midsize saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim L Gorman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a saw to replace our XL 12 homelite's. we looked at the 036,044,and the 046. we have a o88 and love it,we are updating all are saws.I like the 046 but never used one,lived with homelites too long,they don't let me out much! Any imput?

When I finally retired my SXL-AO Homelite, it was replaced with a Jonsered 2065. The red paint will help ease the shock of leaving the Homelites in the shop. :D

Tim,

i have a 046, what a monster wrapped in a small package. I run it with a 24" on the big stuff, but mostly i run an 18" bar. An with the 18 the saw is perfectly balanced and man alive its like having a beaver doped up on a mix of crack, steriods, and foot up its @#$.

sonny

Tim is obviously an experienced saw user. To even think about suggesting an 029/290 is like suggesting a Craftsman lawnmower to someone in the lawn business! I'm sorry, but the 029/039 saws are not worthy of consideration to anyone but the occasional user or garage sale crowd. They are worse than the 025 and almost as bad as the 009. Stihl is capable of making good saws, but their 'homeowner' line is nothing better than the junk on the shelf at Home Depot.
I have a hard time recommending ANY odd-numbered Stihl saw to anyone who depends on their saws for a living. The 'pro' saws (even numbered) that Stihl makes are among the best on the market, though.

Geez treeclimber that it easy. Replace the xl12 can not be done itx was a great saw.( MID SIZE). I know were out hear west & the 029 is one if not the most popular saw w/ tree services.Its the most reliable odd # Stihl on the market.

Tim,046 is a great saw,it's one of the best all around saws(along with the 372 husky)you can get.It will last for years and will hold a very good resale value. see if you can find a dealer who will let you try one.:D Dan

The stihl 044 has the best power to wieght ratio of the mid range saws. Unfortunately it has no decompressor so starting can be an argument with balims donkey. Question really is what do you want to do with the saw - groundwork( felling,firewood, etc) or climbing - (Chogging down large trunks) I use an 026 for most work, 020t in the tree and a 066 for large felling and chogging - usually with a 35in bar. Now I too feel a ned to fill the mid range hole in my arsenal of saws.

All the best,

Andrew

I was at a hardware screwing around this weekend and picked up an 029, what a useless piece of crap. That things belongs in the sixties with its power to weight ratio. the thing looks like it should be six hp. Look at one next to an 026 and it is a joke. There are so many other options for the same price it boggles my mind how Stihl got so many people to buy that thing. I dont know how they sleep at night. For a light midrange saw get a 357xp Husqvarna and never look back

beekeeper,

not to be a stickler but the 066 has the best advertised (powerhead only) power to weight followed closely by the 046 THEN the 044 is next.

066 = 7/16.3 = .429 hp per lb
046 = 6.03/14.4 = .418 hp per lb
044 = 5.36/13.5 = .397 hp per lb

what can i say i always run the numbers.

Tim go for the stihl you wont be sorry. Because all the options and as you can see more hp per pound period.

Oh Huskyman,

The more power you want the more its going to cost. If you could buy a 372XP for the price of a 55 Rancher then you would never have bought a 55. The 046 costs like $50 more and its worth it. The decompression button is pretty nice after working all day with it.

cut safe
confused

Back