays"

Sorry Lobo that was meant as a joke. If you saw the Wild Thang you would understand

Re: My heads Shpinnin' and shpinnin' now

Originally posted by Sawdust7
Ok, Now I'm really gettin' a log jam in the head and I ain't even been to the dealer yet. Guess I'll have to decide at that point. One thing for sure is, it won't be made of that Fisher Price plastic on the crankcase. `preciate all the input guys. It is helpin' to narrow down. :D

Well if you dont want plastic in the crankcase you dont want an 029. And dont plan on ever working on the powerhead of an 029, MAJOR PIA compared to a real saw.

If you want a magnesium crankcase saw the cheapest one you will find will be a Husky 55/55 Rancher or a 351. In Stihl its an MS260.

Pooh-lan?member that yeller

Hey come on youce guys. I'm new on here and here yall go making fun of my saw brand . I told Yaal I 've been running Po boy uns since about 1990 or so.
Next thing Yaal will probably make fun of my Mini Mac.
Well anyhow there's a pretty clean 026 on ebay 1773812909 I might bid on . It's not a Poulan but it might be ok ? It's at
$255.00. Still has 4days to go so probably will get higher.

Having fun-Kenny

Steve here...
I bought my dad an 025, it's a nice saw for putsy cutting, but if I would do it again, i'd have bought him an 039 or 044 with the same little bar. The smaller saws are fine for soft wood(birch), but I don't think they can get outa there own way in oak.The new high rpm saws have tons of chain speed, and the bigger saw, the faster it's going to cut. The weight difference of 3.5 lbs to me is trivial.The 025 is 3 hp the 039 is 4.3 hp and the 044 is a little over 5. Now the price between them. WELL thats another story.
My two cents
Steve

Apples to oranges

The poulan is a great saw, if you gring all the cutters off and give it to the kids. But any Stihl consumer saw is better than a poulan, I have an 039 (AKA MS390) and its a great saw, its fast, dependable, and strong. I also have a 036 PRO the best saw on the planet in my opinion! So to say any one saw is better than the next is opinion, a Stihl consumer saw will last just as long as anything if you love it and take care of it!

Sawdust 7,

I find that very strange as Poulan are made by Electrolux who also make Husqvarna, Partner and Jonsered, these are suppose to be good saws. ;)

Most of the common lower-end Poulans don't share a design with a "real" E-Lux saw. Remember, the same Ford that owns Jaguar also gave us the Fiesta.

Latest posts

Back