ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal wrap on dogwood

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by Sean D, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sean D

Sean D New Member

Hello all

Stumbled onto this site doing some research on dogwoods. I recently moved into a new home with a row of dogwoods that seem to be in decent shape. However, a few have a partial sheet metal wrap and wire around the trunk. My neighbor told me that they were added to prevent beavers that were wreaking havoc awhile ago. I noticed that the tree bark was actually growing over the wrap and the wrap also seems to be covering the damaged area as well. The wrap is difficult to remove and would probably have to cut into the trunk of the tree to remove it. Should I leave the wrap in place or remove? I feel like having to cut into the tree would also damage it. What is the lesser of two evils? I’ve included a couple of photos. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. ATH

ATH Addicted to ArboristSite

I'd try to 'wiggle' it out the best you can. But parts probably won't come out. I think you are right to not damage the trunk by taking it out. I'd cut it out as close as you can without damaging the tree. If you can't get it out, you want the tree to fully engulf the metal as soon as possible and graft itself back together.

3. redlawn 78

redlawn 78 ArboristSite Member

If the metal is wrapped fully around the trunk and it's left even a little but still making a full circle around, wouldn't it girdle the tree and create problems for the it in the future?