metal inside the tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG D

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I went out on a demo with a stump grinder the other day and the house we went too had 8 different stumps (elm). Each stump was about 30 inches in diameter. Each stump also had chain link and metal stakes coming out of the middle. Needless to say, I told the guy I was demoing for to pick another day. Has anyone had this expirience and what did you do to get the stumps out?

Never attempted to grind a stump with fencing in it. I did find a railroad spike while grinding a stump. I have heard of guys finding wire baskets that were left on from planting. Eric

Let em rot! I have no problem grinding through wire baskets, but the chain link might be a little much, could jam the wheel. On a big machine though i might not worry about too much, if theres a stake in there no way i'd try it.

The only way I could think of is a backhoe. They yard looked terrible. I could imagine how long you would have to let them rot. I would'nt want to try it either thats why I left. I also thought you could burn them out but you'd have the fire dept on you real fast. Any other expieriences keep them coming. Thanks

Back