messy pine trees near pool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark spohn

Reaction score
I have 6 (ornamental) pine trees surrounding my pool. They are approx. 25-30 ft. tall. They can be messy at times, because they release pollen, seeds (catkins?) into my pool.
Is there something I can spray onto them, or administer to the root system which would slow or stop seed production (or in the male, catkins)? Any info will help....Mark

Unfortunately, this is what happens when there is a lack of foresight. No offense intended, 75% of the landscapers I know do stupid things like planting pine trees next to a pool deck. Lots of them tend to forget that trees GROW, or are only concerned with how it looks till the check clears.
As for growth regulators, I read several articles about 5-7 years ago and haven't heard squat since. I guess they didn't work as intended. Sorry I haven't heard more, maybe Darin knows what happened with the growth regulators.
Even if you can find something, it will be a temporary solution at best. Time to start re-planning your landscape needs around your pool.

mess problem/not growth problem

After reading my first reply to my posted question...I wanted to clarify that I'm more concerned about slowing seed and/or catkin production than overall growth of the trees. Thank you 'treeclimber165' for your reply. Maybe inhibiting seed production goes along w/slowing overall growth...I don't know (?) More replies are welcome !!!

I know they are coming along quite nicely on plants but they havent done much for the tree industry. I found this site that backs this up a little. I read an article: http://www.goodfruit.com/archive/Jan1-97/feature2.html We are still learning about trees as medicine is where the government spends all its funding. Schools have helped a lot but also lack funding. I dont know a heck of a lot on this topic, but do know what I wrote here. I also dont believe they have anything that will stop the trees normal process of producing seeds and pollen. You never know. We clone people now and split atoms. Its not impossible.
Good luck, (by the way my grandma's pool is the same way.)she still has the mess.
Darin

Back