Metal Detector For Rebar In Stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

under_the_hill

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I often work in a development where the developer used 3 to 4 pieces of rebar for anchoring in every oak, elm, maple, and river birch installed. For safety and financial reasons I'd like to check for rebar in these tree stumps before bringing my grinder in. Sometimes the customer or a previous owner has removed the rebar.

Does anyone have any recommendations or not recommendations? I was looking at a basic model like a Garrett Ace 200 or 300. Rebar is typically 1/2" and 3 to 4 feet long. Getting that unwrapped from a grinder is no fun.

I cut the trees and I've only been able to find 2 pieces before grinding. The rest are typical grown into the stump & root flare or deep enough down that it'd take quite a bit of searching to find them. Last time I found some in a river birch that had no reason to need rebar at planting time - they just used it everywhere - so I think a metal detector is the best option.

Went with a Garrett Ace 400, will report back.

Latest posts

Back