MIG Welder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I’m needing a 110v MiG welder I can piggy back from my Hobart 200amp 100% duty cycle gas engine welder. I’d like to go with a good decent machine with stargon gas? Capability of welding 3/16” to 1/4” thick steel and lower to weld muffler mods. Any suggestions on what’s good right now. I wonder how good those suit case migs are. I need something cost effective since I don’t have a ton of work.

With out more study I would say your premise is wrong. I have a Lincoln that draws 15 Amp which works great on sheet metal and automotive panels, but approaching 1/4'' steel plate not so much. If you were able to preheat what you were welding then maybe OK. Your Hobart should be able to weld the steel plate and use the 110 volt for lite stuff. You can buy a Horror Fright unit for a $100 for occasional use. When I buy some thing that I plan on using often then I try to find a high quality Lincoln or equivalent but for others any thing will do. Maybe look around for some thing used on CL. Thanks

So a basic MIG welder with stargon gas, a Lincoln, a Hobart or a Eastwood. I’ll look for sales.

On my loader project I can tack weld plates the arc weld them with the big Hobart.

I have a 140 Hobart and it's pretty much maxed out with 3/16" material unless you want to run several passes. My neighbor has a 210 mvp Hobart and it will handle 5/16" quite well. Both of these are set up with solid .030 wire and 75/25 gas. Everlast welders get good reviews for the price IF you can stomach Chinese stuff, but their customer service sounds like a joke if you need help.

Stargon is just a brand name.

C25 (25% C02, 75% argon) is what I've always used for steel. 100% Co2 works as well. Will allow for a bit more penetration on an undersized machine too. Just not as clean of a job.

I've run my 175 amp Lincoln (240v) on a gen set. It doesn't weld nearly as smooth as when plugged to the wall, but it'll get stuff stuck back together.

A 120v machine won't weld 1/4" steel without pre-heat/multiple passes, bevel, etc.
Looking at a 200 amp (or larger) machine to do 1/4"

Well,I'm confused.
A suitcase welder runs of YOUR engine driven welder.
Your welder supplies the power/amps to the machine.
Work best with a machine that has CC/CV.
You have a 200amp engine driven welder/generator,right?
Why not use it to weld heavier/thicker material?
Guess I'm missing something.
But,110v ,look at the Hobart handler 140.
Shouldn't break the bank($450 or so) and it's a solid Machine for 110 volt.
Muffler work the duty cycle will be plenty,you can weld 1/4" material with the correct bevel and a 3 pass weld,gas ready.

I picked up a mint olde Hobart wisconsin powered 200 amp welder 4,000watt generator 100% duty cycle she’s a beast, I’d like to work her into my equipment as a power source. I’d like to operate a MiG and tig inverter welders from it. I want the MiG for tacking Metal inplace and doing muffler mods. I also need a tig for repairing cracks in magnesium cases. Mount her on a nice trailer with a folding bench. I better find out what Power the genny makes first. I wonder if it can power low end 220 v machines.

4kw gen set isn't going to power many MIG and most TIG welders.

I tried running my Lincoln 175 off a 4kw Generac. It constantly tripped the breaker or stalled it.
A 7.5kw gen set runs it ok, though it doesn't weld as smooth.
Maybe just my setup.

Not to mention MIG is tough to do outside if there's much more than a light breeze. TIG isn't happening.

Do you not have electricity at your garage?

4kw gen set isn't going to power many MIG and most TIG welders.
I tried running my Lincoln 175 off a 4kw Generac. It constantly tripped the breaker or stalled it.A 7.5kw gen set runs it ok, though it doesn't weld as smooth.Maybe just my setup. Not to mention MIG is tough to do outside if there's much more than a light breeze. TIG isn't happening.
Do you not have electricity at your garage?

All the portable stuff I have ever used or tried do not weld smooth. The best diesel powered portable units are the best because of the inertia they have. The startup cycle is where the problem is. It takes a moment to strike the arc as compared to a powered grid. Thanks

All the portable stuff I have ever used or tried do not weld smooth. The best diesel powered portable units are the best because of the inertia they have. The startup cycle is where the problem is. It takes a moment to strike the arc as compared to a powered grid. Thanks

We have an old Miller engine driven stick welder.
Onan or maybe Briggs engine, I forget.
Was given to us, was high hours and it a bit of a mosquito fogger.
It takes some getting used to to run that thing.
Strike an arc and it bogs down for a second. It's enough that often end up sticking the rod or losing the arc.

Maybe you haven't used good equipment yet?

The 120 or 110 volt wire feed welders are generally for flux core self shielding wire. Mig, metal inert gas, needs the polarity switched. Same with cored gas shielded wire though I doubt it comes small enough for this class. How easy to switch polarity on this class welder? Obviously a gas solenoid compatible device.

I have an everlast 140i mig for light work. It has worked well for me for since 2014. Consumables have never been an issue as it take the euro style tweeco mig lead and the ground clamp is a ground clamp. I have had 2 issues with it, the power cord is way too short, and the on off switch in the back of the unit.(would have been nice to be on the front) I guess not problems so much as inconvenient. I do wish I had bought a bigger machine, as I have to run and borrow my dads lincoln 225 ranger for bigger projects. Polarity change is easy, and it came set up for gas. May be one day I'll get to own a miller or Lincoln. Just my 2 cents

Back